Rumor: Hornqvist to Florida for Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hornqvist getting traded is fine, but if this team is so desperate to be rid of him, why trade him for another JJesque contract?

Because JR doesn’t care about term. I think the thought process there is that their window will be closed in a few years so it doesn’t matter and helps keep costs down. Three issues there. It still makes trading these decade long deals hard, he doesn’t seem to save on the cap hits and he’s highly questionable at evaluating defensemen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So if you eliminate Barrie, and PP value, and that one year from Dumba, Matheson has been as productive as those 3 defensemen who he's far, far worse defensively than.

I think all three of those defensemen are comparable defensively.

Yost: Buyer beware if Oliver Ekman-Larsson is available - TSN.ca

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-defense-barrie-hindrance/

What the heck is going on with Matt Dumba?

They all are notably better on the PP, but I don't Matheson has ever gotten a chance considering arguably the best PP QB has been on the team ahead of him the majority of his career.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If this had gone down, or does...? I see Matheson as just this generations Brooks Orpik. Not the worst of guys to be when in their prime.

Pretty brutal year in 2018/19...though. Brooks had a bad year worse than that near the same time line/age.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Not that kind of insurance. Insurance to cover his actual salary they are still on the hook for regardless. They can go over the cap if he's LTIR'ed and if they bring in another player who's gonna cost near the same or less they are out more in pocket money.

It’s wild that +5mil AAV contracts aren’t insured

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Which is why insurance is a total mess in this country at times and becomes a head ache to deal with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad