WJC: Hope Emerson Etem brought his ear plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
uhhhhh I'd prefer to keep that to myself, officer.

Actually I'm a Buffalo firefighter so you're safe.:laugh:

I ask because most NHL out of towners (players) just see the ride from the airport and the area around the arena. Both of which are hardly inspiring things to look at and give a crappy projection of the city.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Seriously, guys, deal with it.

Buffalo is a ghost town, like Detroit, Cleveland and much of the Rust Belt except for Pittsburgh.

Why so much hate?

Why would I deal with it? The fact that out of towners don't know places to go to have a good time doesn't make it a ghost town.

I'm under no delusions that Bufflao is some hidden amazing metropoliton paradise. Its hardly that and much of it is a **** hole. I spend much of my work hours in these areas.

But generally the folks that claim there is nothing to do here have never tried to find something to do.

Whether its amazing restaurants, museums, party spots, malls etc believe it or not we have them. Because they aren't around the arena doesn't mean they don't exist.

I do have to say the Swedes comments strike me as incredibly racist and ignorant.

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
Why would I deal with it? The fact that out of towners don't know places to go to have a good time doesn't make it a ghost town.

I'm under no delusions that Bufflao is some hidden amazing metropoliton paradise. Its hardly that and much of it is a **** hole. I spend much of my work hours in these areas.

But generally the folks that claim there is nothing to do here have never tried to find something to do.

Whether its amazing restaurants, museums, party spots, malls etc believe it or not we have them. Because they aren't around the arena doesn't mean they don't exist.

I do have to say the Swedes comments strike me as incredibly racist and ignorant.

Every city has something to do. That's not what's argued here. What's argued is that Buffalo, like most Rust Belt cities, is a wasteland, a prime example of urban decay.

Buffalo has some great art deco architecture, but that's pretty much the only thing going for it.

Plus, the Swedes have an awesome country and they are not accustomed to so much decay and poverty.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Every city has something to do. That's not what's argued here. What's argued is that Buffalo, like most Rust Belt cities, is a wasteland, a prime example of urban decay.

Buffalo has some great art deco architecture, but that's pretty much the only thing going for it.

Thanks for telling me whats in the city and region I live in :laugh:

Let me guess, you went to a hockey game here so now you're an expert on the city and region.

I must be imagining the places I go to in the city. Since out of towners keep telling me its not really there.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Etem's just a kid, and he'll eventually learn that sometimes it's best to be quiet. Brutal honesty has its place, but not when badmouthing the host city for the biggest tournament of his life.

As far as his hometown is concerned, I hear that some parts of LA aren't exactly picturesque.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Etem's just a kid, and he'll eventually learn that sometimes it's best to be quiet. Brutal honesty has its place, but not when badmouthing the host city for the biggest tournament of his life.

As far as his hometown is concerned, I hear that some parts of LA aren't exactly picturesque.

Would love to drop the Swedes there for a day

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
Thanks for telling me whats in the city and region I live in :laugh:

Let me guess, you went to a hockey game here so now you're an expert on the city and region.

I must be imagining the places I go to in the city. Since out of towners keep telling me its not really there.

Don't be irate, bro. I know a lot about urbanism and I've been to Buffalo countless times.

Swedes and Europeans in general have clean cities, crimeless cities. They're not used to the kind of ghettos and decay American cities have.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Don't be irate, bro. I know a lot about urbanism and I've been to Buffalo countless times.

Swedes and Europeans in general have clean cities, crimeless cities. They're not used to the kind of ghettos and decay American cities have.

Actually, it sounds like you don't know much of anything.

BlackAces*

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
If they havent left Downtown Buffalo, then he has a somewhat valid point. Downtown has pretty much nothing for 17-18 yr old kids to do

Exactly, some perspective would be wise in this situation.

He's a kid.

What does a 18 year old kid know about the world? He can't even legally go to a pub and drink. My idea of a great city is completely different from Emerson Etem's idea, given that I am older, and have the experience to enjoy things on a different level than essentially what a "kid" can.

Etem is probably commenting on superficial things, like architecture, skyscrapers and public spaces, all being viewed during the Winter. Let's not get so upset that an 18 year old kid is calling your city out.

jeanlucgrandpierre

Buffalo Sabres Fan
Aug 4, 2008
Baltimore
If that Swede is scared of "one exit wrong from highway" I'd hate to see what would have happened had the tournament actually been somewhere scary. I have lived all over the East Coast in various larger cities, and while I won't argue what there is to do, Buffalo is far from scary.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Exactly, some perspective would be wise in this situation.

He's a kid.

What does a 18 year old kid know about the world? He can't even legally go to a pub and drink. My idea of a great city is completely different from Emerson Etem's idea, given that I am older, and have the experience to enjoy things on a different level than essentially what a "kid" can.

Etem is probably commenting on superficial things, like architecture, skyscrapers and public spaces, all being viewed during the Winter. Let's not get so upset that an 18 year old kid is calling your city out.

I could care less about his comments. As you pointed out he is a kid. Its the piling on from the ignorant masses.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
lol... I forgot we can't say anything remotely negative around here. :sarcasm:

Being negative is one thing. Making sweeping generalizations about things is quite another.

Ok Mr.Urbanism thats been to Buffalo. Where is the Elmwood village? Chippewa? Allentown? or Hertel Ave?

bpc2083

Mar 2, 2010
Buffalo, New York
If that Swede is scared of "one exit wrong from highway" I'd hate to see what would have happened had the tournament actually been somewhere scary. I have lived all over the East Coast in various larger cities, and while I won't argue what there is to do, Buffalo is far from scary.

many places can be scary when it's in the middle of the night in the dead of winter and you're unfamiliar with the area you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad