Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
That's what happens when you get into money troubles and some asshat D-man wants 8 millions. Armia was due for a good raise to 2.5 millions, maybe he will get it from the Habs. Chevy did it to himself when he signed Mason.

Hindsight is crystal clear isn't it. We all would have went crazy if the Jets went with Hellebuyck and Hutchinson after what happened in 2017.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This trade hurts, but it's far better than trading away Perreault (which I doubt the Chevy would have done anyways) and there is the added bonus of possibly re-signing Stastny. It's the price of doing business in a salary cap league but the right thing to do when you look at the bigger picture.

Sad to see Armia go, but this just opens up an opportunity for Vesalainen, Dano and Petan.

Mason is a good goalie but he was overpaid as a backup here. Very happy to get rid of his cap hit even though it will hurt our goaltending depth. Time to find a cheap backup on the FA market.

Bourque looks like a bad prospect. Hopefully he can bounce back this year, but he's a longshot to ever make the NHL.

Losing draft picks sucks as we lose the opportunity to add depth to the organization through D&D or trades. On the bright side, we have no issues with depth on our NHL roster right now so it's not needed as much as in the past.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets need to go all in. Get Stastny for Armia and a couple of low picks. This way they can do something else with Perrault and Myers, including keeping them this year. Jets have Roslovic, Dano, Petan, Vesalainen to play wing. I loved Armia, but it's go time.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Seems steep to move Mason's contract.

Liked what Armia brought, but won't lose any sleep over trading him.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Honestly I thought something like this would happen even though the Jets want Stastny this also could mean no bridge deal for morrissey so we could lock up are 3 Big Rfas

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
True, but the return we got was still very mediocre.
Very silly comment.
In a cap league where teams are still trying to figure things out, salary dumps are tough to pull off. Just follow the nbaNBA cut your teeth on cap dumps.
This is a trade that had to be done and one can also not fault Chevy for signing MadoM in the first place. No one predicted that awful season of his and there is a possibility that Mason is now done. That concussion and knee thing is problematic.
Anyways, onwards and upwards. Armia was great at ragging the puck bit didn't translate to anything much too often.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Hindsight is crystal clear isn't it. We all would have went crazy if the Jets went with Hellebuyck and Hutchinson after what happened in 2017.
Hellybuyck tore up the World Cup series so you could see the potential. He only went bad at the end of the year from too much work load.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I just posted a few days ago that I’m pretty sure that Armia’s days are done as a Jet. I have to admit it as a Finn that he is just not good enough for the Jets and they definitely have to get rid of his kind of players to get space for Vesalainen to play for the A team already this season. He is too good to practice a whole season in the AHL. I’m pretty sure that Vesalainen will play at least a part of the next season for the Jets. And I would not be surprised at all if he plays even the whole season for the Jets. Practically like Laine.

When the player is good enough, you play him and forget about much less efficient farm training. For very good prospects whom are especially physically strong it’s best way to take care of their development by giving them playtime against the best players in the world. Let’s see how it goes, but I have a feeling that I will be right again about Vesalainen not playing for the Moose after all.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Jets need to go all in. Get Stastny for Armia and a couple of low picks. This way they can do something else with Perrault and Myers, including keeping them this year. Jets have Roslovic, Dano, Petan, Vesalainen to play wing. I loved Armia, but it's go time.
At the end of the day ( so to speak ) the Jets will be significantly better.

Not a done deal or at least announced but some people said this was going to happen most however did the typical HF reaction and claimed the Jets simply had no room, no options to sign Stastny.

Stastny at 2 C equals a truly legitimate chance to win any series in the playoffs. That isn't the scenario without him or a similar C.

Angst is never missing from most posters.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Looks like we’re set up to have:

Ehlers-stastny-Laine
Perreault-little-Roslovic

as our middle six.

Then put out an elite shutdown line as our 4th line. Looks pretty good to me

Indeed! This is why I'm confused about all the complaining. There's still Vesa, Dano, Lemieux, Petan and Appleton who can fill in on wing if needed.

I'd say things look better than ever!

Hey, how about Pavalec as backup? Anyone ...

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
The people on this board.... lol the sky is falling! This move doesnt affect us in a bad way what so ever. Armia was worth next to nothing and easily replaceable. The draft picks are staggered, wont make any difference in the long run.
We will end up signing a cheap backup.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Pretty pissed that we had to get rid of Armia but I'm pretty happy that we have the cap room to re-sign Stastny.

This also makes room for Roslovic to get more minutes and maybe Vesalainen if he proves it in camp.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Not sure what kind of return people expected on a trade to dump salary.
Wouldn't prospects or a player you don't use like Petan or Dano plus retained salary been a better choice? Armia was top 9 on the team that should have represented the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad