Value of: How much is Drew Doughty worth?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The hottest of takes in this thread. Up is down. Black is white. Doughty is one of the worst players in the league. Chaos everywhere!

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
As someone who has been following the top defensemen for years, I have been curios about Doughty's situation in LA.
The one weakness I would say Doughty has, and this even goes back to his junior days is his level of engagement at times. I think last year you saw a disengaged Doughty. Doughty's main strengths has been his high hockey IQ and his competitiveness. So I am not sure Doughty is the right player for a rebuild, But from the games I watched this year of him, he's still makes elite plays. He's been unlucky with the whole plus/minus thing.

As far as his value goes, it's off the charts. Not many people on these boards really understand what makes Doughty valuable, I dare say not even some Kings fans. Doughty along with Karlsson are still the two most impactful defensemen in the game (though I am still not convinced San Jose is the right fit for Karlsson, but time will tell).

I can tell you that the Kings whole rebuild is centered around Doughty and to a lesser extent Kopitar. Explaining why Doughty is so valuable is somewhat complicated, but in a very simple way he can control half of the game. It's really fascinating to break his game down and Karlsson's as well.

So despite what the popular opinions have been about Doughty on these boards, he is still is one of the most valuable players in the league, even with his contract. The type of team I don't think he fits well in is a team that is rebuilding. Which unfortunately for Doughty is where he finds himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad