Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You're right, you can't compute. You just put Armia on a 4 man line.
You did prove my point that there are only so many lines and roster spots available though. Do you have him on that 4 man line or in the top 6 with 7 other players? Even if Perreault we're moved, that's still 6 plus Armia in the top 6, and 3 plus Armia on the 3rd line.

With so many Armias, they should have traded him twice.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
When I think of past Cup champions many have had borderline top 6 forwards. Pittsburgh is one. The salary cap is such that you can't afford 4 30 goal scorers at wing in your top 6.

A name winger is going to have to be traded. Armia would have been ideal to slide up and down the lineup. Also, his penalty killing contribution was overlooked.

I miss him a helluva lot. Would rather have him for the next four or five years than Perrault.
They won't have Perreault nearly that long.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When I think of past Cup champions many have had borderline top 6 forwards. Pittsburgh is one. The salary cap is such that you can't afford 4 30 goal scorers at wing in your top 6.

A name winger is going to have to be traded. Armia would have been ideal to slide up and down the lineup. Also, his penalty killing contribution was overlooked.

I miss him a helluva lot. Would rather have him for the next four or five years than Perrault.
MP is the most likely candidate to be sacrificed next to the cap. Just wait until we have to give up someone really important. That will hurt like a b****.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
MP is the most likely candidate to be sacrificed next to the cap. Just wait until we have to give up someone really important. That will hurt like a b****.
There is room to extend Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba* long-term while retaining Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry, Byfuglien, and Hellebuyck.

*Trouba may not sign for reasons not related to money, so insert another piece in his stead if that is the case.

To keep this relevant in respect to the thread, I don't think Armia could have been a part of the long-term core. There are just too many pieces that are, as KingBogo pointed out, more important.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I would argue we can't extend Buff long term. The Wheeler contract is already looking bad, we can't risk pouring seven million dollars into Buff and play him big minutes when he's 37. I also don't think its wise to keep Connor, Ehlers and Laine long term.

The more I watch this team the more I think a winger needs to be traded for help in the middle of the ice....for maybe two young players, maybe some really strong prospects. The balance is not right.

Reactions: Robinson2187

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
There is room to extend Laine, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba* long-term while retaining Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry, Byfuglien, and Hellebuyck.

*Trouba may not sign for reasons not related to money, so insert another piece in his stead if that is the case.

To keep this relevant in respect to the thread, I don't think Armia could have been a part of the long-term core. There are just too many pieces that are, as KingBogo pointed out, more important.

Just adding up rough estimates of salaries of the players you mentioned is 67 million dollars.

That's for 11 players.

That only leaves about 15 million for 13 players.

it's not possible to keep everyone.

Not even close

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I would argue we can't extend Buff long term. The Wheeler contract is already looking bad, we can't risk pouring seven million dollars into Buff and play him big minutes when he's 37. I also don't think its wise to keep Connor, Ehlers and Laine long term.

The more I watch this team the more I think a winger needs to be traded for help in the middle of the ice....for maybe two young players, maybe some really strong prospects. The balance is not right.

Uhhh, I think its wiser to try to keep them then to blow them out. If you trade one thats fine, but you cant trade 2 of them. Thats a fantastic way to ensure your not only missing your window but burning down the house its attached to.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I am beginning to fear if we keep Wheeler and Buff at their current salaries, the money paid to them will shorten our window as opposed to extending it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Extend Buff for 5m for 2 more seasons and let Vaseline replace Roslo and Roslo replace MP.

Last edited:

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Just adding up rough estimates of salaries of the players you mentioned is 67 million dollars.

That's for 11 players.

Not even close

Rough estimates indeed. The cap will rise, too. Have a go with cap friendly. It's possible, and far from "not even close."

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Rough estimates indeed. The cap will rise, too. Have a go with cap friendly. It's possible, and far from "not even close."

Here are my estimates for the group u mentioned:

Laine 10
Morrissey 7
Trouba 7
Buff 7
Wheeler 8.5
Schief 6
Ehlers 6
Connor 7
Lowry 2.5
Little 5.5
Helle 6

Actually that's like 70 million bucks.

First to admit I'm not a math guy, so teacher please check my homework, but unless we see a dramatic rise in the cap, I fear a top heavy roster with no depth. That's my concern. Will it come to pass? not necessarily....is it a legitimate concern?...I think so...

Reactions: Halberdier

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Laine 10
Morrissey 7
Trouba 7
Buff 7
Wheeler 8.5
Schief 6
Ehlers 6
Connor 7
Lowry 2.5
Little 5.5
Helle 6

First to admit I'm not a math guy, so teacher please check my homework, but unless we see a dramatic rise in the cap, I fear a top heavy roster with no depth. That's my concern. Will it come to pass? not necessarily....is it a legitimate concern?...I think so...
It's a good problem to have. Just requires some good management. Don't know what they'll do.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
That's not the substance of my complaint at all. My point was that Armia's value may have been more than this point contributions, and that the things he did well happen to be the things few of our other forwards seem to do well. That's not the case with Dano (or anyone else we let go).
Exactly I wlda gave mason dano petan and lemuiex to mtl just to keep armia

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Laine 10
Morrissey 7
Trouba 7
Buff 7
Wheeler 8.5
Schief 6
Ehlers 6
Connor 7
Lowry 2.5
Little 5.5
Helle 6

It's definitely the reason Joel Armia had to be moved.

I'm not certain Laine gets $10M. Eichel got $10M. I think Laine is closer to $8M than he is to $10M. I could be wrong.
Rounding everyone's estimated AAV up to the nearest million also cuts down on critical "wiggle room" that can be the difference between having players at league minimum (scraps) and players who actually add depth.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's for 11 players.

Not even close

I think Trouba for Borgstrom and a 1st should be considered. Montreal is running an all Finnish line right now but it doesn't look that good. Nor does Armia on their 1st PP. But Armia and Byron give them a good PK duo. Veselainen-Borgstrom-Laine would be a treat. Competing with Connor-Little-Roslovic. Defense with a 1-2 of Morrissey, Buff still has some merit. Need to add another d, but with Myers, Niku, Poolman as the bottom 3, lots of good pieces in place. Samberg, Stanley, Green in the pipeline.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think Trouba for Borgstrom and a 1st should be considered. Montreal is running an all Finnish line right now but it doesn't look that good. Nor does Armia on their 1st PP. But Armia and Byron give them a good PK duo. Veselainen-Borgstrom-Laine would be a treat. Competing with Connor-Little-Roslovic. Defense with a 1-2 of Morrissey, Buff still has some merit. Need to add another d, but with Myers, Niku, Poolman as the bottom 3, lots of good pieces in place. Samberg, Stanley, Green in the pipeline.
Have you seen Florida's record so far? I know it's early but they'd be insane to trade their first pick.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Have you seen Florida's record so far? I know it's early but they'd be insane to trade their first pick.

If it's in the 9-12 range, which I think they'll get to with their talent, that's not a huge sacrifice for a top 3 defenseman.

I think Detroit, Ottawa, Rangers, Philly, Kings and a few others will pass them in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad