Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I hope Mason lands somewhere. I like him but he had a brutal season injury wise.
Yeah i really dont think his stint in the peg was representative of him as a player. I understand they got rid of him tho id just like to see him get another chance to up his value so we would get something better for a potential starter goalie and even more so an potentially elite goalie (he had some great season before)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I also think something went wrong here. Mason never sucked enough for my eye-test to be satisfied and we know how brutal Winnipeg can be for goalies because for damn sure the team defense was not helping to begin the season.

Armia was a big question mark for me also. I think there is a solid producer in there given the right circumstances. We never even entertained the thought of what he might look like in the top-6 no matter how crazy he was at times. This team is a brick house and if you don't fit, you don't fit. Then we'll just dump you to Montreal for nothing. Bravo.

But I know so little about the cap game that I'm probably missing many things.
Simply to clear cap space to keep roster in tact.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I also think something went wrong here. Mason never sucked enough for my eye-test to be satisfied and we know how brutal Winnipeg can be for goalies because for damn sure the team defense was not helping to begin the season.

Armia was a big question mark for me also. I think there is a solid producer in there given the right circumstances. We never even entertained the thought of what he might look like in the top-6 no matter how crazy he was at times. This team is a brick house and if you don't fit, you don't fit. Then we'll just dump you to Montreal for nothing. Bravo.

Its most likely due to cap but still. Armia is the real headscratcher here. And i agree we never saw him in a top 6 role over a period of time.

Hope he gets that with the habs.

If he hits 60+ points this would hurt. Huge if tho and he still wouldnt fit on jets top 6 which is crazy.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
^
Yup, good points.

I just need to digest that a cap dump is actually a thing. The value-guy in me is dying.

I don't know if anyone has played trading card games but I do understand the parallel concept of value vs tempo. We need tempo now, not value.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
He was found innocent in a court of law. He is actually a super nice guy, and has been highly respected in his home community.
As far as ‘over paid’, he is a great 2-way center, and Hockey Canada seems to love him

Hardly. The charges got dropped as there was no likelihood of conviction as the eyewitness waitress couldn't positively identify he was the driver as he ran too fast. Unless of course you believe he was just wandering the street nearby on foot over the legal limit while some unknown mystery driver crashed his truck into the coffee shop a couple of blocks away and took off. Unfortunately there are lots of super nice guys like that in the world. I doubt TNSE would want any part of him as they value character quite highly and he has none.

And for the record I did not say he was overpaid, just that he makes too much for TNSE to want to take on at this time.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Hardly. The charges got dropped as there was no likelihood of conviction as the eyewitness waitress couldn't positively identify he was the driver as he ran too fast. Unless of course you believe he was just wandering the street nearby on foot over the legal limit while some unknown mystery driver crashed his truck into the coffee shop a couple of blocks away and took off. Unfortunately there are lots of super nice guys like that in the world. I doubt TNSE would want any part of him as they value character quite highly and he has none.

And for the record I did not say he was overpaid, just that he makes too much for TNSE to want to take on at this time.
Assuming they didn't know about pavalec when they signed him the kept him for 5 years after they found out about his conviction. So much for that theory about tnse valueing character. If they could get a deal they liked they would trade for him in a heartbeat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Armia was good, but he also benefited from two facts:

1) He played primarily with Lowry, and everyone that played with Lowry had great shot metrics.
2) Armia's shot metrics were better than Lowry's but he also missed 4 games - 3 vs. Nashville and 1 vs. Vegas. So, his stats are skewed upwards by the dominant 5 games first round games vs. the Wild, and he missed some of the games that were more even in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
armia will be a healthy scratch by game 20 and a permanent resident of the pb in montreal cause he coasts 4 out of 5 games.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Agree with this synopsis from the article:
"He adds a heavy forechecking game, outstanding possession metrics, and the ability to play up and down the lineup as needed."

In fact, I posted essentially the same thing in the Canadians forum a couple of days earlier:
"... IF he stays healthy and IF given the opportunity, he will give you 40 points. Armia is a big, talented middle six winger who can play anywhere in the lineup, in all situations and is a possession beast. You will be very happy with him. "

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147766933/

Very sad to see him go and would not be surprised to see him flourish in Mtl.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with this synopsis from the article:
"He adds a heavy forechecking game, outstanding possession metrics, and the ability to play up and down the lineup as needed."

In fact, I posted essentially the same thing in the Canadians forum a couple of days earlier:
"... IF he stays healthy and IF given the opportunity, he will give you 40 points. Armia is a big, talented middle six winger who can play anywhere in the lineup, in all situations and is a possession beast. You will be very happy with him. "

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147766933/

Very sad to see him go and would not be surprised to see him flourish in Mtl.
I said he'd get 15 goals and 40 points if given the chance, that he can be similar to Frolik when he was in Winnipeg. I like your write up, I'd add best stick on the team too at stripping pucks.
I like him too but one thing we have to remember is that he'd likely get too expensive as a bottom six guy, and in a cap world where we need every dime we need to replace guys like him with young cheaper guys on ELCs like Petan, Vesalainen, etc.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I still don’t think we needed to do this trade, and think it was done primarily to try to keep Stastny. We could have waited one year with one of the extensions, or traded Armia/Myers/Perreault for picks instead of losing them... and we’d still have a backup goalie. I really can’t see this as necessary and am convinced it was for trying to keep Stastny.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I still don’t think we needed to do this trade, and think it was done primarily to try to keep Stastny. We could have waited one year with one of the extensions, or traded Armia/Myers/Perreault for picks instead of losing them... and we’d still have a backup goalie. I really can’t see this as necessary and am convinced it was for trying to keep Stastny.
definetly was done to keep him. now we will lose someone else to seattle also.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

None of Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry have contracts. You can't "wait" on the extensions they need to be signed in order for them to play for the Jets this year. Trouba, Hellebuyck, and Lowry all have arbitration rights so they were/will get full dollar one way or the other. Any "extension" signed by Wheeler or Laine wouldn't affect this year's cap, since you can't technically sign extensions in the NHL (it's technically a new contract with a start of July 1 the next year). Even with bridging Morrissey the Jets are likely within a million of the cap if you include bonuses (which they really don't want to slide into next year so you have to). Even Chevy admitting that much more shedding of salary would have been necessary if Stastny had signed. So signing Stastny likely meant dumping Myers and maybe Perreault as well. Many other people have posted the breakdowns of how salary will work this year. They needed to shed 5-6 million in salary without Stastny, they chose Mason and Armia. Whether it was better to go Myers or another route is debatable, the fact that they needed to shed salary even without Stastny is not.

I took the exact roster we have now and added some approximate contracts
RD Jacob Trouba - 8 years - 7.5 million
LD Josh Morrissey - 2 years - 3.5 million
G Connor Hellebuyck - 6 years - 6.25 million
C Adam Lowry - 5 years - 3 million
C Nic Petan - 1 year - .85 million
RW Marko Dano - 1 year - .90 million
RW Brandon Tanev - 1 year - 1.20 million
RD Tucker Poolman - 1 year - .975 million

Adding no one else those guys give us a 23 man roster (lines not in any particular order)
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Petan
Copp - Lowry - Tanev
Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Morrow - Myers
Chiarot - Poolman

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

It puts us 500K over the cap if all the rookie bonuses are hit. Meaning if they are (considering most of them are in Connor and Laine I would say there's a fair chance of that) the Jets have 500K less for next year. I don't think my numbers are out of line at all. Morrissey is the only one you can bridge of the big money players, the small money I gave them all pretty much their QO.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
None of Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry have contracts. You can't "wait" on the extensions they need to be signed in order for them to play for the Jets this year. Trouba, Hellebuyck, and Lowry all have arbitration rights so they were/will get full dollar one way or the other. Any "extension" signed by Wheeler or Laine wouldn't affect this year's cap, since you can't technically sign extensions in the NHL (it's technically a new contract with a start of July 1 the next year). Even with bridging Morrissey the Jets are likely within a million of the cap if you include bonuses (which they really don't want to slide into next year so you have to). Even Chevy admitting that much more shedding of salary would have been necessary if Stastny had signed. So signing Stastny likely meant dumping Myers and maybe Perreault as well. Many other people have posted the breakdowns of how salary will work this year. They needed to shed 5-6 million in salary without Stastny, they chose Mason and Armia. Whether it was better to go Myers or another route is debatable, the fact that they needed to shed salary even without Stastny is not.
I agree. Chevy said as much when he said more surgery might have been needed if they signed Stastny . Do you think all though not very likely that he wanted some extra space right away just incase Lowry trouba Morrissey and Helle were all offersheeted. Also if Stastny was signed.

Last edited:

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
people listen ...i dont Think armia putting much effort here at Winnipegs . why should he at this teratments going on and on. low minites, low paying. i dont Think at end at vegas going forward to putting Winnipeg to holidays he had really anything for it. i dont Think he really tried for his Life here for saving his own team, Winnipeg. i wouldnt...at his situations. what does cup mean for players who are unhappy at current team? not much i say. lets get the heck outa here i Think he Think all season. some say he up and down. well....no surprising here. he sometimes wants to show so he can get contract elsewhere of course....cant be putting up nothing all nights along. allright?

something more about stastny. : supergood he didnt stay here. why? beacause he didnt do much here of course. i say ; weak player who not can play at C role. he like a winger in my Eye.

how can people say here he is so good at second line? he creates nothing at C he only dumps pucks at bst to Deep zound for hunting for his linemates. this second line catasorphy. as said ...Ehlers should not play with laine, Ehlers only sakting with puck til opponent pick up puck. and stastny i say as said no C in eral meaning. small, weak, slow etc. no playmaker , no passing skill and forth.

hey people....listen. last ten games regular season laine 1 goal. stastny not getting able to pass. at playoff say 20 more games or so? laine 3-4 goals? . it didnt work. big C hole in this line. getting stuck at own zoun.

what is coach doing to laines career? having him with speedy dano and some kind of small wingers at C. laine not getting to having fun playing hockey here. dano taking puck and keeping it with his boyish skating til they it take away while laine skates besuides him and watches and Waits. and C throwing Deep pucks to hunt on. what is this? nothing of course. total nightmares for superstar laine who not having not being able to have good linemates for 2 whole seasons now!

is next season Another 60-70 Point season stucked in a b line? last season armia could have been given 2nd line C role. BIG, STRONG, SKILLED armia but no. instead he moved to other team while small, nontalented players given benefits here. of course bad for laine too. i somehow hard to belieft anything else for change will happen next season. laine to be given small amount of icetimes hidden in non working ehlersline next season also.

i really dont like this Ehlers. i dont like his hockey. i Think .. MY NION OF COURSE....i Think he sucks at whole hockey game. nion = OPINION

i only hope laine plays from nowon at first line with BIG MINITS, AND BIG PLAYESR. NO MORE BULLSHIT HE MUST LEARN to play first etc. there is no such. he is a TOTALDOMINATION PLAYERS AND GOING ONLY FORWARD PLAYING THE BIGGEST LINE WITH BIGGEST PLAYERS othervise he can start showing noninterest and lazying. and he should. it is up to coach. the fans should all this know. selfconfiness and Points to scoreboards will reach sky only by playing 1st line and with best players. Ehlers is not worthy to laine in 1st line. at ATARIgame one thing but at hockey no more stupidy. c mon coach!

i was banned til one day ago. they say i get angry here. if this is not stil readables soon then i got Another pervert ban. please remember my Word. i have read rules and my Word is my opinion and opinion is for rights to have. thank you and amen

by the way they loose cup beacause of coach. if laine had letted to MONSTER OUT then cup would be winning. but caoch did his . no chang still? lame. NUMERO UNO PRIORITY at this team should now be to have laine MONSTER OUT. build it and he will come. there is a 2 line whole at line 3 and 4 now. armia made this team . AND THIS WHILE NOT PUTTING MUCH EFFORT TO IT !

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
FWQSYz4.gif

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
people listen ...i dont Think armia putting much effort here at Winnipegs . why should he at this teratments going on and on. low minites, low paying. i dont Think at end at vegas going forward to putting Winnipeg to holidays he had really anything for it. i dont Think he really tried for his Life here for saving his own team, Winnipeg. i wouldnt...at his situations. what does cup mean for players who are unhappy at current team? not much i say. lets get the heck outa here i Think he Think all season. some say he up and down. well....no surprising here. he sometimes wants to show so he can get contract elsewhere of course....cant be putting up nothing all nights along. allright?

something more about stastny. : supergood he didnt stay here. why? beacause he didnt do much here of course. i say ; weak player who not can play at C role. he like a winger in my Eye.

how can people say here he is so good at second line? he creates nothing at C he only dumps pucks at bst to Deep zound for hunting for his linemates. this second line catasorphy. as said ...Ehlers should not play with laine, Ehlers only sakting with puck til opponent pick up puck. and stastny i say as said no C in eral meaning. small, weak, slow etc. no playmaker , no passing skill and forth.

hey people....listen. last ten games regular season laine 1 goal. stastny not getting able to pass. at playoff say 20 more games or so? laine 3-4 goals? . it didnt work. big C hole in this line. getting stuck at own zoun.

what is coach doing to laines career? having him with speedy dano and some kind of small wingers at C. laine not getting to having fun playing hockey here. dano taking puck and keeping it with his boyish skating til they it take away while laine skates besuides him and watches and Waits. and C throwing Deep pucks to hunt on. what is this? nothing of course. total nightmares for superstar laine who not having not being able to have good linemates for 2 whole seasons now!

is next season Another 60-70 Point season stucked in a b line? last season armia could have been given 2nd line C role. BIG, STRONG, SKILLED armia but no. instead he moved to other team while small, nontalented players given benefits here. of course bad for laine too. i somehow hard to belieft anything else for change will happen next season. laine to be given small amount of icetimes hidden in non working ehlersline next season also.

i really dont like this Ehlers. i dont like his hockey. i Think .. MY NION OF COURSE....i Think he sucks at whole hockey game. nion = OPINION

i only hope laine plays from nowon at first line with BIG MINITS, AND BIG PLAYESR. NO MORE BULL**** HE MUST LEARN to play first etc. there is no such. he is a TOTALDOMINATION PLAYERS AND GOING ONLY FORWARD PLAYING THE BIGGEST LINE WITH BIGGEST PLAYERS othervise he can start showing noninterest and lazying. and he should. it is up to coach. the fans should all this know. selfconfiness and Points to scoreboards will reach sky only by playing 1st line and with best players. Ehlers is not worthy to laine in 1st line. at ATARIgame one thing but at hockey no more stupidy. c mon coach!

i was banned til one day ago. they say i get angry here. if this is not stil readables soon then i got Another pervert ban. please remember my Word. i have read rules and my Word is my opinion and opinion is for rights to have. thank you and amen

by the way they loose cup beacause of coach. if laine had letted to MONSTER OUT then cup would be winning. but caoch did his . no chang still? lame. NUMERO UNO PRIORITY at this team should now be to have laine MONSTER OUT. build it and he will come. there is a 2 line whole at line 3 and 4 now. armia made this team . AND THIS WHILE NOT PUTTING MUCH EFFORT TO IT !

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Now that's worth toasting. Why can't more people see that Ehlers is just a bad influence on Laine, on and off the ice? Danes (spit). :laugh:

giphy.gif

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
1st paragraph: The trade wasn't necessarily for this season alone. There are 3 big RFAs to sign this season. Armia was going to get more too. You've basically replaced $4.1 with $650k and $1.75 to $2m with an ELC. Nothing would indicate Armia would want out. He was just the easiest to move, given hes an NHL regular that Montreal can control for a bit longer for cheap, plus his production can be replaced. He's a cap casualty.

Chevy is the responsible for game to game coaching decisions. That's why you hire a coach.

You hand over picks to get out of cap trouble. Armia was in no way getting a "late 1st" in any scenario. The team looks no worse now than they did last year.

Armia was in the bottom 6 because there were six forwards better than him on the team. He might get top 6 minutes in Montreal but thats because their forward group is objectively worse, not because Julien is going to magically unlock this talent that Maurice ignored by playing him lower down the lineup with the Jets.

If you played hockey and you were stuck in a team loaded with other wingers with a higher payroll and getting more regular ice time. Would you like to stay with a lower salary you are likely to get where you are, or go elsewhere where you'd most likely get more $ and ice time on top of that? The better question in my opinion is why would he want to stay? By the way it's not as simple as saying "there are six better players than <insert a name>". I think Armia would have easily potted 57 points had he played practically the entire season with Scheifele and Wheelers. Where as Connor would probably had spent the season in AHL rather than being placed in a defensive role in the bottom six. That is if we inverted the roles and it's just an example. Nevermind you actually think the team looks as good as it did 17-18 with Stastny and Armia on board? Wow, m'kay.

Should the Jets adapt to modern hockey, try to balance and utilize as many lines as possible to spread the offensive wealth, that certainly wouldn't hurt in keeping the core intact. Since despite the recent losses, they still look like a playoff team and players tend to prefer a playoff team over bottom feeder. However as long as P.Mo is around I think we'll see a one line team where three guys get to enjoy prime time, while keeping the rest fighting for whatever leftovers.

What happened was Chevy basically gave up two first round picks for one playoff run. One for signing Stastny to play half a year here. The second by not moving Armia sooner and instead letting him join the playoff race. A signed Armia (with a reasonable contract) would have fetched a late first rounder no doubt about it as opposed to actually having to not only hand him over for free, but future prospects along. That's a hefty price tag for one playoff run I would say especially since they came short at the very end. Also correct me if wrong but didn't he also just make a deal with the Vegas to protect Armia & Lowry in the expansion draft? Yeah, someone had to go, but would you rather keep for example Kulikov instead of Armia when there are the likes of Niku and Poolman knocking on the gates? Or even keeping aging Perreault over another winger who's just entering his prime? However, like I said, he probably didn't want to stay anyway. No matter the necessities, it doeasn't make this look any less brutal. I suppose in the coming seasons we'll know better how good Chevy really is what comes down to asset/cap management. Now he just had his first taste.

I think the Little contract just wiped out whatever space the Jets had left to maneuver (imagine if they could've handed those millions to Stastny instead, who's by ease the superior player). Followed by the Mason contract that now backfired horridly. This team looks far less contending than it did before the 17-18 playoffs started and there's been some screw ups along the way which's impacts are yet to be discovered. To be honest with Maurice behind the bench I'm not sure what to expect from next season.

Reactions: HKbleu

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If you played hockey and you were stuck in a team loaded with other wingers with a higher payroll and getting more regular ice time. Would you like to stay with a lower salary you are likely to get where you are, or go elsewhere where you'd most likely get more $ and ice time on top of that? The better question in my opinion is why would he want to stay? By the way it's not as simple as saying "there are six better players than <insert a name>". I think Armia would have easily potted 57 points had he played practically the entire season with Scheifele and Wheelers. Where as Connor would probably had spent the season in AHL rather than being placed in a defensive role in the bottom six. That is if we inverted the roles and it's just an example. Nevermind you actually think the team looks as good as it did 17-18 with Stastny and Armia on board? Wow, m'kay.

Should the Jets adapt to modern hockey, try to balance and utilize as many lines as possible to spread the offensive wealth, that certainly wouldn't hurt in keeping the core intact. Since despite the recent losses, they still look like a playoff team and players tend to prefer a playoff team over bottom feeder. However as long as P.Mo is around I think we'll see a one line team where three guys get to enjoy prime time, while keeping the rest fighting for whatever leftovers.

What happened was Chevy basically gave up two first round picks for one playoff run. One for signing Stastny to play half a year here. The second by not moving Armia sooner and instead letting him join the playoff race. A signed Armia (with a reasonable contract) would have fetched a late first rounder no doubt about it as opposed to actually having to not only hand him over for free, but future prospects along. That's a hefty price tag for one playoff run I would say especially since they came short at the very end. Also correct me if wrong but didn't he also just make a deal with the Vegas to protect Armia & Lowry in the expansion draft? Yeah, someone had to go, but would you rather keep for example Kulikov instead of Armia when there are the likes of Niku and Poolman knocking on the gates? Or even keeping aging Perreault over another winger who's just entering his prime? However, like I said, he probably didn't want to stay anyway. No matter the necessities, it doeasn't make this look any less brutal. I suppose in the coming seasons we'll know better how good Chevy really is what comes down to asset/cap management. Now he just had his first taste.

I think the Little contract just wiped out whatever space the Jets had left to maneuver (imagine if they could've handed those millions to Stastny instead, who's by ease the superior player). Followed by the Mason contract that now backfired horridly. This team looks far less contending than it did before the 17-18 playoffs started and there's been some screw ups along the way which's impacts are yet to be discovered. To be honest with Maurice behind the bench I'm not sure what to expect from next season.
yes chevy traded a would be 1st rounder named armia to get rid of mason contract instead of including say someone expendable like Kulikov or Perreault . this may be hard to believe but Kulikov and Perreault are probably not getting you a 1st but miles ahead of armia in value. everything buffalo fans said about armia were true on the day he left as they were on the day we picked him up, disappointing and leaves you wanting more. I find this interesting what posters like you and others say about little is word for word what blues posters were saying about stastny. should we have believed them. players go thru bad streaks doesn't mean they are washed up. I love button and how brutally honest he is said with the speed of the vegas team stastny couldn't handle it and was no where as near as impactful and the jets should be careful what they offer him. little hasn't lost any speed and is far from washed up. I think little will outscore stastny over the next 3 years.

Reactions: Jimby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad