Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
More important to lock up their own RFAs.
And what about when all the RFAs are signed and there's still going to be spare cap space... ?

This season isn't the breakpoint, you can't sign anyone to anything that wouldn't allow you to give the big extensions a year from now.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Yes. But I don't think saving a few 00k at the bottom is the way to do it. Staggering big contracts with bridge deals, occasionally trading an older player before he loses too much value and - very rarely - trading a high value younger player for a big return should get the job done. And it will allow keeping lower level players who are actually worth more than their contracts, like Armia probably would have been.

Bridge deals tend to result in higher cap hits overall. From the team perspective when you give a bridge deal you are trading salary for reducing the risk of a bad contract. Obviously they give a salary break for the 2 years of the bridge deal but you pay a lot more on the back end then you save on the bridge deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bridge deals tend to result in higher cap hits overall. From the team perspective when you give a bridge deal you are trading salary for reducing the risk of a bad contract. Obviously they give a salary break for the 2 years of the bridge deal but you pay a lot more on the back end then you save on the bridge deal.

I'm not sure that's true. Everyone points to Subban but he is not the rule.

It makes sense that they would lead to higher cap hits just because of inflation. The LT contracts are signed later.

I've done projections quite a way out and they work. Just when we get in trouble again Kulikov's contract expire, then Perreault's and Buff's. That buys us a few more years and then others expire. It isn't perfect, but what you are buying is offsets of bigger contracts. If you look at TBL I think you will see they bridged almost everyone once they got to be a cap team. They keep juggling.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Absolutely dump trade. Little should been traded for cap space.

But who'd take that contract? I'd imagine Little being far harder to move than Mason who's last pay day with the current AAV is next year. Due to Little contract the Jets couldn't attain Stastny, nor will they have any second line caliber centers coming their way next year and most likely not in any following years either.

As far as the trade goes - and I just saw/heard of this - I'm honestly blown away. Since the Jets didn't make any signings, what was the hurry off getting rid of Mason? I mean he had only one year left of the contract and the Jets weren't breaching the cap next year. I haven't read every page out here so what's the story really? Armia probably was done and maybe he wanted out (who wouldn't in his shoes) but not only was he just handed over but picks as well for a player who scored 3 points in 46 games last year in the AHL? What on earth?

I've been bumping Chev's tires but all these bridge deals are going to cost the team a fortune in the coming year(s) and now the Mason signing just blew back on his face. Not lifting a finger to stop the misuse of Trouba (probably one of the reasons he wanted out earlier) and having Laine visit the doghouse last year. Now some really questionable trade where he hands over free picks along with top 6/9 winger, all so he can get 1 year's cap dump and for what exactly? Armia could have returned late 1st if having dealt with earlier but now you need to give future prospects instead. Insane. Does the team look stronger going into the next year? Think not. Maybe I misjudged the man. Guess we'll find out.

What the heck. Oh well, at least maybe finally Armia can have a decent chance of getting his career back on the track while no longer being pushed down in the bottom six with no chance of moving up.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
With the xtra cap space from dumping Mason, I think it’s important to lock up Morrissey, Trouba and Helly long term, 8 years each, and lock up Lowry for 3 years.

If we can do those terms with those player and keep the aav at $20m or less, we are heading in the right direction.

If Chevy gets those contracts done, and works an extension with Wheeler, I can live with this summer. Lock Laine up long term would be a cherry on top.

Once we lock up our core, in a few years if the cap rises, we can be a player in free agency. We knew that decisions were going to be made and players would be moved as a result, Armia being the first.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
other than perhaps the penalty kill, will there ever be a time where you will say "man, i miss Armia"? Not me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But who'd take that contract? I'd imagine Little being far harder to move than Mason who's last pay day with the current AAV is next year. Due to Little contract the Jets couldn't attain Stastny, nor will they have any second line caliber centers coming their way next year and most likely not in any following years either.

As far as the trade goes - and I just saw/heard of this - I'm honestly blown away. Since the Jets didn't make any signings, what was the hurry off getting rid of Mason? I mean he had only one year left of the contract and the Jets weren't breaching the cap next year. I haven't read every page out here so what's the story really? Armia probably was done and maybe he wanted out (who wouldn't in his shoes) but not only was he just handed over but picks as well for a player who scored 3 points in 46 games last year in the AHL? What on earth?

I've been bumping Chev's tires but all these bridge deals are going to cost the team a fortune in the coming year(s) and now the Mason signing just blew back on his face. Not lifting a finger to stop the misuse of Trouba (probably one of the reasons he wanted out earlier) and having Laine visit the doghouse last year. Now some really questionable trade where he hands over free picks along with top 6/9 winger, all so he can get 1 year's cap dump and for what exactly? Armia could have returned late 1st if having dealt with earlier but now you need to give future prospects instead. Insane. Does the team look stronger going into the next year? Think not. Maybe I misjudged the man. Guess we'll find out.

What the heck. Oh well, at least maybe finally Armia can have a decent chance of getting his career back on the track while no longer being pushed down in the bottom six with no chance of moving up.

The rush was the June 30 buy out deadline. They had to move him prior to that date because Montreal needed to waive him for the purpose of buying him out. They don't trade for him without being able to buy his contract out.

The Jets needed to clear out 4 million one way or the other in order to sign their FA's. Moving Armia and going cheap on the backup likely signifies to me that they might be looking to go long term with Morrissey instead of a bridge which they would have had to have done if they didn't move out about an additional 1.5 million.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Yes, yes they were. Even now with bridging Morrissey, signing Hellebuyck. Lowry. Trouba long term the Jets are likely within a million of the cap. With Mason and Armia they were well over.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
other than perhaps the penalty kill, will there ever be a time where you will say "man, i miss Armia"? Not me.

Penalty kill & forecheck. Having a winger that knows how to defend is not a bad thing in general, esp. when you consider what kind of tire fire the Jets are defensively at times (like against Vegas).

That said Armia was not a core piece. I just think he gave quite nice bang for buck and was easily better than Matthias and Dano combined.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I won't say I'll miss the Armia we had, but if he turns into a 30 goal scorer for Montreal, I will be perplexed and perturbed, perhaps even petulant.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I won't say I'll miss the Armia we had, but if he turns into a 30 goal scorer for Montreal, I will be perplexed and perturbed, perhaps even petulant.
oh yeah. that same conversation jets fans had for the last 2 offseasons. "When Armia becomes a 30 goal scorer."

i'll wait for that day as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

1st paragraph: The trade wasn't necessarily for this season alone. There are 3 big RFAs to sign this season. Armia was going to get more too. You've basically replaced $4.1 with $650k and $1.75 to $2m with an ELC. Nothing would indicate Armia would want out. He was just the easiest to move, given hes an NHL regular that Montreal can control for a bit longer for cheap, plus his production can be replaced. He's a cap casualty.

Chevy is the responsible for game to game coaching decisions. That's why you hire a coach.

You hand over picks to get out of cap trouble. Armia was in no way getting a "late 1st" in any scenario. The team looks no worse now than they did last year.

Armia was in the bottom 6 because there were six forwards better than him on the team. He might get top 6 minutes in Montreal but thats because their forward group is objectively worse, not because Julien is going to magically unlock this talent that Maurice ignored by playing him lower down the lineup with the Jets.

Reactions: Flair Hay

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I will miss Armia, I think he can be similar to Frolik. He's not just a pk player. He has a great stick, good on fore check and has hands. I hope he gets third line minutes. He'll get 15 goals next season, I like him, but he would get too expensive as a bottom six. So move him and replace him with cheaper option, Petan to start year, Vesalainen soon after.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Buffalo fans were right on armia. No big loss.
Why, you don't think he's a good bottom six? Bottom six guys need to be replaced with cheaper options, but I was happy with Armia given his role. Him and Lowry don't have tons of points, doesn't mean they're not good NHLers

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
You can minimize drunk driving and leaving the scene all you like but I don't think he fits the TNSE profile for the character they like to see. That and he's also a former contract holdout.

Also way too much money.
He was found innocent in a court of law. He is actually a super nice guy, and has been highly respected in his home community.
As far as ‘over paid’, he is a great 2-way center, and Hockey Canada seems to love him

Reactions: HKbleu

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I think we lost a deal here. Armia can be great but inconsistent however he definatly helped the team as a whole. Mason id be willing to give one more season just due to the slight chance he would resurrect his previous stats which would be huge. Oh well...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we lost a deal here. Armia can be great but inconsistent however he definatly helped the team as a whole. Mason id be willing to give one more season just due to the slight chance he would resurrect his previous stats which would be huge. Oh well...
I hope Mason lands somewhere. I like him but he had a brutal season injury wise.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

I also think something went wrong here. Mason never sucked enough for my eye-test to be satisfied and we know how brutal Winnipeg can be for goalies because for damn sure the team defense was not helping to begin the season.

Armia was a big question mark for me also. I think there is a solid producer in there given the right circumstances. We never even entertained the thought of what he might look like in the top-6 no matter how crazy he was at times. This team is a brick house and if you don't fit, you don't fit. Then we'll just dump you to Montreal for nothing. Bravo.

But I know so little about the cap game that I'm probably missing many things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad