Rumor: Hornqvist to Florida for Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think this necessary makes the team worse. I loved Hornqvist but if he is not playing in your top 6 or top PP which he wasn't for much of last year then he needed to go. Hornqvist is on the downside of his career and Matheson is in his prime and a good skating defenseman that can score goals. Matheson has his issues but has played 21+ minutes a night just a year ago and is pretty good in transition. I think he could work in our system with the right defense partner.

Definitely a risk but Hornqvist at his age wasn't bringing in anything better. Pens LD can be a big improvement with Dumoulin, Matheson, and Pettersson compared to last year's left side. I honestly don't think we lose anything on offense. Kapanen added to RW and Hornqvist gone from last year's roster. That is a net offensive improvement on the forward group and a net improvement on our defensive group with Matheson over JJ.
I have no issue with him on the 3rd line but I agree Hornqvist is on a downward slide, and is less likely to age gracefully, and if you’re gonna trade him you’re not gonna get an equal but younger player in return. It will be a step down in on-ice impact as a tradeoff. Problem is this deal might not even save us any money and we’re committed for 6 years to a guy that was getting scratched and played at forward this year. Huge risk.

Now we’ve got a hole on the 3rd line and still need to do something with Johnson. And Matheson doesn’t really fill a need IMO, unless Johnson goes which seems less and less likely.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
This team still likely loses in the 1st round with or without JR and Sullivan. I really don't see how anyone could have turned what the Penguins were at the end of the 2018-2019 season into a team that would go deep this year.
Yeah..least we got some rid of a Legendary player who was aging...how the business works...I was bummed when Jagr got traded for the worse prospects ever.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I think it was something like that. Idk if florida had a similar reason, though. It’s just the timing was so good.

“That idiot coach in Florida played a defenseman at wing”
*pans over to Sullivan*

Bylsma also tried Letang at wing during the game with no practice, Engelland who had experience with both was moved between the two and for some reason I think Dallas tried Oleksiak at wing in the first to around. It’s rare but it happens.

Ian Moran spent some time at left wing I believe. Not sure who the coach was then.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Eh... I guess I can get behind that. Hopefully Guentzel is OK moving ahead. Crosby and especially Malkin just aren't going to score goals like they once did. I still feel like the team needs another guy who can change the game with the flick of his wrist. Easier said than done, I know... but I don't think they are even looking in that direction so whatever.

Like you said they are probably moving on to *sigh* -- fixing the bottom six for what is probably way too much money and commitment. Huzzah.

Yeah, I think you can look at it as stars or whatever, 2016 had Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang. 2017 had Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Guentzel. Both had 4 and now as they age you’d like a 5th name to go with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Guentzel. 2009 had Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Gonchar. Plus, y’know a good supporting cast and goaltending. Zucker should have some expectations on him to be a game changer but not at the level of the others. I’m guessing Poulin is their only chance at that at forward.

JR now has a bit more cap space for free agency. Fun.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't mind cutting ties with older players to better the team.

To trade them for worse players on long term contracts not so much.

This is my biggest issue with this trade if it goes down. It's not even the fact they're moving out Hornqvist's contract (sorry Cole), but the fact they're bringing back another long term deal that could really cripple them going forward.

If Matheson was UFA after this year and Florida also added a 2nd or 3rd round pick, it would at least make sense as a way of shedding contracts moving forward.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Thought it sounded like Friedman said this trade wont happen.
I'm gonna hold judgement until we know all the details. If there's retention or if other variables come to light, or even if it actually gets completed, that could sway my opinion.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The NHL is stepping in and they’re accusing Rutherford of dereliction of duty.

Supposedly JR handled it with no input from the FO and no ownership approval and they’re trying to 5150 him.
I just caught a second of it. Guessing you're joking, GM's can't do trades without the owners permission.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
He's hearing it might be off. Some FLA fan on Reddit said that there is a rumor the Panthers have an internal cap now due to revenue lost so with the insurance issue they might be hesitant about making the deal.
They will work on the insurance issues if that is the problem..

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Supposedly JR handled it with no input from the FO and no ownership approval and they’re trying to 5150 him.

That would be such a gloriously fitting end.

Also if this trade is off... man... what a cluster.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

That’s crazy if true. Where’d you read that? I can’t even think of an example of when that’s happened before.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Neither of us know a thing about how Matheson will look alongside Marino if he plays there. Very likely not good, but there is a non-zero chance he excels.

I mean, I'm not going to base evaluations on "non-zero chances" of things.

There was a non-zero chance of JJ becoming a stout defensive stalwart for the Pens, but the odds were pretty terrible.

The zone entry data on JJ was much worse than Matheson.

Matheson also has regularly outproduced anything JJ ever did at ES point wise.

Right, but even the zone exit data didn't prove anything close to true. Nobody thinks that when JJ gets the puck that it's getting out of the zone efficiently.

Outproducing JJ isn't really an accomplishment.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team still likely loses in the 1st round with or without JR and Sullivan. I really don't see how anyone could have turned what the Penguins were at the end of the 2018-2019 season into a team that would go deep this year.
For sure, but it's about taking steps in the right direction. We're a year late right now, in firing JR and Sully and getting new eyes/direction for this team. We've already committed to another season with those two manning the ship, so that'll probably two more wasted years if we're being honest because JJ is still here and will play, and as it stands our already flawed 3rd line lost Hornqvist. McCann's back, and I hope he'll be the 3LW, but I'm sure he'll be the 3C to similarly disappointing results. Poulin is coming out of Junior and I'd be lying if I said I expected him to get more than a 9 game stint, if that, assuming he doesn't absolutely blow the doors wide open in camp/pre-season a la Marino.

If Stevens didn't gift wrap Marino to JR, this team would be in baaaaaaaad shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad