How will the Leafs and Raptors share Maple leafs Square/Jurassic Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
MLSE has little (no) say. Games will likely draw Saturday in the early afternoon. The NBA TV ratings will dictate the schedule.

Disagree.

MLSE owns both teams so they have incentive to maximize eyeballs on the TV and in the square. Running games at the same time, or even same day could hurt either of the teams.

Pretty sure every effort will be made to reasonably avoid this scenario. The NBA doesn't want the Raptors going against the Leafs in the same time slot and conversely the NHL doesn't want the Leafs going against the Raptors.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Disagree.

MLSE owns both teams so they have incentive to maximize eyeballs on the TV and in the square. Running games at the same time, or even same day could hurt either of the teams.

Pretty sure every effort will be made to reasonably avoid this scenario. The NBA doesn't want the Raptors going against the Leafs in the same time slot and conversely the NHL doesn't want the Leafs going against the Raptors.

The NBA cares not about the Canadian market as it does not move the needle in the slightest.

The Raptors draw the non-marquee slot, and that's traditionally Saturday at about 12:00. Which should be fine, as the Leafs will likely draw the marquee slot for the NHL.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
The NBA cares not about the Canadian market as it does not move the needle in the slightest.

The Raptors draw the non-marquee slot, and that's traditionally Saturday at about 12:00. Which should be fine, as the Leafs will likely draw the marquee slot for the NHL.

Yeah, of the Eastern Conference matchups, the Raptors will be the lowest rated on for US audiences. It's possible we luck out and get the Sunday noon game, but either way the Raptors would have one of the two noon games. Same as how the Jays got screwed with the weekday afternoon games in 2015 &16.

MLSE announces the Playoff Fan Plan for the Raptors (and Leafs)

- From game to game, Air Canada Centre will become a playoff hub for whichever team is playing at home. If the Leafs or Raptors are playing within the arena, the tailgate party in Maple Leaf Square will also be dedicated exclusively to that team;
- Both the Leafs and Raptors will host tailgate parties for away games, provided the other team is not playing a home game at the same time;
- If both teams play on the same day at different times, Maple Leaf Square will transition from one team’s tailgate party to the other after the first game of the day has concluded;
- If both teams play away games on the same day, at the same time, the Bremner Board will feature a split screen broadcast with both games shown simultaneously;
- If two games are being shown, Maple Leaf Square will also feature additional, smaller support screens.​

That's from last year, so I don't see there being a different plan this year...

Reactions: supermann_98

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, of the Eastern Conference matchups, the Raptors will be the lowest rated on for US audiences. It's possible we luck out and get the Sunday noon game, but either way the Raptors would have one of the two noon games. Same as how the Jays got screwed with the weekday afternoon games in 2015 &16.

MLSE announces the Playoff Fan Plan for the Raptors (and Leafs)

That's from last year, so I don't see there being a different plan this year...

This.

The 1st Jays Texas series was on Fox Sports1, which I had never of heard of before, and it wasn’t part of cable or satellite sports packages. I don’t think, at that time, it was even available for every provider.
Of course, they all force you to buy ESPN at outrageous prices

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think they will share but if they both go on a deep run I'd be very surprised to see them not favour the Leafs. The Leafs are worth roughly half a billlion more and there is a good case you make that the Leafs are under valued because of how bad they have been. If the Leafs keep playing well I'd be surprised if they weren't the first NHL franchise to crack two billion dollars in net worth.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Disagree.

Depends if the Leafs are out before the Raptors start playoffs ? Since Raptors fans are far and away the Toughest Dudes in the GTA I expect them to Rule the Park any time they so desire.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Depends if the Leafs are out before the Raptors start playoffs ? Since Raptors fans are far and away the Toughest Dudes in the GTA I expect them to Rule the Park any time they so desire.

That has nothing to do with anything, MLSE control the screens and they decide what plays. This isn't a street brawl.

Last edited:

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014

lmao i hope this is sarcasm.. dont be stupid

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We won't have to worry unless the Raps make it to the ECF...the US networks always have us playing in the afternoon.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

PFFFT screw you, leaf fans actually play a contact sport

not a sport where ghost contact constitutes a foul :naughty:

Bring it on chucker:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad