WJC: Hope Emerson Etem brought his ear plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
armstrongwahavi.gif

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Actually, it sounds like you don't know much of anything.

It's kinda true though.

Sweden has Rosengård but other than that??

My city of 1.5 (metro) has not one area where one would feel unsafe
walking at night alone. I actually live in one of the poorer immigrant areas because it's cheap and feel safe 24/7.

I felt scared walking through downtown Atlanta and Memphis.
Wasn't pretty. I actually shot a few pics of Memphis downtown area that look like a scene of an apocalyptic movie and it was actually 2pm on a working day.
Even small European city centres are busy and buzzing during the day.
It amazed me in a negative way and I can see how other European kids, espicailly from rich countries like Norway, Sweden or Switzerland might feel if they see city with a "different downtown-concept" than we are used to.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Funny stuff. He's wrong though, it's not the worst city ever but it's pretty close.

Most of the crowd is Canadian anyway so I doubt they really care.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The ignorance in this thread is amazing. Buffalo is a great city for sports, food, nice people, real people and partying. The bar scene is pretty good in Buffalo and we go till 4 am. I could see why some 19 year old dummy from Cali wouldn't understand that.

There aren't a lot of jobs and downtown isn't spectacular but there is a ton of culture and history. There are good music and arts scenes and if you know where to go, you will have a good time.

I'm glad this ******* isn't going to hit up Elmwood or Allentown tonight. Hopefully he won't make it to the NHL and he will never come to Buffalo again.

I lived in Florida for quite awhile and just returned to Buffalo 2 years ago. There are things about old cities like Buffalo and Cleveland that you can't find in the fake cities like Orlando and Miami.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've been to Buffalo enough times...seems like just another city to me. Not much goin on but this city created Buffalo wings. I find it hard to rip on the city for this reason alone.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
http://www.buffalorising.com/2010/11/-buffalo-this-place-matters.html#SlideFrame_1

watch this video. people gotta realize you have to find the right spots in the city to hang out. they're there, just not right by all the hotels. god forbid someone take a drive for five minutes.

If that's the cities big 'grab' video... I can understand these quotes.

Sure, for you people who live there and grew up there, you enjoy it and there are things to do - but for a visitor, it doesn't seem like there is much to do. Thus, the reputation it has gained over time. It isn't a destination.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I went back and read some more of this thread and the ghost town stuff is hysterical. The University at Buffalo has 20,000 students and it they are growing. There are a lot of young college people looking for a good time.

Downtown there is absolutely nothing to do. But like others have said, if you hit up Chippewa, Elmwood, Hertel Ave., Allentown, you are going to have a lot of fun. Not to mention the various bars and restaurants in Buffalo and the suburbs.

I am waiting to be picked up and I am going to head out to Elmwood in about ten minutes. I know there are going to be a ton of cool people and a ton of young, hot chicks out there. I am going to have a good time. People who live here for awhile know it is a great place to live and a lot of them end up staying here, like Scotty Bowman, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and others.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I went back and read some more of this thread and the ghost town stuff is hysterical. The University at Buffalo has 20,000 students and it they are growing. There are a lot of young college people looking for a good time.

Downtown there is absolutely nothing to do. But like others have said, if you hit up Chippewa, Elmwood, Hertel Ave., Allentown, you are going to have a lot of fun. Not to mention the various bars and restaurants in Buffalo and the suburbs.

I am waiting to be picked up and I am going to head out to Elmwood in about ten minutes. I know there are going to be a ton of cool people and a ton of young, hot chicks out there. I am going to have a good time. People who live here for awhile know it is a great place to live and a lot of them end up staying here, like Scotty Bowman, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and others.

Again, you could say this about any city in the U.S or Canada. Buffalo is nothing special, just another city and there's nothing wrong with that.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
Emery was too big for a small town too.

He loved Ottawa though.....at least that's what he said.

I don't really follow the Senators, but I've never seen an Emery quote close to what Etem has said about Buffalo.

I was just alluding that the post I was quoting was equating Etem and Emery for the obvious similarity and not any comparative reason.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't really follow the Senators, but I've never seen an Emery quote close to what Etem has said about Buffalo.

I was just alluding that the post I was quoting was equating Etem and Emery for the obvious similarity and not any comparative reason.

Yeah true. I was just assuming the original poster you were quoting was saying they were similar because they both wanted a big city experience in a smaller one. Rayzor was always a classy guy when it came to the city and fans though.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It's kinda true though.

Sweden has Rosengård but other than that??

My city of 1.5 (metro) has not one area where one would feel unsafe
walking at night alone. I actually live in one of the poorer immigrant areas because it's cheap and feel safe 24/7.

I felt scared walking through downtown Atlanta and Memphis.
Wasn't pretty. I actually shot a few pics of Memphis downtown area that look like a scene of an apocalyptic movie and it was actually 2pm on a working day.
Even small European city centres are busy and buzzing during the day.
It amazed me in a negative way and I can see how other European kids, espicailly from rich countries like Norway, Sweden or Switzerland might feel if they see city with a "different downtown-concept" than we are used to.

I hear certain areas of Malmo are somewhat unwelcoming to a native Swede. How about the banlieues of Paris? Wander from the train station in Marseilles down to the old port; I suggest a daytime stroll.

European cities have scary, impoverished areas. They just happen to be in the near suburbs, not the picturesque city centers frequented by tourists. In many American cities the opposite is true.

Take the blinders off.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Exactly, some perspective would be wise in this situation.

He's a kid.

What does a 18 year old kid know about the world? He can't even legally go to a pub and drink. My idea of a great city is completely different from Emerson Etem's idea, given that I am older, and have the experience to enjoy things on a different level than essentially what a "kid" can.

Etem is probably commenting on superficial things, like architecture, skyscrapers and public spaces, all being viewed during the Winter. Let's not get so upset that an 18 year old kid is calling your city out.

None of that has anything to do with the issue at hand. No excuse for the lack of respect those comments demonstrate.

I've been to Buffalo enough times...seems like just another city to me. Not much goin on but this city created Buffalo wings. I find it hard to rip on the city for this reason alone.

Check out The Anchor Bar in Buffalo if you want good wings...

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

Emery once on Off the Record when the Sens were playing the Sabres in the playoffs, was asked, and im paraphrasing, "whats the best thing to do in Buffalo"

and Emery responded "TGIFridays"

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I distinctly remember Ray Emery ripping on the city of Buffalo while he was still a Senator. It was during his downward spiral season in Ottawa when he threw those tantrums, road raged on an old man, etc etc.

By downward spiral season do you mean the one where he backstopped Ottawa to the finals and beat up on the Sabres (in more ways than one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad