News Article: Pirates Penguins $17.99 local streaming

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Next board meeting...We should give this away because selling things doesn't appeal to thieves.
Charging $18 a month to watch one really shitty team that has no intention of winning because Bob won't increase payroll and another team that's becoming pretty shitty because they are stuck in the previous decade... versus ESPN+ that has 90% of all the NHL games (including the Penguins games which are blacked out), and the PGA, UFC, NBA, college sports, ect. for $11 a month.... and I'm the thief?

Like I said, their price point is ridiculous. I would do it for 7.99 a month IF I could just cancel it after the hockey season. If they lock you into a year long contact then F that.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
Charging $18 a month to watch one really shitty team that has no intention of winning because Bob won't increase payroll and another team that's becoming pretty shitty because they are stuck in the previous decade... versus ESPN+ that has 90% of all the NHL games (including the Penguins games which are blacked out), and the PGA, UFC, NBA, college sports, ect. for $11 a month.... and I'm the thief?

Like I said, their price point is ridiculous. I would do it for 7.99 a month IF I could just cancel it after the hockey season. If they lock you into a year long contact then F that.
18 per month is really nothing. Locals have to pay cable prices to watch the Pens and Pirates; ESPN will be blacked out locally.

And without seeing the numbers, I can almost guarantee you that ESPN will be making way more per dollar on their 11/month subscription than FSG will be making in their 18/month subscription. ESPN will be bringing in way more on ads, etc then a local Pittsburgh sports streaming service will, for instance

FSG isn’t ripping people off here. This is the cost of doing business and providing an excellent alternative to locals who want to watch their favorite sports teams without paying 100+ for cable.

A lot of people here are really lacking perspective and complaining for the sake of complaining.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
18 per month is really nothing. Locals have to pay cable prices to watch the Pens and Pirates; ESPN will be blacked out locally.

And without seeing the numbers, I can almost guarantee you that ESPN will be making way more per dollar on their 11/month subscription than FSG will be making in their 18/month subscription. ESPN will be bringing in way more on ads, etc then a local Pittsburgh sports streaming service will, for instance

FSG isn’t ripping people off here. This is the cost of doing business and providing an excellent alternative to locals who want to watch their favorite sports teams without paying 100+ for cable.

A lot of people here are really lacking perspective and complaining for the sake of complaining.
And to each their own. But I'm really not complaining to complain. I do not have cable. I have an $20 antenna from amazon for local channels (which is free). I pay $55 a month for internet and that's it. The only subscription service I have is ESPN+. I guess I just don't see the value in increasing my internet/streaming budget by almost 30% to watch only most of the Penguins games. Because there will still be TNT exclusive games, ESPN+ exclusive games, and ABC games that won't be shown on this service. To watch all the games you'll need more than one product here. So even if I pay for this, I'm still ripping the TNT games at a minimum.

Just not for me.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
And to each their own. But I'm really not complaining to complain. I do not have cable. I have an $20 antenna from amazon for local channels (which is free). I pay $55 a month for internet and that's it. The only subscription service I have is ESPN+. I guess I just don't see the value in increasing my internet/streaming budget by almost 30% to watch only most of the Penguins games. Because there will still be TNT exclusive games, ESPN+ exclusive games, and ABC games that won't be shown on this service. To watch all the games you'll need more than one product here. So even if I pay for this, I'm still ripping the TNT games at a minimum.

Just not for me.
Saying it’s not for you is fair. Suggesting the price point is ridiculous is lack of perspective when you consider that ESPN and a local Pittsburgh sports streaming service will have very different business models in terms of things like scale of customer base and cost absorption.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
You can get ESPN+ that has all Penguins games (outside of nationally televised games) if you're living outside of the Pittsburgh area.
Yea and it's half the price. I used ESPN plus with a VPN and likely will again since it's cheaper and you get every NHL game.

$18/month is a lot cheaper than my cable bill at the moment, and I pretty much only keep cable in order to watch the Pens games, so I guess I'm the target market for this.

I'm in the Pittsburgh region, so I don't think there are any other legit streaming options for Pens games available otherwise?
ESPN plus, it's $10 a month. Just use a VPN.

This is fantastic news. You no longer have to pay $85 for cable to watch games.

I’m glad they are finally realizing cable is dying and providing a venue to stream locally.

They will have my money as soon as the season starts.
$85 for cable? What is this 1998?

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yea and it's half the price. I used ESPN plus with a VPN and likely will again since it's cheaper and you get every NHL game.

Just to play devil's advocate.... Your VPN free?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Its not that bad. I'd gladly pay it if i could.
I pay around 73$ /month to bad able to watch Pens games. That includes all NHL games and some films/series as well. But only thing i use it for is the pens games. So i sure wish there was a way of paying less to only watch those.
From sweden.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'll probably end up with it. I do not have cable and do have some of the other basic streaming services, probably total ends up around 50-60 a month all told plus whatever I pay for internet.

While it's certainly easy and not incorrect to take the "payferateamthatsucksblaaaaaargh" approach I have the mitigating factor of a young son who loves watching the Pens.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Hell yeah. Some of my favorite childhood memories are watching/listening to Pens games with my dad and mom regardless of how good the team was.

One of my "core memories" is getting to stay up late with my dad and watch the Pens thrash the North Stars to win game 6 in 1991 and then us hopping in the Chevy S-10 to go meet the team at the airport.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005

It's only a matter of time until the local rights holders / member clubs force ESPN to crack down on VPN users. Offering a standalone streaming service devalues the channels from the carriers perspective. They will need to do everything they can to limit cannibalization via ESPN+ & VPN.

It's not difficult to do, try using gambling app or Ticketmaster with a VPN.

$70 - $90 is what you pay for Youtube TV or any other streaming cable service that includes ESPN & the local RSNs.

There are always going to be people that steal content.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005

Regional sports rights are drastically more valuable than all of the national ESPN+ content you just mentioned. That's why they are licensed separately.

Yet still, it's $1.80 per game if you just use it for hockey. $50+ less per month than any current alternative. And yes you are a thief because you are stealing content.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
For unlimited data/streaming, mine is $99 per month :(
That's not cable. You just have cable channels.

It's only a matter of time until the local rights holders / member clubs force ESPN to crack down on VPN users. Offering a standalone streaming service devalues the channels from the carriers perspective. They will need to do everything they can to limit cannibalization via ESPN+ & VPN.

It's not difficult to do, try using gambling app or Ticketmaster with a VPN.

$70 - $90 is what you pay for Youtube TV or any other streaming cable service that includes ESPN & the local RSNs.

There are always going to be people that steal content.
Right. ESPN blatantly allows it.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
If the purchase isn't ownership then the piracy isn't theft.
Even if it is, I don't give a rats ass. There are double digit ISP service providers in my area, including ones such as Verizon that I've had previously. Only about 3 are available to me now (None of which are verizon, hmm.) because of the bullshit, criminalistic monopoly they and the politicians have allowed to be setup to keep prices over-inflated. Same goes for cable providers.
As the the good Lord had spoketh- an eye for an eye. Steal from me.......

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

doc84

Sep 2, 2010
Fubo, but that’s like 75-80$ a month. So if you truly only watch Pens/Pirates, this would obviously be the better deal.
Only reason I have Fubo instead of youtube tv is because of pens games. Youtube tv is cheaper and also has tbs/tnt, now this app and its a no brainer to drop Fubo.

Reactions: FlightlessBird

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Everyone is correct

It's affordable
It's expensive
VPNs are a thing
Companies are working to kill VPNs
Piracy is a real hit to production
They don't try hard to make going legit effective

It sucks that in the digital age, where we could avoid having to bundle tons of content that we DON'T want, to get the few things we do...

... We really do end up with paying for 10 different streaming platforms lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad