How will the Leafs and Raptors share Maple leafs Square/Jurassic Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
By holding hands. Every other fan must be a Raptors or a Leafs fan at the square.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
People that went, how was your experience? Would there be a good spot at around 6:30? I want to go this year.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I admire Leafs fans and Raptors fans who go out and watch it on the big screen. I can't see myself doing it though. I'd probably get tired from looking up and standing for 2.5 hours. Plus weather would be an issue too. Although, I did go to the Nucks-Bruins outdoor viewing parties back in 2011. I'd expect the experience to be similar (minus the post game 7 ruckus). :lol:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
People that went, how was your experience? Would there be a good spot at around 6:30? I want to go this year.

I love it there. They have pizza, beer, and portapotties. The screen and sound is relatively good quality. There is security there, but it wasn't super strict.

I found that it got more popular as the series went on and especially on the weekends or Friday.

Even for game 1, I would show up at least an hour early to be safe. Half an hour early could be full by then. I suspect for the Saturday game, you'll need to be around 2 hours early to be safe. But these things are getting really popular, so maybe my estimates are off. Hard to know.

There is one main area right under the TV where they have all the pizza, beer, etc. If you don't get in that main area, they have another section that is further back but that is garbage and you're better off watching the game somewhere else. So show up early to get a spot in the main area.

And dress very warm.

Reactions: Tonka and Hoverhand

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why obviously?

Because there's a reason it's Maple Leaf Square owned Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. The importance of each club to the city is just not comparable.

I am of course talking about the scenario where it can be only one fanbase adequately serviced in the square. If you can do both well simultaneously of course you do both

ADTH89

Oct 14, 2017
Home games or the earlier starting game should take precedence. Culture war between one team fans in this city is so lame.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Home games or the earlier starting game should take precedence. Culture war between one team fans in this city is so lame.

I don't think earlier start should have any bearing on what is displayed.

Obviously best case scenario is they find a way to accommodate both fanbases simultaneously.

Too late for this now but if the norm is gonna be Raptor and Leafs teams both in playoffs and let's hope so, install a second screen and broadcast both.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
MLSE - Maple Leaf sports and entertainment

To me that answers the question. But i think usually the teams alternate game days to not be on the same night for most of the series'

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Just for the record, MLSE was founded in 1997 when Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. merged with the Toronto Raptors Basketball Club. MLGL purchased 100% of the Raptors and the ACC, from Allan Slaight and the Bank of Nova Scotia on February 12, 1998. MLGL paid a reported $467 million, made up of $179 million for the team and $288 million for the arena. Richard Peddie, who had been President of the Toronto Raptors, was retained in the merger and became MLSE's President and CEO. July 1997, the company adopted a new name, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), to reflect its broader holdings.

So the Raptors are just as much part of the MLSE's history than the Maple Leafs. Without the Raptors, there would no ACC anyway.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Whoever is playing at home will get the screen. Its been always like that.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Because there's a reason it's Maple Leaf Square owned Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. The importance of each club to the city is just not comparable.

I am of course talking about the scenario where it can be only one fanbase adequately serviced in the square. If you can do both well simultaneously of course you do both

In case you missed the last 10-15 years, basketball popularity is up, and hockey is down. Among younger sports fans, basketball is #1 for a multitude of reasons. Leafs are my #1, but if you think that just because you don't care about the Raptors, nobody else does, you're very mistaken.

Either way, there is precedent already, and home games get first crack.
  • If both teams are on the road, first game starts with the Square, followed by the other's game right after (usually ends up empty because nobody wants to wait in line while the game is going on - I'd suggest watching the Leafs at a bar and then popping over during intermission after the Raptors game ends, in that situation).
  • If they're both on at the same time, it's a split screen with extra screens throughout the crowd.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Oh no, both Toronto, NBA and NHL teams are actually contenders who could make deep playoff runs... who could have ever predicted this could happen :sarcasm:

The answer is "happily". There are going to be a lot of pumped fans for both teams out; look for them to feed off each-other, rather then somehow compete for attention/space.

After-all, it isn't like cities never have more than one good sports team at a time... well at least in other cities ;)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
In case you missed the last 10-15 years, basketball popularity is up, and hockey is down. Among younger sports fans, basketball is #1 for a multitude of reasons. Leafs are my #1, but if you think that just because you don't care about the Raptors, nobody else does, you're very mistaken.

Either way, there is precedent already, and home games get first crack.
  • If both teams are on the road, first game starts with the Square, followed by the other's game right after (usually ends up empty because nobody wants to wait in line while the game is going on - I'd suggest watching the Leafs at a bar and then popping over during intermission after the Raptors game ends, in that situation).
  • If they're both on at the same time, it's a split screen with extra screens throughout the crowd.

Raptors popularity is up but it's still well behind the Leafs. Add in the history of the Leafs franchise and importance to the city isn't close. I'm sorry if you don't like my stating the fact.

Whether I like basketball, which I never said I didn't, is immaterial in the discussion. I never said anything close to that it should go to the Leafs because I like them better and furthermore I even stated the best case scenario would be to find a way to do both simultaneously if it can be done well.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I know the first year they did it back in 2013 it was a complete mess. I don't think they were selling food or drinks or alcohol and there were no toilets or portapotties. A friend of mine went and people were pissing in bottles they brought in. I remember walking along the side of Bremner to get into the ACC and there was a girl passed out on the sidewalk covered in puke, with paramedics coming to help her. Just a mess.

It's improved now and is much more controlled, so if you don't mind standing in a crowd of people for 3-5 hours then you should have a good time.

Reactions: Tonka

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
They learned from Vancouver 2011. Police were told to not be "visible", but keep an eye on the crowd. Clearly that philosophy didn't work. I think the whole European football model was adopted, whereby security and police are off to the side and very clearly visible. I think it's needed...otherwise, this happens to the screen. LOL.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Raptors popularity is up but it's still well behind the Leafs. Add in the history of the Leafs franchise and importance to the city isn't close. I'm sorry if you don't like my stating the fact.

Whether I like basketball, which I never said I didn't, is immaterial in the discussion. I never said anything close to that it should go to the Leafs because I like them better and furthermore I even stated the best case scenario would be to find a way to do both simultaneously if it can be done well.

Fair enough, I spoke in hyperbole about you not caring about the Raptors. All I'm saying is that the Leafs general irrelevance for the past decade-plus, along with a rapidly growing demographic of basketball fans...I wouldn't be so quick to say that the Leafs are more important to the city. Both have huge followings now, and I don't think either should preempt the other. I say this being a lifelong Leafs fan that couldn't have cared if the Raptors re-located 10 years ago.

Either way, I'm just happy that Toronto sports are once again relevant enough to have a conversation about which team's success is more important and have competing playoff schedules. It's a problem I'll gladly take all the way through June if it means success for both franchises.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
They learned from Vancouver 2011. Police were told to not be "visible", but keep an eye on the crowd. Clearly that philosophy didn't work. I think the whole European football model was adopted, whereby security and police are off to the side and very clearly visible. I think it's needed...otherwise, this happens to the screen. LOL.

Complete morons. My biggest fear is that as the Leafs start making deeper playoff runs, more and more bandwagon/fairweather fans that really don't follow the team or care that much will come out of the woodwork and something like this will happen.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Complete morons. My biggest fear is that as the Leafs start making deeper playoff runs, more and more bandwagon/fairweather fans that really don't follow the team or care that much will come out of the woodwork and something like this will happen.

Well, there is a slight difference. The outdoor viewing parties were organized by the city, not the Canucks. So there was no private security present, only the police. The police didn't have a say in who could enter and watch and who couldn't. That resulted in massive crowds without proper partitions and that resulted in large sections of people being unmonitored and this is where the trouble began. It actually began between 2nd intermission...people climbing traffic signals and street signs and trees...then they started shooting fireworks into other sections of the crowds. Police couldn't get to them because the crowds weren't properly partitioned. It was just a big mess.

In the case of Maple Leaf Square, it's being organized by ACC (MLSE), so they have private security present alongside Toronto Police. They also partition off sections so security can easily walk through and monitor everyone. So I don't think much will happen...and if it does, they'll pounce pretty quickly. Technically it's not public property, it's MLSE property.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Well, there is a slight difference. The outdoor viewing parties were organized by the city, not the Canucks. So there was no private security present, only the police. The police didn't have a say in who could enter and watch and who couldn't. That resulted in massive crowds without proper partitions and that resulted in large sections of people being unmonitored and this is where the trouble began. It actually began between 2nd intermission...people climbing traffic signals and street signs and trees...then they started shooting fireworks into other sections of the crowds. Police couldn't get to them because the crowds weren't properly partitioned. It was just a big mess.

In the case of Maple Leaf Square, it's being organized by ACC (MLSE), so they have private security present alongside Toronto Police. They also partition off sections so security can easily walk through and monitor everyone. So I don't think much will happen...and if it does, they'll pounce pretty quickly. Technically it's not public property, it's MLSE property.
Makes sense, thanks for the added context.

In general, I more meant the rioting that happened in Vancouver as a whole. My fear is that a deep run to the finals will bring in some of the people who start trouble everywhere they go and don't care that it impacts the reputation and image of the city and the team.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I also think if the Leafs (or Raptors) get deep enough into the playoffs they'll use the Rogers Centre to show the games if the Jays are on the road (the Jays only play 6 home games between May 25 and June 14). Which should help crowd control as well.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm going to go for Game 1. Going to aim to be there between 5 and 5:30. I think that should be early enough given that it's game 1 and it might be raining. I don't really care if I get wet. I messaged some of my buddies, but not sure if any of them will be able to make it. If anyone else is going solo and wants someone to chat with before the game, send me a DM and we can meet up down there.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Poor Kids from the Suburbs were able to restock their Wardrobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad