Rumor: Hornqvist to Florida for Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I think I made that comment earlier in the thread, Matheson is an absolutely perfect player for Gonchar to work with, but alas Gonchar isn't here anymore.

I think Matheson looks a lot like Niskanen when he came over from Dallas. Rierden was the guy who made Niskanen into a top pairing D so much so that he followed him to WAS.

Reactions: That1Kid

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If it wasn't Hornqvist being dealt, it was Rust. And I'll keep Rust 11 times out of 10 in that scenario.

Yeah this is a good point. I feel like accomplishing what they wanted to do was likely an "either/or" situation and I damn sure know which one I prefer.

Also in regards to the powerplay... the refrain is honestly getting a little old. Sure Hornqvist does his job very well on the powerplay. But that same poweplay has hardly looked cohesive the last couple of seasons and most importantly... there are plenty of other teams that run a smooth powerplay without the services of Hornqvist. Maybe an attempt to re-think what they are doing there is actually for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Pettersson's an offensive black hole, he's an offensive black hole who's shown he can put up points like Mike Matheson.

And we're counting on Pettersson to babysit JJ...playing on his wrong side?

None of this sits right.

All roads lead back to Johnson being the fly in the ointment.

Get rid of him and suddenly you can start to assemble a competent defense. Until then you're basically just moving pieces around to try and shelter a complete dud.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Who will replace Hornqvist?

Bjorkvist.

But at least this means theyll try something new with our power play now. As good as PH was at annoying goalies, I feel like it messed with the rest of our PP. And teams knew how to defend it too easily. This will force the Pens to switch things up.

Does anyone not agree that 5on5 hasnt been our problem? And that with our typical PP we would have gone further in the playoffs the last few years?

Guentzel - Sid
Zucker/McCann/Kap - Malkin
Letang/Matheson

This gives us more options. If one isnt getting it done, replace him with another.

Also enough talent for a very good 2nd PP.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Pettersson's an offensive black hole, he's an offensive black hole who's shown he can put up points like Mike Matheson.

And we're counting on Pettersson to babysit JJ...playing on his wrong side?

None of this sits right.
Nothing's going to sit right with a team that has an idiotic GM and a coach who both adore Jack Johnson and will, undoubtedly, play him nightly.

Petts-JJ is better than JJ-Schultz. It's also better than Matheson-JJ, or JJ-Matheson. It's also preferable to saddling our best all-around defenseman in Marino with JJ during a pivotal sophomore season.

If JJ's going to be here, and he is, Petts-JJ is the best of all shitty situations.

I mean, ideally I'd run with this;

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-Riikola

But JJ will dress nightly. Anyone thinking he'll be bought out, scratched, or traded is, uh, not paying attention--to put it nicely.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Everyone could use a decent offensive defenseman, point is we were doing perfectly fine even with the ghost of Schultz and a million injuries. Then the forwards stopped playing D and suddenly the entire D looked like clowns. Exact same thing happened in 2019. Maybe, just maybe it's not a simple personnel issue?

Reactions: Andy99

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
All roads lead back to Johnson being the fly in the ointment.

Get rid of him and suddenly you can start to assemble a competent defense. Until then you're basically just moving pieces around to try and shelter a complete dud.
lol..That was hilarious how you stated that

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The first quote says he's decent at play driving. He's an above average defenseman at scoring goals and play driving, zone entries and exits. He's basically a Trevor Daley type with an insanely bloated contract and better ES metrics at his age.

Looks like the first quote says that about Hornqvist, and the data in the first quote suggests Matheson's in the 25th percentile for play driving on offense and the 18th for play driving on defense.

Zone entries and exits look good, but please tell me you remember the same thing about zone exits being said for JJ. I know this happened, I just can't find a link for the life of me and godforsaken HF search doesn't go back to 2018.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
One thing that is still curious to me is that JR said he wanted to keep some cap space in anticipation for Marino's new contract. Everything that's been done recently points to him not doing that. Just odd.

To the Oilers: MM, Bryan Rust
The The Pens, Kris Russell and a conditional 7th round pick in 815 years

To Islanders: Dumo, Poulin, Legare, POJ
To the Pens: Matt Martin

Dude...why? Just, why? What does this add?

Who will replace Hornqvist?

Plenty of options truth be told, both internal, trade, and FA route.

Can we afford Matheson & Tanev if we sign Fast & trade Murray for Compher? JJ bought out.

No.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nothing's going to sit right with a team that has an idiotic GM and a coach who both adore Jack Johnson and will, undoubtedly, play him nightly.

Petts-JJ is better than JJ-Schultz. It's also better than Matheson-JJ, or JJ-Matheson. It's also preferable to saddling our best all-around defenseman in Marino with JJ during a pivotal sophomore season.

If JJ's going to be here, and he is, Petts-JJ is the best of all shitty situations.

I mean, ideally I'd run with this;

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-Riikola

But JJ will dress nightly. Anyone thinking he'll be bought out, scratched, or traded is, uh, not paying attention--to put it nicely.

If that's the configuration...Matheson-Marino and Pettersson-Johnson, our defense just got a lot more expensive without getting a lick better.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Can we afford Matheson & Tanev if we sign Fast & trade Murray for Compher? JJ bought out.

Aint ever gonna happen.

Sid's BFF.
JR has some weird fascination with wanting to prove people wrong about him, thinks everyone picks on him to much.
He wasn't scratched in the playoffs while being a - infinity and constantly f***ing up.
And everytime it's brought up JR is quick to defend the frigging guy and buried Schultz instead.

Reactions: Andy99 and ownal

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We need an offensive defenceman badly because we have to replace... *checks notes* the offensive dynamo Schultz and his 12 points. Makes sense.

They need a defenseman to replace what Schultz used to be and what they’ve been missing since then. The guy who put up 50 points when Letang was in and out of the lineup before his season ended. 35 point pace the next season as the injuries started mounting.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
One thing that is still curious to me is that JR said he wanted to keep some cap space in anticipation for Marino's new contract. Everything that's been done recently points to him not doing that. Just odd.

No.

No.
It's called sarcasm, but also at the same time the most JR-est of JR moves.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They need a defenseman to replace what Schultz used to be and what they’ve been missing since then. The guy who put up 50 points when Letang was in and out of the lineup before his season ended. 35 point pace the next season as the injuries started mounting.

They've needed to replace what was lost with Daley for a long time.

And also Phil Kessel...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If that's the configuration...Matheson-Marino and Pettersson-Johnson, our defense just got a lot more expensive without getting a lick better.
Neither of us know a thing about how Matheson will look alongside Marino if he plays there. Very likely not good, but there is a non-zero chance he excels.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I rather sign Gustafsson to a 4m x 4 contract. He could be a guy who puts up Schultz like numbers and is a better PP QB.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Looks like the first quote says that about Hornqvist, and the data in the first quote suggests Matheson's in the 25th percentile for play driving on offense and the 18th for play driving on defense.

Zone entries and exits look good, but please tell me you remember the same thing about zone exits being said for JJ. I know this happened, I just can't find a link for the life of me and godforsaken HF search doesn't go back to 2018.

The zone entry data on JJ was much worse than Matheson.

Matheson also has regularly outproduced anything JJ ever did at ES point wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad