How will the Leafs and Raptors share Maple leafs Square/Jurassic Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Brawl. Hockey sticks vs.. basketballs.

I in no way condone civil violence but it would be kinda funny.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
What happens now? Raps are at home Wednesday and the Leafs play Game 7.

If they play the Raps game over the Leaf game because they are at home, that would be awful :help:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Didn't they already put extra screens at the square? They can show multiple channels there without problems.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I can't imagine them passing on game 7 too please the 100 basketball fans that go down to maple leafs square.

This is quite simply a matter of 100's vs 1000's and game 5 vs game 7.

Obvious is to show game 7 and please the masses?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Road games is a split screen IIRC

Even with that stated policy, I don't see how they can't go split screen here. I'd expect the same if the Leafs had a non-elimination game at home vs a Raptors elimination game.

Real Sports is showing the Leafs on the main screen over the Raptors fwiw (that should be no surprise).

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I thought the policy had already been stated. The team playing at home gets the square.

EDIT: Here's an article about it.

Leafs and Raptors announce plans for huge tailgate parties outside ACC

So, the square will belong to the Raptors on Wednesday night.

However, I've never heard what the policy is if both teams are playing road games at the same time.
What an absolutely piss poor idea.
Not harping on basketball at all( I love the raps) but they literally got less than 100 people out to Jurassic Park last game.

How do they get the screens over thousands of leafs fans?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Also before we get out of hand with the false info here, this is the Raps crowd on Sunday. Leafs also fill the back area towards Simcoe which is an extra 1.5-2K people or so.

Dba9w1NXkAEtYiB.jpg
Dba9w1NXkAEtYiB.jpg

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Logically, you split the screens.

I understand the whole entitlement thing, and understand that this is a hockey board, but you split the screens.

This would totally ruin the vibe. The whole thing the square has going for it is that you have a group of fans united around a common, singular goal. Splitting the screens would undermine that. What if one team's winning and the other's losing? Wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

Obviously I'm biased (I view hockey as the most beautiful sport in the world and I think basketball sucks), but come on. We're talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs and their illustrious 100 year history, with a chance to advance past round 1 for the first time in over a decade in Game 7 against their rivals.... versus the Toronto Raptors in a non-elimination game. It really isn't a contest.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Also before we get out of hand with the false info here, this is the Raps crowd on Sunday. Leafs also fill the back area towards Simcoe which is an extra 1.5-2K people or so.

Dba9w1NXkAEtYiB.jpg
Dba9w1NXkAEtYiB.jpg
Sorry, that would be directed at me. I just remember seeing clips from last weekend where there were probably literally less than 100 people there.

Even so though, wouldn't it make more sense to please an extra 2000 people especially considering it's an elimination game?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
This would totally ruin the vibe. The whole thing the square has going for it is that you have a group of fans united around a common, singular goal. Splitting the screens would undermine that. What if one team's winning and the other's losing? Wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

Obviously I'm biased (I view hockey as the most beautiful sport in the world and I think basketball sucks), but come on. We're talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs and their illustrious 100 year history, with a chance to advance past round 1 for the first time in over a decade in Game 7 against their rivals.... versus the Toronto Raptors in a non-elimination game. It really isn't a contest.

A lot going on in this post. Too much to unpack while I'm at work.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Here I was thinking that both Toronto teams winning crucial games was a common, singular goal.

Sorry, that would be directed at me. I just remember seeing clips from last weekend where there were probably literally less than 100 people there.

Even so though, wouldn't it make more sense to please an extra 2000 people especially considering it's an elimination game?

I'm in no way going to doubt that there would be more Leaf fans than Raptor fans if you had two separate squares, but there's still a lot of common overlap here. Which is why the split screen is good for everyone.

And with the staggered start times, the intermissions/halftimes should nicely intersect each other. End of the Raps game should come during the 2nd intermission and then the third period of the Leaf game is free to run (pray for Mojo if the Raps go into OT with a tied Game 7 heading into the third).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad