Rumor: Hornqvist to Florida for Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Matheson looks a lot like Niskanen when he came over from Dallas. Rierden was the guy who made Niskanen into a top pairing D so much so that he followed him to WAS.

except Niskanen had just turned 24 and had only completed 3 NHL seasons....Matheson will turn 27 at the beginning of next season, which likely won’t begin until early 2021, and has completed 5 NHL seasons already

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

To me this reeks of a lame excuse. You are a professional and trades happened all the time.

Fleury was a team favorite. He was moved.
Everybody loved Colby Armstrong. He was moved.

The fact is, if they want to stay together then they need to play better. Crosby didn't want to play with Horny. You can't pay a guy the team likes to be a 5.3 million dollar 3rd or 4th liner.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
except Niskanen had just turned 24 and had only completed 3 NHL seasons....Matheson will turn 27 at the beginning of next season, which likely won’t begin until early 2021, and has completed 5 NHL seasons already

Is an NHL season 3 games now?

He's played four NHL seasons. Niskanen was in his fourth full season when he was traded here and didn't really blossom into a true top pairing guy until he was Matheson's age.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Niskanen was at 277 games and was 25 at the time of the trade, and Matheson was at 299 games and is 26 right now.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
A team can’t just keep people around because they are buddies. Pro sports don’t really work that way.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They've needed to replace what was lost with Daley for a long time.

And also Phil Kessel...

I don’t think it’s any coincidence it went

2016: Letang, Daley, Schultz
2017: Schultz, Daley

Age and injuries were already getting Daley in 2017 but once Schultz started to get hurt there wasn’t anything like them behind Letang. 2016 was the dominant run. Right now they’re stuck hoping Letang (older), Matheson and Marino can be the equal to the 2016 group.

I doubt they get another Kessel but they really need the bottom 6 to figure it out. Guentzel is basically the new Kessel.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I get that, I really really do but at the same time, you have to take a step back and keep it in perspective. You can't laid an egg like they did in the last two playoffs and keep the same locker room. What was going on in the locker room that cause the team to perform the way they did? There comes a point where buddy-buddy and comradery only takes you so far. You want to keep that warm fuzzy feeling in the locker room, perform better.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To me this reeks of a lame excuse. You are a professional and trades happened all the time.

Fleury was a team favorite. He was moved.
Everybody loved Colby Armstrong. He was moved.

The fact is, if they want to stay together then they need to play better. Crosby didn't want to play with Horny. You can't pay a guy the team likes to be a 5.3 million dollar 3rd or 4th liner.

Yeah I've been pretty staunch in defending the players or at least the core but this is a pretty pathetic take if true. I get hating to see guys go but hey maybe don't look like utter dogs for two straight years when the pressure is on? I'm no fan of Sullivan these days and I think JR has made a mess of the roster but c'mon.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I also think it's worth pointing out that Hornqvist consented to this move, which makes you think at least a little that he wanted out. The idea that the Hornqvist trade will ruin the lockerroom like the Hagelin trade did feels a little hollow when Hornqvist had the ability to kill this trade, but he didn't.

Maybe everyone else just loves Hornqvist more than Hornqvist loves being here, but I really don't see why the locker room is going to implode when Hornqvist willingly waived his NTC to allow for this trade.

Reactions: SEALBound

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, we should've just fired JR and Sully after the Isles series and maybe we wouldn't still be scrambling to fix multi-year old problems using the GM and coach who created said problems. JJ would be gone the second the new regime came in. I'm not saying we'd be playing in the SCF right now, but we'd probably be several steps closer to legitimately competing again than spinning our tires in the mud like we have been since the last Cup.

Reactions: domaug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, we should've just fired JR and Sully after the Isles series and maybe we wouldn't still be scrambling to fix multi-year old problems using the GM and coach who created said problems. JJ would be gone the second the new regime came in. I'm not saying we'd be playing in the SCF right now, but we'd probably be several steps closer to legitimately competing again than spinning our tires in the mud like we have been since the last Cup.

This team still likely loses in the 1st round with or without JR and Sullivan. I really don't see how anyone could have turned what the Penguins were at the end of the 2018-2019 season into a team that would go deep this year.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Yeah, I also think it's worth pointing out that Hornqvist consented to this move, which makes you think at least a little that he wanted out. The idea that the Hornqvist trade will ruin the lockerroom like the Hagelin trade did feels a little hollow when Hornqvist had the ability to kill this trade, but he didn't.
i really don't think it's an actual option for a player to truly use their NTC to stay on a team. once the team wants to trade you, you can't just say no and get to stay around and everything's hunky dory. florida is a pretty nice destination for the end of your career and always has been so why put up a fuss when you're gone or alienated no matter what

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I rather sign Gustafsson to a 4m x 4 contract. He could be a guy who puts up Schultz like numbers and is a better PP QB.
Gustasson is prob going to want between 5.5 mil or 6 million.That is how much these guys go for today.

Reactions: ownal

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Maybe everyone else just loves Hornqvist more than Hornqvist loves being here, but I really don't see why the locker room is going to implode when Hornqvist willingly waived his NTC to allow for this trade.

I honestly wonder if Horny soured on the team a bit. I wouldn't blame him either. He's produce at the same pace in every role. Yet he got kicked off the top pp. Blocked out of the top six with Zucker and Kappy coming in. As a guy with a lot of pride that must have sucked for him.

Reactions: Fordy

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Maybe. But I still think not having a 3C like Bonino was the biggest problem. He made perfect plays to Hags and Kessel when HBK was a thing. Since then we tried with Brassard then Bjugstad then McCann. Havent fixed it since. But I think we will this year with that being either McCann or someone else. So was it locker room or just on ice play?

We will definitely have a better bottom 6 regardless. And will get more timely offense from them. We didnt get that in the playoffs. Combine that with no powerplay and a horrible 3rd pair...thats why we lost.

I cant wait to see what our top 6 does once we do add more talent to the bottom 6. McCann will have another year of experience. I say Poulin adds that needed playmaking for the 3rd line. Blueger gets better imo(this is what he does. In college each year, the 3 years in WBS. Now his 3rd year for us). To go with Tanev who will have a year of experience in our system. And can play his game more rather than worrying about learning the system. We know he has chemistry with Blueger. We know he can move up to 3rd line with McCann if need be.

Lets say Blueger and Tanev add another 10 or so points to their totals from last year, thats a formiddable duo on the 4th line. McCann and Poulin team up to add that extra scoring as well. Tho with both of them being young, Id love to sign a center like Haula to go with them.

Back to main point. Its been long enough now to where Sid and Geno want another cup bad enough. This reminds me of the offseason we got Kessel. Talk of the run being over. Even Sid mentioned maybe they dont have it anymore. Theres no doubt he wants one more to separate them from the Hawks. Also building on their legacies. You think both will check out at 32/33? No way.

Not just about cups either but I say they are done with the first round exits. At least going 2 to 3 rounds each season from here on out. So both Sid and Geno extend their point totals in the playoffs. Working their way up to the top.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don’t think it’s any coincidence it went

2016: Letang, Daley, Schultz
2017: Schultz, Daley

Age and injuries were already getting Daley in 2017 but once Schultz started to get hurt there wasn’t anything like them behind Letang. 2016 was the dominant run. Right now they’re stuck hoping Letang (older), Matheson and Marino can be the equal to the 2016 group.

I doubt they get another Kessel but they really need the bottom 6 to figure it out. Guentzel is basically the new Kessel.

Eh... I guess I can get behind that. Hopefully Guentzel is OK moving ahead. Crosby and especially Malkin just aren't going to score goals like they once did. I still feel like the team needs another guy who can change the game with the flick of his wrist. Easier said than done, I know... but I don't think they are even looking in that direction so whatever.

Like you said they are probably moving on to *sigh* -- fixing the bottom six for what is probably way too much money and commitment. Huzzah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad