Value of: How much is Drew Doughty worth?

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
The LA Kings are in rebuilding mode and in my opinion they should trade away most of their aging veterans even if that means retaining a lot of salary.
Therefore I'd like to know what other posters think would be a fair compensation salary wise for Doughty for the remaining 7 years plus right now. Bonus points for Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Jeff Carter and Jonathan Quick.

Reactions: MagicalRazor

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's an odd ball. He isn't really a man of his word, but the guy is too good, but at the same time is fed up with losing. I even recall reading an article saying he wanted to win cups and didn't care where he was as long as he was winning. Then he says he never wants to leave LA. But you see him going to the bench just as the Kings get scored on.

I mean he should've been traded to the Jets if you ask me despite being a Jets fan, considering we need a star RHD and experience to make us a contender again, plus all the stars on the Jets you have to think he'd want to play here given the circumstances.

I mean it only make sense at this point that he retires a member of the Los Angeles Kings. But if LA gets Lafreniere I think they go back to being contenders. But if I was Drew I would've asked for a trade because I think the Kings are in for many dark years. Think it may have started, but I know for sure the Kings will be a ****show once Kopi and Doughty are gone.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
The problem with Doughty's contract (11M) is that he got it for what he was and does not match the reality of the contract during it's lifetime. Basically his contract is a gift for the Stanley Cups. Very similar to Toews contract. I don't think anybody expected for him to live up to it. If I was the GM I would have traded him and invested in youth, but the game thought there can be a final push for a Cup. From 30 to 36 this contract will be getting worse and worse. I do not know it's value, but I would stay away from it if I was a GM. Maybe just maybe if a team is on the verge of a Stanley Cup and Doughty is the last missing piece to finalize the push.

Reactions: bernmeister

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Doughty to the Leafs for Nylander, Sandin and Barrie?
Gives the Kings a ton of flexibility moving forward.

Are you high? Whats the point of trading Sandin to get Doughty? You realize Sandin will probably be better than every dman on the Sabres outside of dahlin, not like thats saying much lol. Point is the guy is looking like a stud. That contract is going to be an albatross in a couple years. Why would the Leafs give up all that just to end up having an $11M burden on the cap? The Leafs dont need Doughty, they need a new system.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya. He’d be the best defenseman on the leafs too. By a lot. I don’t think team Canada would be debating Doughty vs Rielly for Betty long if that’s what the choice came down to. Lol.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Are you high? Whats the point of trading Sandin to get Doughty? You realize Sandin will probably be better than every dman on the Sabres outside of dahlin, not like thats saying much lol. Point is the guy is looking like a stud. That contract is going to be an albatross in a couple years. Why would the Leafs give up all that just to end up having an $11M burden on the cap? The Leafs dont need Doughty, they need a new system.

Agreed. While I believe any contending team would love to have Doughty, giving up on Sandin makes the Leafs even more all in than they already are and adding doughty would increase cap issues for the leafs (sure you get Barrie and Nylander out but you only get on - albeit great - player in return).

Regarding Doughty, I am not sure any contending team can absorb its salary right now. Maybe if the cap increase is higher next year... At the moment, I feel like he is worth a lot but you'll have to accept cap back and not to discount the cap from the price just because the salary is so hard to move and the contract so long.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You always need to bring up the Sabres.
Dream on.... Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour, Pilut and Ristolainen are all better than Sandin. Maybe McCabe and Miller as well.

Point is Leafs need way more than a “new system”
There D is horrible.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You always need to bring up the Sabres.
Dream on.... Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour, Pilut and Ristolainen are all better than Sandin. Maybe McCabe and Miller as well.

Point is Leafs need way more than a “new system”
There D is horrible.

Literally all those defenders suck defensively. Why do you think the Sabres alwasy collapse? Theyre top 4 is Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci and they got Dermott, Holl and Sandin as well. Theyre defence is perfectly fine. Buffalo may have the shiny toys but its clear they need a refund on a couple of those guys.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The thing is, the Kings could absorb a lot of salary in a trade. The receiving team would be fine by the cap if that's all it took.

I don't think anyone that would trade for Doughty wants to lose anything off the current roster, so the cost in futures would be...RIP the top end of your next few drafts.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Doughty for Nylander + Barrie + 1st?
Doughty for Marner?

Which other team would be desperate enough right now to come even close to making an offer like that for a 29 year old on an 11M contract for 7 more years after this one?

You basically need a team that is desperately trying to win and needs a D like Doughty desperately to get over the hump.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'm guessing at this point there aren't any untouchables on LA's roster if a team with the goods called up. Obviously NMC's and salary complicate moves being made, but not completely impossible.
It's been said and I agree that some vets need to be kept around to guide the youth. I'm just not sold that those vets should be DD8 and Kopitar. Moving either or both would change the organization in a snap. LA's already at the bottom with those 2, becoming worse isn't that far of a drop.
But I'm a Kings fan from a long time ago and have endured horribleness for decades. What's another couple if in the end they have a better chance of lifting the cup, again.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Doughty for Marner?

Which other team would be desperate enough right now to come even close to making an offer like that for a 29 year old on an 11M contract for 7 more years after this one?

You basically need a team that is desperately trying to win and needs a D like Doughty desperately to get over the hump.

I would think long and hard about a Marner for Doughty swap from the Leafs perspective.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
What about ...

TOR - Doughty (10% retained = 9.9MM AAV) + Quick (50% retained 2.8MM AAV) + Clifford (1.6MM AAV, expiring contract)

LAK - Marner (10.893MM AAV) + Ceci (4.5MM AAV)

Total Salary to TOR = 14.3MM
Total Salary to LAK = 15.393MM

TOR shaves off apx 1.093MM in cap space, their true #1 Norris D. Quality backup & Toughness that can play 10-12 mins a night.

Marner becomes the cornerstone piece to their rebuild. Signed long term and can market the crap out of.

Reactions: LeProspector

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I would think long and hard about a Marner for Doughty swap from the Leafs perspective.

Why? Doughty is f***ing terrible and only the biggest homers would claim otherwise. Defensively he is not even close to being worth his 11 right now. Marner at the very least is young and will be in his prime for the deal.

Doughty will continue to break down and end the Leafs window when Tavares and Doughty are making 22M at 33+ while being average at their position if they are lucky.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What about ...

TOR - Doughty (10% retained = 9.9MM AAV) + Quick (50% retained 2.8MM AAV) + Clifford (1.6MM AAV, expiring contract)

LAK - Marner (10.893MM AAV) + Ceci (4.5MM AAV)

Total Salary to TOR = 14.3MM
Total Salary to LAK = 15.393MM

TOR shaves off apx 1.093MM in cap space, their true #1 Norris D. Quality backup & Toughness that can play 10-12 mins a night.

Marner becomes the cornerstone piece to their rebuild. Signed long term and can market the crap out of.

If Dubas entertained anything like that, he should be fired on the spot.

Sorry but 20 odd games is not enough for me to want to blow up the core. Even the Bolts had a down year where they missed the playoffs. I want to see coaching changed first, and then we will see where the roster is and if it needs any tweaks.

People are acting as if the Leafs are over the hill window closed. Not the first nor last team to retool and be better than before. Hell the Avs retooled around their youth and are better than before most recently.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'd keep Sandin as well but tone down the tire pumping. He's a good prospect trending well but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Leafs D is horrible cause you lack physicality. Rielly is a great #1 piece and Muzzin is a great option behind him where he plays effectively at both ends. The rest of the Leafs current D is average at best in their own end. I remember arguing with some Leafs fans that you should bring back Hainsey for one more year. But several fans and the GM though Barrie was the answer and you traded Kadri to get him. :laugh:. Playing D is not all about being offensive. You need to have big mobile guys who are tough to play against and can move the puck well. Right now, you have weaklings who skate well but are a miss match physically.

Blame Babcock all you want but Dubas should be the guy that's in the hot seat. What has he done well so far? Overpaid the kids and got Tavares to sign where he was going to sign anyways? Traded two 1st round picks so far as well. I also remember people saying Marleau would be easy to move :laugh:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Has he been as bad as he was last year? He wasn't the caliber of a 1D last year IMO.

He looked bad (relatively speaking) in the 4-5 games I've seen him in this season, but that's not enough of a smaple size for me to judge yet.

Can LA fans chime in?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doughty for Marner?

Jets could use Doughty if Buff retires and they would have the cap space to pull it off. Doubt the Kings are drooling over Nylander and Barrie and your 1st would have to be in 2021. Trading Marner for an older player would be dumb.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
If Dubas entertained anything like that, he should be fired on the spot.

Sorry but 20 odd games is not enough for me to want to blow up the core. Even the Bolts had a down year where they missed the playoffs. I want to see coaching changed first, and then we will see where the roster is and if it needs any tweaks.

People are acting as if the Leafs are over the hill window closed. Not the first nor last team to retool and be better than before. Hell the Avs retooled around their youth and are better than before most recently.

I do not see this as a knee jerk reaction...This team needs better defensemen. They would be acquiring in their prime one of the Leagues best D. Norris winner, 2x Stanley Cup champion and Gold medalist and he's 29!

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Depends on how many teams he agrees to waive for?
None at all?
Only one?
5 or 6?

The more teams he agree to waive for, the higher the return.
As it stands now, he essentially has no value at all because if he agrees to go anywhere, I’d imagine that’s the only place he is willing to go.... and that team would know it

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The problem with Doughty's contract (11M) is that he got it for what he was and does not match the reality of the contract during it's lifetime. Basically his contract is a gift for the Stanley Cups. Very similar to Toews contract. I don't think anybody expected for him to live up to it. If I was the GM I would have traded him and invested in youth, but the game thought there can be a final push for a Cup. From 30 to 36 this contract will be getting worse and worse. I do not know it's value, but I would stay away from it if I was a GM. Maybe just maybe if a team is on the verge of a Stanley Cup and Doughty is the last missing piece to finalize the push.
A gift for the Stanley Cups ? Worse and worse ? The last missing piece ?

You talk about Doughty as some kind of passenger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad