Value of: How much is Drew Doughty worth?

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
It's also kind of a dumbass context-less stat. It's not like Doughty is over here hooking up opponents with centering passes.

I distinctly remember a game vs. the Ducks a couple of years back where he made not one but two saves on an empty net and dumped the puck out perfectly so as not to ice it.

His final stat line was like 30 minutes, +2, no takeaways, 2 giveaways.

Plus all the top puckhogs have a lot of giveaways anyway, it's a byproduct of being an elite transitional d-man playing insane minutes vs. tough competition while having the puck all the damn time. You aren't going to get many takeaways vs. giveaways when you're 60% CF% (not this year, obviously).

You can say you don't want his contract or don't want to part with the necessary assets but to downplay his elite abilities or what he'd mean to a team like Toronto is delusional. You can say the first part without having to double down by going to the second and comparing him to Brent Seabrook. Good grief.

Correct. It would be like if the only stat we looked at for quarterbacks was incompletions.

But how many pass attempts did they have?

How many of those incompletions were actually interceptions or pick 6's?

How many touchdowns did they throw?

Hard to really extrapolate anything useful from takeaways/giveaways.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
He's signed till 37 and that means negative value like how some talk about Price? :thumbd:
I guess Doughty, Price and Weber are all in the same group that will need 14 1st round picks attached to them to move their contracts for a conditional 5th in return because hf logic

Reactions: go4hockey

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Are you high? Whats the point of trading Sandin to get Doughty? You realize Sandin will probably be better than every dman on the Sabres outside of dahlin, not like thats saying much lol. Point is the guy is looking like a stud. That contract is going to be an albatross in a couple years. Why would the Leafs give up all that just to end up having an $11M burden on the cap? The Leafs dont need Doughty, they need a new system.
delusional

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Why? Doughty is ****ing terrible and only the biggest homers would claim otherwise. Defensively he is not even close to being worth his 11 right now. Marner at the very least is young and will be in his prime for the deal.

Doughty will continue to break down and end the Leafs window when Tavares and Doughty are making 22M at 33+ while being average at their position if they are lucky.
bwhahahahahha

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Doughty is worth 4 Sandins. The hell do Leafs fans know about defensemen that can play hard, physical defense. zero

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Stop mentioning Toronto. They're not adding another 11 million dollar contract

Doughty is not the right fit for them either.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Doughty's been a bad player since last year and has an insanely expensive long term contract. The best thing about him is his reputation, and I sure wouldn't give up a valuable package for that

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty's been a bad player since last year and has an insanely expensive long term contract. The best thing about him is his reputation, and I sure wouldn't give up a valuable package for that

Bad (outdated) take.

Despite the massive offensive differences between the teams and Doughty's defensive deployment, he has more goals than any Leafs d-man, and more points than any Leafs d-man not named Reilly, and a better PPG than Reilly as well (LA is two games behind). His defense is still elite, you can tell early in the season all the LA d-men were adjusting and thinking too much. He just came off completely shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl. He was bad last year, no doubt. But he's getting sharper every game as he's picking up a new system.

You can say the contract/term is an issue, but pretending Doughty wouldn't help TOR is just Trade Board "lol we don't want your trash after asking for it" buffoonery.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Bad (outdated) take.

Despite the massive offensive differences between the teams and Doughty's defensive deployment, he has more goals than any Leafs d-man, and more points than any Leafs d-man not named Reilly, and a better PPG than Reilly as well (LA is two games behind). His defense is still elite, you can tell early in the season all the LA d-men were adjusting and thinking too much. He just came off completely shutting down McDavid and Draisaitl. He was bad last year, no doubt. But he's getting sharper every game as he's picking up a new system.

You can say the contract/term is an issue, but pretending Doughty wouldn't help TOR is just Trade Board "lol we don't want your trash after asking for it" buffoonery.
Well, I'd be the first to admit Rielly has sucked this year. But in his case, he makes half the salary and has been dealing with an undisclosed issue that's causing him to miss practice. Doughty's 48 cf% is last on the team and his 47.7 xgf% is 17th. For a guy who used to absolutely dominate those, I think it's fair to say he isn't the same player but his reputation seems to be mostly intact for whatever reason. In fairness, he is doing better than last year and will maybe continue to improve but I still don't see him as this slam dunk trade target for the Leafs that people are making him out to be

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
My goodness the Doughty hate is strong in this thread. Not surprised really.

Doughty isn’t going anywhere. If he was available, every gm would inquire about him.

Here is Doughty last year:

4D74DECD-1263-4ACC-B748-82294F1EFD7F.png

but maybe it was a fluke.. let’s see how he is doing this year
8BE6FA10-14DC-4DFF-9964-14CAE2C8D52B.png

so here we have one of the worst players in the league with by far the worst contract in the league and you are acting like there is a single gm in the league who would want him for the 1% chance that he learns how to play hockey again.

I hate the grace periods people give players here. Doughty sucks ass and has for a while now.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Stop mentioning Toronto. They're not adding another 11 million dollar contract

Doughty is not the right fit for them either.

Oh I dont know about that. If the Leafs could fit him in under the cap and his cap hit was a few million shorter than it was I'd gladly take him on the Leafs. Hes still good and tough. He wouldnt take any **** from little Marchand in April.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

View attachment 281729
View attachment 281731

so here we have one of the worst players in the league with by far the worst contract in the league and you are acting like there is a single gm in the league who would want him for the 1% chance that he learns how to play hockey again.

I hate the grace periods people give players here. Doughty sucks ass and has for a while now.
his whole team has sucked *** for awhile now. You can provide all your little fruity advanced stats all you want. They're useless. Hes still a good dman. His contract is whats really ***

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Oh I dont know about that. If the Leafs could fit him in under the cap and his cap hit was a few million shorter than it was I'd gladly take him on the Leafs. Hes still good and tough. He wouldnt take any **** from little Marchand in April.

Dunno if id want to see him tangling with Marchand, he seems to have made a meal out of the situation with that naughty schoolboy Tkachuk.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

View attachment 281729
View attachment 281731

Just wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad