Value of: How much is Drew Doughty worth?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It would take a load of futures plus a salary cap dump. If the Kings wanted to trade Doughty I'm sure they could easily make it happen, but even while they rebuild he isn't going anywhere. So the point is really moot on what he's worth...

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
These weekly threads started by a leaf fan about trading Doughty are becoming tiresome.

Dude has his cups, his fat contract, live by the beach is a mild climate and has a small child at home. Why on earth would he move?

not a Leaf fan but buys like Doughty have a drive to win its why they are stars

May be I am wrong about him but I think he wants to play on a contender at least one more time before he retires

also have seen how much he hates playing against McD but likes hanging with him at ASG etc I could see him wanting to come to Edmonton win a Cup in Canada

Sure not the beach but Oilers a contender next five years Kings not

Whar would I trade tough to say but Bouchard is on the table if Kings take back enough bad cap

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
We saw what the value of Shea Weber was and Doughty is thought of more highly around the league than Weber was. He would get a king's ransom. (pun intended)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
not a Leaf fan but buys like Doughty have a drive to win its why they are stars

May be I am wrong about him but I think he wants to play on a contender at least one more time before he retires

also have seen how much he hates playing against McD but likes hanging with him at ASG etc I could see him wanting to come to Edmonton win a Cup in Canada

Sure not the beach but Oilers a contender next five years Kings not

Whar would I trade tough to say but Bouchard is on the table if Kings take back enough bad cap

I don’t think it happens. The Oilers are very well stocked at D for the foreseeable future and can afford to unload Larsson and Russell. Adding Doughty’s contract would be a disaster. He’s played almost 900 games.. I understand some people might like him, I like him - but not at 11 million through age 36. That’s an earned contract with cups in LA, not a contract to invest in.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The first four years come with a full NMC, and I don't think he's waiving. It becomes a modified NTC in July 2023, and it is probable that he will structure the list he turns in at that time to ensure the seven teams he can be traded to will be cap/budget constrained or rebuilding.
Source: Drew Doughty - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

At any rate, by then he won't be an $11M defenseman and the market will be dry for him. At this point, I think he just wants to live in LA, make a good chunk of change, and relish his multiple Cup wins.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From a hockey career perspective Doughty really locked himself into a rebuilding situation with that contract. He certainly has value but what contender could potentially swoop in, pay the king’s ransom and still fit him under their cap?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I figure Doughty is probably right now worth at least twice as much as what the Kinges could get for him in a trade.
If I remember correctly he was drafted 2nd overall. I think 1st was Tavares or Stamkos. Anyway, I think that says that this dude has been constantly dominating since he was a we little baby and he's still looking incredible.
He's one of the few pieces the Kings have with legit trade value if they want to go into a rebuild and tank for some picks for a few years to build the foundation of the team back up.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only way to move a contract like that is with retention. Nobody want to pay a 35 year old Doughty $11m. Retain $2m and there will start to be interest, but since he already isn’t peak Doughty anymore, I’d guess it takes at least $3m retained to get him traded.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The only way to move a contract like that is with retention. Nobody want to pay a 35 year old Doughty $11m. Retain $2m and there will start to be interest, but since he already isn’t peak Doughty anymore, I’d guess it takes at least $3m retained to get him traded.

Yes only focus on the last year of a doughty contract and ignore the first years where he make your team a contender.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Doughty to the Leafs for Nylander, Sandin and Barrie?
Gives the Kings a ton of flexibility moving forward.

A couple years ago I would have said yes in a heartbeat. But obviously a couple years ago the Kings wouldn't have wanted to trade Doughty. Today his contract is looking far too risky for me.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yes only focus on the last year of a doughty contract and ignore the first years where he make your team a contender.

There's a pretty strong argument he isn't worth his contract today, nevermind a few years from now. Doughty hasn't been playing his best hockey over the past season + 1/4.

Reactions: JackFr

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

He turns 30 in a couple weeks and it’s an 8 year deal. He’ll be 35 or older for about a third of the contract.

If the salary cap didn’t exist, sure. But there isn’t a single team in the NHL that can add $11m in salary. All would have to make cuts to the rest of the roster. It’s not worth it for today’s version of Doughty.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He turns 30 in a couple weeks and it’s an 8 year deal. He’ll be 35 or older for about a third of the contract.

If the salary cap didn’t exist, sure. But there isn’t a single team in the NHL that can add $11m in salary. All would have to make cuts to the rest of the roster. It’s not worth it for today’s version of Doughty.
it comes down what is a cup chance worth to u I say its worth the down years we are having now after 2 cups in 3 years However you may not

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
it comes down what is a cup chance worth to u I say its worth the down years we are having now after 2 cups in 3 years However you may not

Yeah, I’m sure the two cups were worth it, but that doesn’t mean much for Doughty’s trade value today. He was a better player making less money then.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

I think that you are wrong re retention. Perhaps LA may have to take back a contract to help him fit on a contender, but that seems to be the case with most biggish contract trades, to make them work.

The cap probably goes up over the 5 years you are talking about too. Its gone up something like 10 mill over the last five years hasnt it? You will probably find 2nd pairing dmen getting paid 10 mill in 5 years.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Nowhere. He is barely starting the extension that he signed, meaning that he is going to go through the rebuild (whether he likes it or not). They are going to need him when they are back to being in the playoff run in other seasons.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Don’t let the fact that the Kings are horrifyingly bad distract from Drew Doughty. He’s still an elite defenseman, top 5-10 in the league and quite young.

I’d rather build around Hedman , Jones, Pietroangelo, and Dahlin. Makar may very well get there. Though I’m sure I’m forgetting one player, that’s pretty much it. As a Sharks fan, between youth, health and two-way play, I’d take him over Karlsson and Burns as well.

Reactions: LAKings88

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
he is worth the money today and next few years If u think different that is ur right but if u needing to win now there arent many if any bettter

I don’t think he’s been an $11m player the past year or so and the trend is a red arrow pointing down.

I think that you are wrong re retention. Perhaps LA may have to take back a contract to help him fit on a contender, but that seems to be the case with most biggish contract trades, to make them work.

The cap probably goes up over the 5 years you are talking about too. Its gone up something like 10 mill over the last five years hasnt it? You will probably find 2nd pairing dmen getting paid 10 mill in 5 years.

You’re overestimating the inflation. $10m at a $92m cap is 11% of the cap which is like getting paid slightly under $9m today. 2nd pairing guys aren’t making $9m.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
you realize he is in his first year of his 11 million contract. Last year he made 7 million right

Yeah, but again, I don’t care about what he was or what he got paid before now. I’m not trying to tell anyone he wasn’t a bargain before. Im saying I think he’ll be horrible value over the next 7 2/3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad