Value of: How much is Drew Doughty worth?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Has he been as bad as he was last year? He wasn't the caliber of a 1D last year IMO.

He looked bad (relatively speaking) in the 4-5 games I've seen him in this season, but that's not enough of a smaple size for me to judge yet.

Can LA fans chime in?

Doughty is very good but the Kings lack depth and talent. However, Doughty is a turnover beast and not many talk about that. Certainly not as good as Pietrangello and Giordano. He's still good but he has flaws. Check out the comparisons in production since 16/17 season

Since the start of the 16/17 season...

Giordano
- 261 games played
- 23 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 532 blocks
- 168 giveaways
- 181 takeaways
- 164 pts
- 46 goals

Pietrangelo
- 248 games played
- 23 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 484 blocks
- 135 giveaways
- 170 takeaways
- 160 pts
- 48 goals

Burns
- 265 games played
- 24 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 407 blocks
- 419 giveaways
- 228 takeaways
- 243 pts
- 61 goals

Josi
- 247 games played
- 24 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 412 blocks
- 188 giveaways
- 84 takeaways
- 176 pts
- 46 goals

Doughty

- 263 games played
- 25 to 27 minutes of TOI/game
- 393 blocks
- 296 giveaways
- 68 takeaways
- 159 pts
- 34 goals

Subban
- 227 games played
- 22 to 25 minutes of TOI/game
- 285 blocks
- 232 giveaways
- 100 takeaways
- 135 pts
- 37 goals

Weber
- 180 games played
- 23 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 360 blocks
- 199 giveaways
- 42 takeaways
- 105 pts
- 42 goals

Muzzin
- 254 games played
- 21 to 23 minutes of TOI/game
- 410 blocks
- 253 giveaways
- 62 takeaways
- 116 pts
- 29 goals

Rielly
- 253 games played
- 21 to 26 minutes of TOI/game
- 345 blocks
- 268 giveaways
- 137 takeaways
- 167 pts
- 35 goals

Petry
- 261 games played
- 22 to 24 minutes of TOI/game
- 424 blocks
- 347 giveaways
- 108 takeaways
- 126 pts
- 35 goals

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I do not see this as a knee jerk reaction...This team needs better defensemen. They would be acquiring in their prime one of the Leagues best D. Norris winner, 2x Stanley Cup champion and Gold medalist and he's 29!

If there is one thing this losing streak has exposed, is that people will just tout whatever narrative. Defense is 100% not the problem with this team. I don't care what he did, Seabrook has 3 cups why not get him?

The numbers show Toronto is giving up LESS shots and LESS high danger chances against than last year. The defense has improved. Goaltending however is significantly worse so far. Forwards playing defensively are really bad.

However the main issue is the specialty teams. If the Leafs had a top 10 PP and PK like they should, their record is a lot better. They can't kill a penalty to save their lives and they can't take advantage of any PP's. That is what is sinking them game in and game out.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Ya. He’d be the best defenseman on the leafs too. By a lot. I don’t think team Canada would be debating Doughty vs Rielly for Betty long if that’s what the choice came down to. Lol.
Team Canada? Lmao....That sure as hell isn't toronto.
I don’t see Doughty wanting to play in leaf land, considering how crappy that teams doing. If he leaves LA, it’ll be for a contender, and likely he’ll stay in the states.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
If there is one thing this losing streak has exposed, is that people will just tout whatever narrative. Defense is 100% not the problem with this team. I don't care what he did, Seabrook has 3 cups why not get him?

The numbers show Toronto is giving up LESS shots and LESS high danger chances against than last year. The defense has improved. Goaltending however is significantly worse so far. Forwards playing defensively are really bad.

However the main issue is the specialty teams. If the Leafs had a top 10 PP and PK like they should, their record is a lot better. They can't kill a penalty to save their lives and they can't take advantage of any PP's. That is what is sinking them game in and game out.

Yup...comparing a 29 Year old Defensemen with 480 points in 873 games vs. getting Seabrook who has 463 points in over 1,000GP and is 5 Years older than Doughty. Seabrook has never won a Norris trophy. Doughty is an ELITE offensive & defensive D. and would help Decrease high quality scoring chances against Toronto...Doughty can help break the cycle game (both Boston and Pittsburgh, utilized this offensive strategy against them in last two games)...Foligno last year said this is the easiest team to play against from their own hashmarks and in. Now, granted not all of their defensive lapses are on their D...their forwards are brutal at coverage.

Ps. Doughty on the Leafs blueline for PP and manning the PK would improve their play there as well. He has averaged 21.75PPP over last 4 seasons.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Yup...comparing a 29 Year old Defensemen with 480 points in 873 games vs. getting Seabrook who has 463 points in over 1,000GP and is 5 Years older than Doughty. Seabrook has never won a Norris trophy. Doughty is an ELITE offensive & defensive D. and would help Decrease high quality scoring chances against Toronto...Doughty can help break the cycle game (both Boston and Pittsburgh, utilized this offensive strategy against them in last two games)...Foligno last year said this is the easiest team to play against from their own hashmarks and in. Now, granted not all of their defensive lapses are on their D...their forwards are brutal at coverage.

Ps. Doughty on the Leafs blueline for PP and manning the PK would improve their play there as well. He has averaged 21.75PPP over last 4 seasons.

If he is so great the Kings can keep him.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
nah he wouldnt, you must be thinking about Dermott not Sandin lol
nah he wouldnt, you must be thinking about Dermott not Sandin lol
School bus ran late for the troll. Joki is a much, much better D prospect than Sandin. Also, stay on track. I know you literally need to compare your leafs to Sabres players in every thread you vomit within but let’s keep this about DD.

Reactions: Szechwan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Has he been as bad as he was last year? He wasn't the caliber of a 1D last year IMO.

He looked bad (relatively speaking) in the 4-5 games I've seen him in this season, but that's not enough of a smaple size for me to judge yet.

Can LA fans chime in?

He's been a roller coaster. Definitely not as bad as last year because his 'give a shit o meter' last year was below zero. And he and the other d-men have started looking better as they all learn the system. Most of his lapses have been system issues--i.e. you can see him just banging the puck up the boards to a guy who is supposed to be there but isn't, etc.--but you can also tell he's annoyed with the state of the team.

Also wondered if he was nursing an injury to go along with the birth of his child early on given his minutes were way down near 20 and he was given basically defensive-only ME Vlasic style deployment but lately he's back to normal minute wise and role wise and has started looking a lot more like his old self. He won't be winning the Norris this year, but comparing him to Seabrook like the below poster is laughable. He's still a top-tier elite all situations #1 D-man that would completely transform Toronto overnight. Hell, TO could even put together the Doughty-Muzzin pairing that was nigh unstoppable for a few years. And roll out Reilly as a 3D? Good grief. I can't believe anyone would be like "nope can't use that" unless they've never seen an elite d-man before....slotting everyone else into preferable matchups. Especially on a team like Toronto, given their elite offense, and Doughty's calling cards are elite defense and transition play, never mind that he's an RHD...it's a friggin perfect fit.

t.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
A gift for the Stanley Cups ? Worse and worse ? The last missing piece ?

You talk about Doughty as some kind of passenger.
Sorry that it might have come out like this. To clarify he isn’t getting better and a team getting him will not get his best years. They were during LA’s Stanley Cups. So everyone trading for him should be mindful of the 11M cap. I love Doughty. :)

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
He'll be a King for the duration of his contract/career.
He's comfy with the Kings and he's got his old cup buddies there.
I'm really not sure there would be a lot of interest. That's big money and term.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
If he is so great the Kings can keep him.

...this is a hypothetical website. And personally, If I am the kings...I'd most likely keep him. However, Mitch Marner is 22 and on the right side of 20 for a rebuilding team. If you move a player like Doughty you need quality back. Nylander albeit a talented player isn't Marner and couldn't get a Doughty caliber player. Toronto has a 5 year window MAX...you could argue less than that since their #1 Goalie is up in 3 Years and IMO is their most valuable player. So yah, you need a guy like Doughty more than Marner. This team should be able to score a plenty with Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen & Johnsson leading the way upfront.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Doughty with a little bit of retention + Prokhorkin for Broberg/Bouch + 1st + Russel + Gagner + Chiasson + conditional pick

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Doughty with a little bit of retention + Prokhorkin for Broberg/Bouch + 1st + Russel + Gagner + Chiasson + conditional pick

Don't see LA retaining much if anything just dew to the length of the deal.

Bouchard + 1st + cap pieces is a decent offer.

he won't be dealt until he asks to be so this thread is purely hypothetical but kudos to that offer.

Reactions: 780il

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
You can't tell the difference between a team filled with 23 and under star forwards and a team where their best players are going into their 30's and beyond?

You made an extreme hyperbolic statement in one post and then followed it up with a criticism of people making hyperbolic statements in a second post. I find that amusing.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You made an extreme hyperbolic statement in one post and then followed it up with a criticism of people making hyperbolic statements in a second post. I find that amusing.

Except the Kings and Leafs are at completely different ends of their window so trying to pretend it is hypocritical is laughable.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No thanks to Doughty with that contract length.
Oilers top 5 of Klefa, Nurse, Bear , Jones and Larsson make combined 13M and we are at the cap. Can't afford to have a long term contract like Drew's in the books. Maybe if Neal goes the other way.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's an odd ball. He isn't really a man of his word, but the guy is too good, but at the same time is fed up with losing. I even recall reading an article saying he wanted to win cups and didn't care where he was as long as he was winning. Then he says he never wants to leave LA. But you see him going to the bench just as the Kings get scored on.

I mean he should've been traded to the Jets if you ask me despite being a Jets fan, considering we need a star RHD and experience to make us a contender again, plus all the stars on the Jets you have to think he'd want to play here given the circumstances.

I mean it only make sense at this point that he retires a member of the Los Angeles Kings. But if LA gets Lafreniere I think they go back to being contenders. But if I was Drew I would've asked for a trade because I think the Kings are in for many dark years. Think it may have started, but I know for sure the Kings will be a ****show once Kopi and Doughty are gone.
Doughty made his choice and chose the 11M instead of playing for a contender.
He could've become a UFA and signed with a legit contender for a bit less. $$$

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Many of you will disagre with me---but check back in 5 years.

smart teams should be getting away from these high 8 yr contracts for those 28+ that take them to 34 yrs old or older.

These players arent worth the contract then.

As we saw this offseason you will see more players getting high contracts when they are 21-25

Moving Doughty will be near impossible unless you take back a high salary or retain enough to take him down to around $6.5M or so.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Except the Kings and Leafs are at completely different ends of their window so trying to pretend it is hypocritical is laughable.

You stated "Doughty is f***ing terrible" - A ridiculous statement to make about a guy who is still one of the best defensemen in the league. Overpaid? Sure. Underperforming? Easily. On a f***ing terrible team that's going to be at the bottom of the league this year? Absolutely.

But to state that "Doughty is f***ing terrible" and "only the biggest homers would claim otherwise" is woefully ignorant and misinformed.

And then you follow it up with a complaint about people making outlandish statements about your team. Its like you understand that posters around here spit out terrible hot takes about teams they don't follow but somehow forgot that you did the same thing not 2 minutes before.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Why? Doughty is ****ing terrible and only the biggest homers would claim otherwise. Defensively he is not even close to being worth his 11 right now. Marner at the very least is young and will be in his prime for the deal.

Doughty will continue to break down and end the Leafs window when Tavares and Doughty are making 22M at 33+ while being average at their position if they are lucky.

wau

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He is worth a top prospect, first round pick and decent, young NHL roster player (preferably top 9) along with a cap casualty to make salary work. He’s still a top 3 D in this league

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Doughty is far from an elite dman anymore. He actually looks quite bad most nights and I dont know if he's trying to do too much now because the team sucks or he just seems more untethered out that and lets his emotions get the best of him, but he's serving up pizzas out there nightly

the only thing elite about him anymore is his contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->