WJC: Hope Emerson Etem brought his ear plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Funny how people complain that hockey players are boring yet jump on any player who dares say something other than the same overused cliches.

Because there is a difference between not using canned cliches and insulting the city of the fans that pay to see him play.

No real defending these comments, and I couldn't care less about Etem, Buffalo or Medicine Hat (which I admittedly couldn't even point out on a map).

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
How about just honest! That's what he thinks and who cares!

We all know that the economies of cities in the rust belt such as Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit... have been hit hard economically.

With lots of people off work for the Holidays there's probably even less people downtown Buffalo when the games aren't going on. And with the college kids also on break the areas of Buffalo with much of the nightlife are probably also dull and empty. So he's probably right that it appears to be ghost town.

Cleveland made huge strides in the past 15 years and is in pretty good shape.

Buffalo has had a number of larger business enter the area and employ hundreds of people in the past 18 months.

Detroit....well, you got me there. :p:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To the people suggesting "it's refreshing to hear a player speak his mind".... Put yourself in the shoes of a person holding a dinner party, how would you feel if one guest (without being prompted or asked) all of a sudden speaks out and says "Honestly, the food at this party sucks, the house is ugly, and I'm bored off my a##"?

Respect seems to have gone out the window.

It's one thing for foreigners to do it, it's another when you're talking about your home country, infront of the fans who are supposed to support you.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm sure this won't be the last of how the world thinks Buffalo is a ****hole.

But you know what?

154879_163483360355624_102263079810986_253149_3362310_n.jpg

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
:laugh: Wasn't expecting the title... Who are those comments by, all I understood was the English paragraph, couldn't find a name. Apparently respect no longer exists.

Those comments are from a Finnish colleague of theirs.
But they basically agree, and they say a song called "**** Towne" is their soundtrack for the trip so far. :laugh:

Jesus Toews*

He's entitled to his opinion and it's not like what he said was baseless. He also probably doesn't think random people he doesn't know are reading his tweets.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Those comments are from a Finnish colleague of theirs.
But they basically agree, and they say a song called "**** Towne" is their soundtrack for the trip so far. :laugh:

Honestly though, it's not even fair. Those Swedish players/journalists probably spend plenty of time in Stockholm. Most cities would look like **** in comparison.

He also probably doesn't think random people he doesn't know are reading his tweets.

This is kind of the whole point of twitter.

KristoLeblanc*

He is kind of right...

I've been in Buffalo several times for business meetings back then. The city is a ghost town really. There was nobody in a weekend in a afternoon in the downtown.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
I don't see why the crowd would care. Bufallo is pretty close to the border but, I doubt they have any attachment to it. :P

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
LOL at people trying to stick up for Buffalo.

Whats so comical about sticky up for Buffalo? I'm assuming you no nothing of the area and just follow along with the stereotypes. Its easier that way.

I'm amazed, though I shouldn't be, be the ignorance used to form these opinions.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
What's the big deal? I know several people who would agree. Do you really ***** out everyone who hates your city? And he does have a right to talk about crap cities, he lives in a crap town on the edge of a crap county. If anything I'd call him an expert. Lol

It's called being respectful.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't see the big deal, looks like he uses like he's speaking to friends more than for the fans, obviously people say stuff like that to their buddies and he probably didn't think any serious fans would see it. Also he's biracial so the black kid thing doesn't really apply since he's half white.

slimkay

Mar 20, 2009
Montreal
Seriously, guys, deal with it.

Buffalo is a ghost town, like Detroit, Cleveland and much of the Rust Belt except for Pittsburgh.

Why so much hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad