How much to extend D-Cat and Strome?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The difference why TB can get guys to take a bit less than they would get on the open market is because Florida is a better tax situation than in most bother States or in Canadian NHL cities ...Take home pay makes up for taking a bit less than true market value.

Illinois is not a low tax state and so D-Cat and Strome's agents ate Not going to give up proper value just to do the Hawks a favour on the cap till they can get Crawford and Seabrook off the books when the 2020/21 season gets going..

The benefits of that are largely exaggerated. I wonder if that’s a thing people on TSN or other Canadian hockey media outlets are weaving. Pretty funny if they are, because it’s such a false narrative and it comes off as ignorant whining

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The benefits of that are largely exaggerated. I wonder if that’s a thing people on TSN or other Canadian hockey media outlets are weaving. Pretty funny if they are, because it’s such a false narrative and it comes off as ignorant whining

What's false?

There's a take home pay benefit to playing half your games in Florida.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The knock on Strome and D-Cat is their skating ...they do not have the speed to "close" fast enough in checking assignments. .Defensive improvement could come from more experience playing at the NHL level..this means their defensive anticipation/"reads" ought to get better with time ...No fault with their offensive abilities..

If Hawks could work with them to improve skating
.even a mere 20% improvement in speed would make them even better...especially defensively.

Can skating be improved that much? I do not know... It did seem that Toes improved this year from the 3 prior years where he looked a lot slower..He changed his training methods and probably worked with a skating coach or on certain skating drills in theviff-season..

Do not know if D-Cat and Strome can add a bit more speed ..but if they can ?Can you imagine ?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What's false?

There's a take home pay benefit to playing half your games in Florida.

Fiddy said "THE difference" for why Tampa can get guys to sign a perceived discount is their tax situation, but it's not that black and white. It implies a bunch of things and ignores a bunch of other things. Long story short, the differences are negligible and not worth the crying

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Fiddy said "THE difference" for why Tampa can get guys to sign a perceived discount is their tax situation, but it's not that black and white. It implies a bunch of things and ignores a bunch of other things. Long story short, the differences are negligible and not worth the crying

I'm not sure I understand then.

While I agree it's not THE sole difference, how is the difference negligible?

Not being a dick here, I'm actually curious if you know the breakdown. Like for instance, what's the take home pay for a $10 million contact in Illinois vs. Florida?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The knock on Strome and D-Cat is their skating ...they do not have the speed to "close" fast enough in checking assignments. .Defensive improvement could come from more experience playing at the NHL level..this means their defensive anticipation/"reads" ought to get better with time ...No fault with their offensive abilities..

If Hawks could work with them to improve skating
.even a mere 20% improvement in speed would make them even better...especially defensively.

Can skating be improved that much? I do not know... It did seem that Toes improved this year from the 3 prior years where he looked a lot slower..He changed his training methods and probably worked with a skating coach or on certain skating drills in theviff-season..

Do not know if D-Cat and Strome can add a bit more speed ..but if they can ?Can you imagine ?
Skating is far and away the easiest thing for an NHL player to improve. The fact they can already play with how their skating currently is means they’ll be just fine.

And if you’ll notice, neither of their games are based off of speed, which means their games should age very well as well.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Maybe someone could expain as I don’t follow politics. Why don’t they vote in/pass a law that allows pro athletes in Canada to be taxed at a reduced rate?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Pasta and Nylander are the two names I see as comparable. 7x7.5 range I’m cool with. They really are best friends too so hopefully they just wanna play together forever

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Maybe someone could expain as I don’t follow politics. Why don’t they vote in/pass a law that allows pro athletes in Canada to be taxed at a reduced rate?

I know Canada is crazy about hockey, but I can't imagine the average citizen's being excited about giving millionaires an additional tax break so the hockey team is better.

Reactions: swerdnase

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

What do you mean?

American citizen players who play in Canada have their income taxed at 15%, I believe. So there is already a break for those who are American citizens, but collect their paychecks from Canadian organizations. Breakdown of it all below.

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What do you mean?

American citizen players who play in Canada have their income taxed at 15%, I believe. So there is already a break for those who are American citizens, but collect their paychecks from Canadian organizations. Breakdown of it all below.

John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract

Right, but there are still local taxes they could get a break on, property taxes, sales taxes. Hell, theoretically, the Canadian government could reimburse them for all of their taxes, even the American ones.

I know Canada is crazy about hockey, but I can't imagine the average citizen's being excited about giving millionaires an additional tax break so the hockey team is better.

/\ Yeah, this is what I mean. It probably wouldn’t make it, but man, they love hockey so I don’t know. Point is, if by law they could solve their own problem but can’t get the votes, that’s on them.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
All of this tax stuff is really confusing for people to understand.

Could someone who has a good understanding of how it all works use an even $10 million contract as an example, and show us what take home pay would look like given different variables?

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Skating is far and away the easiest thing for an NHL player to improve. The fact they can already play with how their skating currently is means they’ll be just fine.

And if you’ll notice, neither of their games are based off of speed, which means their games should age very well as well.

Except it is the hardest.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Except it is the hardest.
No the hardest would be teaching a player to think the game well. Basically, you can’t. They either do or don’t. Obviously you have to put a ton of effort into improving skating, but it’s also an area that has the most room to improve as a player grows.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Regarding the CAP, if NHL revenue increases 5% per year in some estimates by 2020/21 we could be seeing a 90M figure. If we indeed hit 83.5M next year we will have plenty of space.

How the NHL’s salary cap could hit $90-million
This all sounds so familiar when Kane and Toews signed their $10.5 million deals. We all thought the cap was going up due to the strong Canadian dollar and the tar sands blah blah blah. In reality they artificially inflated the cap a few times

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This is not remotely true. Skating is the hardest thing to improve.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No the hardest would be teaching a player to think the game well. Basically, you can’t. They either do or don’t. Obviously you have to put a ton of effort into improving skating, but it’s also an area that has the most room to improve as a player grows.
Brock Boeser has come a long way since his draft year where skating is no longer a concern for him. Power skating coaches, speed skating coaches and even figure skating coaches have helped tons of players over the years - if you can get in with Gary Roberts you will see improvements.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If you look at that guy's charts, the Hawks are a bottom 3 team in the league. I don't buy that.
Listen, logic says Strome is on a hot streak...I'm willing to suspend logic for a little bit because his hockey sense is off the charts. If he hadn't shown elite hockey sense I'd be with most of you guys with regard to hot streak/good...I'm not saying that I'm sure he's going to put up a ppg, but it's more of the "wait and see what the remainder of the season/next season brings" I want to see more before making a grand declaration or anything. Most of you discount the idea that he might be special offensively. I don't discount it, and the reason I don't because of how he thinks the game. Let's see how this plays out first.

I dont necessarily disagree, I just want a bigger sample before going all in on the guy with a big contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
All of this tax stuff is really confusing for people to understand.

Could someone who has a good understanding of how it all works use an even $10 million contract as an example, and show us what take home pay would look like given different variables?
There are 82 games. 41 of the games are on the road. Half of the players states / local tax rate is an aggregate of the taxes played in those cities. 41 of the home games are taxed at the home rate. Hence, there is a good sized impact, but not as big as you'd think. This also includes playoff shares.

That said, endorsement deals will be taxed at your home rate. That matters.

As for playing time in Canada ... we all kmow the issues there including currency translation. If I'm not mistaken, players now ask to be paid in US dollars.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Brock Boeser has come a long way since his draft year where skating is no longer a concern for him. Power skating coaches, speed skating coaches and even figure skating coaches have helped tons of players over the years - if you can get in with Gary Roberts you will see improvements.
Not just Boeser. You see every year guys who have majorly improved their skating. It’s foolish to think a 21 and 20 year olds skating aren’t going to improve in a top training facility.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I dont necessarily disagree, I just want a bigger sample before going all in on the guy with a big contract.
ditto.

he has been put into one hell of a situation. now gets top power play time, played with Kaner for stretches and now his boy Cat...getting top 6 minutes each and every night, this is night and day from him playing bottom 6/scratched with the Yotes. I think we are seeing a player that when put in the right situation can excel. I am not sure he is a guy that can generate a ton of offense without top talent, but that is the case for a lot of players, and that really will not matter as his time here should be spent with nothing but top players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad