How will the Leafs and Raptors share Maple leafs Square/Jurassic Park?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol Swaghammer

Sep 1, 2011
Because there's a reason it's Maple Leaf Square owned Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. The importance of each club to the city is just not comparable.

I am of course talking about the scenario where it can be only one fanbase adequately serviced in the square. If you can do both well simultaneously of course you do both

I think that was true about a decade ago, but at this point I'm not so sure. They're both worth the same. And the Raptors have the benefit of the absurd NBA TV deal. The Leafs are still more important, but from a business perspective that gap has basically closed.

Toronto Raptors on the Forbes NBA Team Valuations List
Toronto Maple Leafs on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Franchise value and importance to city not the same thing.

Regeading their respective value however, they arent really comparable. Basketball teams generally speaking are worth much more than Hockey teams. Itd be more interesting to see how the Raptor sit among NBA clubs vs the Leafs among NHL

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Raptors are extremely likely to get the 5:30 Saturday start based on some stuff that's come out today, so will be a similar situation to last year (Raptors game on the big screen until 8:00-ish and then flip over to the Leaf game).

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Valuations of MLSE franchises 2008–present
(in millions of US dollars)
Leafs = Blue, Raptors = Red, TFC = Green
e784b4cdfc5d43f4bdcd1802928112bd.png

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Was planning on driving down to Toronto from Ottawa (Parents live in Scarborough) with the gf to take in game 2 this Saturday with you yahoos in ML Square.

Just checked the weather....yikes...1 degree....freezing rain...threat of ice storm. Harsh.

Gonna have to bring a couple of sweaters to wear under my Leafs Jersey.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
With the weather as it is I'd much rather be at home with the big screen and a pizza than be outside. Especially for game 1 or 2.

I watch the majority of the regular season games at home. I'll probably have to watch the majority of the playoff games at home.

It's worth it to watch a few playoff games downtown. Whether it's at a bar or at Maple Leafs Square... you gotta experience it. Not saying you should watch every game downtown, but I feel like you're missing out on the real playoff atmosphere if you just sit at home and watch it. It's really fun to be downtown when the Leafs are in the playoffs.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I watch the majority of the regular season games at home. I'll probably have to watch the majority of the playoff games at home.

It's worth it to watch a few playoff games downtown. Whether it's at a bar or at Maple Leafs Square... you gotta experience it. Not saying you should watch every game downtown, but I feel like you're missing out on the real playoff atmosphere if you just sit at home and watch it. It's really fun to be downtown when the Leafs are in the playoffs.
I can understand the appeal but I personally can't watch games at a bar. Way too many idiots who don't really know what's happening and are there because it's cool. I do understand the desire to watch somewhere that's loud, though.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I can understand the appeal but I personally can't watch games at a bar. Way too many idiots who don't really know what's happening and are there because it's cool. I do understand the desire to watch somewhere that's loud, though.

Stop generalizing !

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Will be interested to see how the 'home team owns the square' rule holds up with a potential Game 7 here conflicting with Game 5 of Raps/Wizards

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Will be interested to see how the 'home team owns the square' rule holds up with a potential Game 7 here conflicting with Game 5 of Raps/Wizards
If the Leafs are playing game 7 will anyone in the city realize a basketball game is on?

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
April 14th and April 25th will be the only day both teams play. 25th is obviously TBD...hoping for a double sweep. But do the NBA and NHL have some agreement not to have clashing game times? Or does MLSE request it?

Game 1: Washington Wizards vs Toronto Raptors @ 5:30 EST (Saturday April 14th)
Game 2: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins @ 8:00 EST (Saturday April 14th)

Game 5: Washington Wizards vs Toronto Raptors @ TBD (Wednesday April 25th)
Game 7: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins @ TBD (Wednesday April 25th)

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If the Leafs are playing game 7 will anyone in the city realize a basketball game is on?

Hey :cry:

Also the same night as the CCL second leg. What an immense sports night that could be.

Usually Leafs game start at 7:00...Game 1, 3 and 4 will all start at 7:00pm EST. So clearly the 8:00pm start was influenced by the Raptors game.

The 8 PM start Saturday is because its on NBC. And that means its actually an 8:20 puck drop so there should be zero overlap between the Raps and Leafs which is quite good.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think that was true about a decade ago, but at this point I'm not so sure. They're both worth the same. And the Raptors have the benefit of the absurd NBA TV deal. The Leafs are still more important, but from a business perspective that gap has basically closed.

Toronto Raptors on the Forbes NBA Team Valuations List
Toronto Maple Leafs on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List
The reason for that is revenues are so much higher in the NBA. They have a great U.S tv deal that the Raptors get a piece of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad