WJC: Hope Emerson Etem brought his ear plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpc2083

Mar 2, 2010
Buffalo, New York
Like what? Shovel snow? Throw rocks at trains?

Wow did you take all night to think of that one? Did you hit "submit reply" and think to yourself "yeah, everyone will laugh and that and think i'm original and hilarious"? You obviously went to the smart school in your area didn't you?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Let's be honest, corrupt politics have held this city from becoming what it should be. If they ever developed the waterfront, like they have said they were going to for 15 years, we wouldn't hear this stuff anymore. Nothing that needs to get done in Buffalo gets done. So when you have a chance to showcase your city, it's not what it should be. Etem is wrong, but it's not hard to see where he's coming from. Buffalo needs to wake up and get some of these projects done if it ever wants toget rid of this view it holds of itself and what other people pile on.

bpc2083

Mar 2, 2010
Buffalo, New York
Downtown Buffalo is a joke. no one likes going down there, save for bar hoppers hitting Chippawa or events at Sheas or HSBC arena. Even the hotels down there are abysmal. The 33 (the highway from the airport) doesn't help either. It's goes right through the worst areas of the city.

I understand the outsiders point of view. You get stuck downtown in a hotel and you're thinking "WTF is there to do here?" Once 5-6 pm rolls around everyone is heading home for the downtown offices and the place goes silent.

That's another thing, its almost january. It's cold as hell outside and it gets dark early this time of year. And it's the middle of the week. The only reason anyone is downtown is to work or go out to dinner/drinks. If this were June, there would be festivals and concerts almost every day downtown. But nothing really goes on in the winter time except for the Powder Keg festival and the Labatt 4 on 4 hockey tournament.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Even if it is is true... How can this stuck up snob think this is okay to say? Not only did he piss off the fans in the city who are going to cheer for him and Team USA but he pissed off his fans in Medicine Hat too?

Unbelievable.

Even if there isn't a lot to do its not like he is in Buffalo for a field trip. What a dirt bag.

Just to think I was pretty peeved when Darcy passed him up for Pysyk in the draft last year. Now I know why he dropped to #29. Stuck up California snob who is too worried about what he's going to do off the ice than what he's supposed to do on the ice.

BlackAces*

Swedes generally like black people, we haven't got many black immigrants only adopted ones. And as a result they spend most of their time fitting in and are percieved as very polite.

:laugh: This whole paragraph is very sad.:(

Humphrey*

I like my city, don't care what others think about it.

I do wish there was more going on in the heart of downtown but oh well.

BlackAces*

I like my city, don't care what others think about it.

I do wish there was more going on in the heart of downtown but oh well.

In Canada, the challenge that Buffalo has are not unique. Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Vancouver, Ottawa, these places have vibrant downtowns.

Winnipeg, Edmonton,Calgary,Hamilton, Regina, among many others, all have trouble getting people downtown and creating a lively atmosphere.

BlackAces*

How is someone being adopted from a hard life to a often over-middleclass family and raised to become a good person sad?

You make it sound like it is some impossible feat that black people fit in, in Sweden.

Also Swedes "generally like black people"...how super of you all.

Humphrey*

In Canada, the challenge that Buffalo has are not unique. Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Vancouver, Ottawa, these places have vibrant downtowns.

Winnipeg, Edmonton,Calgary,Hamilton, Regina, among many others, all have trouble getting people downtown and creating a lively atmosphere.
yep. and it is natural for people to defend the city they live in. i just don't get outraged about it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Swedes generally like black people, we haven't got many black immigrants only adopted ones. And as a result they spend most of their time fitting in and are percieved as very polite.

That's not what people I've met from Malmö have to say about it...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Why what did they have to say? I'm everyone may be a tad racist to som degree and it depends where you go and the view of the individual person. Most Swedes I've met are not and they are not openly racist like the stuff you see in Russia.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Buffalo isn't the worst city, maybe 2nd though. That honor goes to Cleveland.

Disagree on all counts. There's much more to do in Cleveland than there is in Buffalo. Cleveland has an incredible art museum, and the 2nd best orchestra in the country (#1 goes to Pittsburgh, IMO) to go along with the better-known attractions.

Buffalo has sprawl. And Tim Russert is from there.

But there's far worse than those places. Ever heard of Gary, IN? Jacksonville, FL? Camden, NJ? Syracuse, NY? And as far as downtowns go, Detroit is way worse.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
You make it sound like it is some impossible feat that black people fit in, in Sweden.

Also Swedes "generally like black people"...how super of you all.

Iv'e got a adopted black friend and he always hung out with swedes. I don't know what kind of social system you have but why would you be sarcastic about liking another people?

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
1. Whether what he said is right or not, as a member of a US national team, you have a responsibility to represent yourself, USA Hockey and your country in a positive manner. Being on that team is a big honor. Etem obviously didn't think a tweet aimed at his friends and family would become front page news, but I am sure he's hugely embarrassed now by what he did. We've all seen 18 year olds do dumb things, and this was just dumb.

2. I think he probably needs to apologize and man-up for insulting the host city. If he won't, I think the US team should suspend him or send him home. There is a lesson to be learned here, and when you do something dumb, you need to face some consequences. USA Hockey's PR team should work with the kid, and get it done.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Did you just compare Sweden to... denmark?:scared:

Swedes generally like black people? This is such an absurd statement. There are a lot of Swedes and there are a lot more black people. To speak in such generalities about either group is ridiculous.

People from Malmo generally do not like black people? Equally absurd.

Why what did they have to say? I'm everyone may be a tad racist to som degree and it depends where you go and the view of the individual person. Most Swedes I've met are not and they are not openly racist like the stuff you see in Russia.

Russians are openly racist? There are a lot of Russians, and they are all individuals.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Iv'e got a adopted black friend and he always hung out with swedes. I don't know what kind of social system you have but why would you be sarcastic about liking another people?

The western hemisphere is a melting pot. The idea is, they aren't "another people".

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Russians are openly racist? There are a lot of Russians, and they are all individuals.

Of course there are individuals, there always is but they acts displayed from the ones that are racist are far from discreet the country has almost half of the worlds skinheads, racism there is not the same than other places.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Maybe you should ask those people if they actually meant black people? Iv'e been to malmö and if theres been any within eye distance they have quickly drowned in the ocean of balkan people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia