How much to extend D-Cat and Strome?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Their 3rd year of ELC's finish next season so Hawks will be needing g to give extant ions covering 2020/21 season and beyond ...How much $$$/ and term?

I do not know if Strome's time in Arizona before the 32 games and reminder of this season he will have played with the Hawks will be counted ...or whether his agent will just use what he has shown with the Hawks to get a proper valuation...

As to D-Cat ...if you took his current pace per game in points and projected for 82 games it would be a 78 pts in just his 2nd season...

If you took Strome's points pace just with the Hawks and projected it out for 82 games that totals 77 points.

Their value at these numbers probably equates to a $6.5 -$7.5 million range Cao hit per season ...term probably is 6-8 years...

If we lock for 8 years then probably the higher end at $7.5 per season..

If still a bit unsure...could go lesser term for less maybe 5 years at $6.275 or 6 years!at $6.75 ...

Anyone think differently?

Both are still flawed defensively ..but agents never look at the +/- ...only at the production numbers.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Their 3rd year of ELC's finish next season so Hawks will be needing g to give extant ions covering 2020/21 season and beyond ...How much $$$/ and term?

I do not know if Strome's time in Arizona before the 32 games and reminder of this season he will have played with the Hawks will be counted ...or whether his agent will just use what he has shown with the Hawks to get a proper valuation...

As to D-Cat ...if you took his current pace per game in points and projected for 82 games it would be a 78 pts in just his 2nd season...

If you took Strome's points pace just with the Hawks and projected it out for 82 games that totals 77 points.

Their value at these numbers probably equates to a $6.5 -$7.5 million range Cao hit per season ...term probably is 6-8 years...

If we lock for 8 years then probably the higher end at $7.5 per season..

If still a bit unsure...could go lesser term for less maybe 5 years at $6.275 or 6 years!at $6.75 ...

Anyone think differently?

Both are still flawed defensively ..but agents never look at the +/- ...only at the production numbers.
Strome and Gus still have a long way to go. A half season's worth or production is not nearly good enough.

Cat is a different story. That kid produces with or without Toews and Kane. We should look at Marner negotiations ... and Panarin's 2nd contract with the Hawks. That should give us a guideline ... leaning more towards Panarin before being traded for Saad.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think DeBrincat gets 7.5-8.5 right now.
Strome depends on if he keeps this up for the rest of the season and what he does during a full season with the Hawks. If they can get him signed to a 4M AAV bridge this summer, they should do it. If Strome is smart he'll bet on himself.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’d be ecstatic to get Cat signed for 8M or less over 8 years this offseason.

If he scores 40 goals this and next year, and then signs, 10-11M.

Strome, I don’t see any reason why he would sign before his ELC is up. After it is up though, 6-7M per if he is a 50-60 point player next year, 9-10M if he is a 70-80 point player.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’d be ecstatic to get Cat signed for 8M or less over 8 years this offseason.

If he scores 40 goals this and next year, and then signs, 10-11M.

Strome, I don’t see any reason why he would sign before his ELC is up. After it is up though, 6-7M per if he is a 50-60 point player next year, 9-10M if he is a 70-80 point player.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad you're not our GM.

Reactions: Rolo

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad you're not our GM.

Not at all, just going off the comps. Of course I’d like to get them cheap.

Let me put it this way. I would not trade Cat for Marner and think he will get 10-11M this offseason.

I can be a bit too generous though, in our fantasy hockey league, looking back, most of my trade offers would have been losses for me if they weren’t declined. So you have a point, lol.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Strome is a tough number to figure out considering his half a season with big production. My guess over $5.0 million on a 5 year deal.
He continues his progress over $6.0 for sure.
D-Cat I'm thinking right between the middle of Marner and his floor would be Nylander at almost $7.0 million.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Cat is willing to take Nylander money with no hold out that’s a screaming good deal. If Strome and Cat really are best friends we’ve got a decent shot at locking them up to somewhat team friendly deals without much fuss.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
DeBrincat at $7,12mil per 8 and Strome $5,17mil 6 years. Both will sign those deals next year in February while playing almost PPG and Cat scoring at 40 goal pace.

Reactions: COHawk

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would love to see Cat in the $6-7 mil max range - wishful thinking, but offer him 8 years for a bit lower hit and see if we can get that to fly.

Strome we have discussed a lot, as it stands I would offer 3 years for $3 mil in this off season - if Bowman waits, then all bets are off and we will see what the kid does next year as a "show me" contract year.
I obviously think this benefits both Strome and the Hawks if a deal is reached in July- it will be a shorter term deal for less AAV which is music to my ears until Keith and Seabs deals are off the books.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
6 years and 7 million is about what I expect DeBrincat to sign for.
Which pretty much replaces Crow's contract in 2020.

Now ... can we switch Seabrook's contract for Strome's potential deal in 2 years?

In a perfect world, both Seabrook and Crow's contracts would be coming off the books in 2020 as Cat and Strome receive their new deals.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Cat will definitely sign for more than 6-7 imo. He'll get atleast 7.5-8. Strome is a bit more complicated. Im in the lot that thinks we should wait on him. But it looks good so far.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cat - 8 years - 60 mil
Strome - 5 years - 25 mil

Just give Strome a similar deal to the one Schmaltz wanted. Also not a bad option to bridge him again and maintain rfa rights then pay him a long term deal.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think DCat will want the length of his extension to get him to UFA status which I'm not sure if it is 5 or 6 years after his ELC is done. If he sign for longer term than that those years at the end of the contract will be less than what he could get going into UFA as a 26/27 year old.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Me and a buddy were discussing this the other day.

I'd give Strome 6/36
I'd give Cat 8/56

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Schmaltz kicks in next year, what the hell do you think Arizona does there?? I would be interested to see what he gets since he did perform well there but got hurt. I think Arizona is in the same boat we are with having to sign Schmaltz and not knowing just how good he can play there long term. Not saying Strome is looking at what Schmaltz get, but if Schmaltz gets over $3 mil, look out folks this could get ugly.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I would love to get Cat at 7 - 8 million over 8 and Strome at 5 - 6 over 5. To do that though, I think Stan needs to channel his inner Tampa Bay (which I don’t know if he has). The next core needs to be sold on taking less in order to build a true contender and trust that rewards will come based on Cup success. On another note, I think what the Leafs are doing is nuts considering they have not won anything and still look, at least to me, to be missing pieces to win the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad