Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I never said anything about being a superstar but he certainly should fit a second line role with ease. With forwards especially, consistency comes with ice time and responsibilities of which neither he really got to enjoy in Winnipeg. So it wasn't a surprise not seeing him being more productive. For that he never really even had the right line mates either.

I'm sure if the team was struggling, Armia would've had a shot in the top 6 but the team was successful and didn't really warrant a change. You have said that Little didn't really work with Ehlers and Laine but the solution isn't moving Armia to that line, and Connor worked so well with Scheifele and Wheeler that there was no need to really adjust that one.

2,5 minutes is still quite a lot. But yeah it was less apparent in the playoffs than in the regular season. Laine's TOI for instance dropped like what, 1,5 minute/game from 16-17 to 17-18 and why? Because he no longer had any role in the first line. So there was a vast separation between the two top lines and huge compared to rest. Unlike in many other NHL teams that are as deep.

I don't have the stats for all teams TOI but the separation doesn't seem that unusual. Maurice does use his top 3 lines a lot and ignores the 4th, and top 2 when they need a goal, but again, that's not unusual either.

To my best knowledge both Poolman and Niku have already spent their time in the AHL. Kulikov wasn't a necessary signing, yet they signed him anyway. Bad business? Who knows, time will tell I suppose. I think he got too much regardless.

Too much money, yeah I agree. But I don't think Poolman or Niku were ready - their first pro season was last season so they had no AHL time.

Second line wingers don't fetch mid to late first rounders? Right, maybe you need to go through some trades from the recent history and get your facts straight. He'll be second line forward in the Habs or if not the Habs then whatever organization he signs for before the season..

He's not a second line winger so no he wouldn't get a 1st. He might be a 2nd line winger on the Habs based on TOI next season, but we'll see if he produces like one. He certainly may become worth a 1st down the line but he isn't now, and it's not the Jets responsibility to move him up the lineup solely for the purpose of trading him for a first in the near future.

Would you like to clarify what this particular title means then exactly? Has he been a successful coach up until today if you go through his history? Try reflect those results to other active coaches and come back with the verdict. I'm genuinely curious.

When your second line is not functioning for half the season, what does your common sense tell tell you regarding the "could have been's"?

My quote means that using the "most losses" stat as a reason why Maurice is a bad coach is wrong because he's coached so many games, that he's going to have a lot of losses by volume alone.

Maurice addressed the 2nd line stuff this season. He said it wasn't working well but the other lines were working so well that he didn't have the option of breaking them up. Maurice gets criticized for going to the "blender" too quickly, but here he stuck with the lines that were winning games.

I don't think I mentioned anything about Stastny, Laine and Ehlers at the playoffs. I thought Stastny played fine as his points indicate. Laine was ok (could have been better) and Ehlers just disappeared, which in turn hurt the other two. Otherwise Laine and Stastny definitely had some chemistry at least, which again is far more than you can say about Laine and Little (who didn't really raise his level in the playoffs either). I'm not sure if your referring to Little's point totals in the coming seasons, but as I already mentioned the only reason he could potentially outscore Stastny is by having better line mates. Although I'd really wish we wouldn't have to re-live the entire horrow show called ELL ever again. Nevertheless, knowing Maurice he probably hasn't learned a thing.

We'll see about ELL this season. I don't think it worked either but no use criticizing a decision that hasn't been made yet.

You didn't mention Stastny in the playoffs. I said that Stastny's play was dipping as the playoffs progressed and that I don't think him at $6.5 is any better than Little at about a million less. And little had a different role in the playoffs than Stastny so I don't think comparing their points is fair - what is true is that Little needs to be better this year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Do you also assume the 4th and 7th round picks that went to Montreal in that deal asked for a trade?
Huh? Apparently that's what it took to get the deal done. I'll simplify it for you. This was a cap dump that didn't necessarily need to be done for the $ alone.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I never said anything about being a superstar but he certainly should fit a second line role with ease. With forwards especially, consistency comes with ice time and responsibilities of which neither he really got to enjoy in Winnipeg. So it wasn't a surprise not seeing him being more productive. For that he never really even had the right line mates either.

As Fans it's easy to assume all evaluations of a player come from 'game' action/results (is that correct/is that what you're suggesting). Regardless, in my opinion, that premise would be completely wrong, and misguided. Practice is the place where a lot of knowledge is gained, shared and exchanged; between coaches, management and the players.

What seems obvious to you- in ice time allocation and the roles within the Roster; is even more evident to those same teammates playing the game. Do you believe Joel felt he outperformed others (Blake, Nik, Patrik, Mathieu, Kyle) on a daily basis; in work ethic and skill, therefore he was denied an 'earned' role better suited to his skill-set? IMO, communication is imperative, it's the key dynamic. The players are held accountable. And therefore, roster composition rarely surprises those involved. Blake and Mark know why they play together. And the Organization knows the types of individuals that will most easily succeed with that style/commitment.

You, may blame the coaches for 'any' player's perceived mistreatment; but most players realise the solution to finger pointing, when assigning 'blame'...is to focus on the last two letters. Cheers.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I loved Armia's game on the PK and his puck retrieval in our zone was awesome. Not an amazing shooter, though. I don't know if I've ever seen a player who buried fewer of the amazing chances he created for himself.

That said, I'd really have liked to see him tried out higher up the lineup, or some skill brought down to his line. ELA might have been interesting, for example.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
My fear: Da Army will be doomed to play 3rd and 4th line minutes in secondary roles his entire (long) career.

My hope: He will be assigned to a role of his true potential, playing rest of his career up to his potential.

How it'll likely go: One Man Army will be respected, but unpaid 'Merc', doing his duty well where ever his path will go, doing everything "OK", but never establishing permanent roster position in any team.

Still, in a future locker room, a future rookies will listen what the army says. A soldier grunt in a league where everyone should act like a leader.

Army's strength is in his egoless all-around adaptativity following directly from his core skill set. You only see him when he is missing...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm sure if the team was struggling, Armia would've had a shot in the top 6 but the team was successful and didn't really warrant a change. You have said that Little didn't really work with Ehlers and Laine but the solution isn't moving Armia to that line, and Connor worked so well with Scheifele and Wheeler that there was no need to really adjust that one.

I never suggested of such (moving Armia into second line). The entire scenario was unideal for Armia who had basically played nothing but RW his career. The team had a log jam on the wing and there wasn't anything he could do about it. However, I don't think Ehlers and Laine were or even are a perfect match either. They are both shooters and there was basically no playmaker in the line. I actually wouldn't have been against the idea of giving Armia a look with Laine (L - x - A), especially in the first half of the season when it was quite apparent the ELL wasn't working. As for Connor, like I mentioned, he did well but lets be honest here, he got a lot of things handed over on the plate. We could see him struggle as soon as Scheifele got injured and Connor - Wheelers - Laine line was formed. If I remember correctly, he got dropped out of the equation pretty quickly. Also the first line (CSW) wasn't exactly elite at their own end I don't think he helped much in that regard. Then if we look at for example Ehlers who struggled with Little and Laine, played a handful of games at the beginning with Scheifele and Wheelers and had a number of multipoint nights. Brought this up just to illustrate how "challenging" it was to play with the two of them.

I don't have the stats for all teams TOI but the separation doesn't seem that unusual. Maurice does use his top 3 lines a lot and ignores the 4th, and top 2 when they need a goal, but again, that's not unusual either.

For a deep team like the Jets, I thought it was pretty strange the way Maurice would not try to balance the load and the efficiency of the roster, particularly when clearly there were players who were struggling and everyone could see they wouldn't mesh well together. It is coach's job to try find working combinations and with the tools he had available. Failing to do that and overlooking ongoing issues was rather strange to say the least. I can't really agree with your assessment looking back to the pre-Stastny era specifically.

Too much money, yeah I agree. But I don't think Poolman or Niku were ready - their first pro season was last season so they had no AHL time.

Yet we aren't really talking about the past here. This is about the now and beyond. Poolman got a handful of looks and didn't look too bad and despite Niku being rock solid in the AHL and one of the best defencemen in the league, he got one tryout in the Jets and he completely nailed it. I have no idea why P.Mo decided to leave it to that but Niku definitely looked NHL ready and I have a lot of faith he should be ready come 18-19.

He's not a second line winger so no he wouldn't get a 1st. He might be a 2nd line winger on the Habs based on TOI next season, but we'll see if he produces like one. He certainly may become worth a 1st down the line but he isn't now, and it's not the Jets responsibility to move him up the lineup solely for the purpose of trading him for a first in the near future.

He wasn't second winger in the Jets, sure. Everyone can agree with this. Nevertheless we are talking about a team that arguably was the deepest at the position in the entire league. Armia should easily make it to second line in most of the teams. I have no idea why you have so low impression of him, but nonetheless I have no worry re-visiting this conversation within the next 1-2 years when he's found the right home for himself.

My quote means that using the "most losses" stat as a reason why Maurice is a bad coach is wrong because he's coached so many games, that he's going to have a lot of losses by volume alone.

Maurice addressed the 2nd line stuff this season. He said it wasn't working well but the other lines were working so well that he didn't have the option of breaking them up. Maurice gets criticized for going to the "blender" too quickly, but here he stuck with the lines that were winning games.

Here's a list of coaches with most career games coached:

HHOF Records and Rankings -- NHL Coaches

Scotty Bowman has 10 more seasons under his belt, so without bothering with the simple math that would combine some ~700 or so more games? Isn't it odd that a coach who's managed a team 700 less games can still have more regulation losses than the other coach? Sounds insane. Yeah I know, but he coached Hartford Whalers and whatnot, but still take a look at that list and find six other coaches besides Bowman who've had even more games. Not particularly flattering and perhaps, just perhaps there could be little more to it than just having a bad core of players having to work with throughout the years?

We'll see about ELL this season. I don't think it worked either but no use criticizing a decision that hasn't been made yet.

You didn't mention Stastny in the playoffs. I said that Stastny's play was dipping as the playoffs progressed and that I don't think him at $6.5 is any better than Little at about a million less. And little had a different role in the playoffs than Stastny so I don't think comparing their points is fair - what is true is that Little needs to be better this year.

I truly hope we don't see ELL this season cause no matter how much the youngsters have progressed during the summer, it still won't make this line anywhere close to ideal. Even if they would get better results, it'd still be bad asset management since they clearly have zero chemistry and it's not just going to magically puff into play.

I would take Stastny at 6,5m/season for the next 3 years over Little at 5,3m/season for 6 years without hesitating for a second. Regardless, lets not overlook the fact that Little had 82 games to prove himself worthy and at the same time claim or/and re-claim his role in the second line but he didn't. In fact he didn't only struggle with the two particular youngsters but pretty much with every other line he centered. Didn't they even try Wheelers with him? There was only one line combination that seemed to suit him the entire year but it didn't last long. Sure I hope as much as anyone that he could get back to his old form but lets just be realistic here and accept the fact that this season wasn't just about a bad streak or whatnot.

As Fans it's easy to assume all evaluations of a player come from 'game' action/results (is that correct/is that what you're suggesting). Regardless, in my opinion, that premise would be completely wrong, and misguided. Practice is the place where a lot of knowledge is gained, shared and exchanged; between coaches, management and the players.

What seems obvious to you- in ice time allocation and the roles within the Roster; is even more evident to those same teammates playing the game. Do you believe Joel felt he outperformed others (Blake, Nik, Patrik, Mathieu, Kyle) on a daily basis; in work ethic and skill, therefore he was denied an 'earned' role better suited to his skill-set? IMO, communication is imperative, it's the key dynamic. The players are held accountable. And therefore, roster composition rarely surprises those involved. Blake and Mark know why they play together. And the Organization knows the types of individuals that will most easily succeed with that style/commitment.

You, may blame the coaches for 'any' player's perceived mistreatment; but most players realise the solution to finger pointing, when assigning 'blame'...is to focus on the last two letters. Cheers.

I was talking about consistency, meaning mostly on ice results. Practise is another thing and while it obviously is directly or indirectly linked to results, it's just one factor out of many in the big picture. If you're suggesting that Armia could have harnest better results by better practise as opposed to playing bigger minutes and actual skilled line mates, then I certainly can't say I can agree with that. Hockey is a team sport and unless you're McDavid or Crosby, there's only so much one can do with limited resources. Lets take a look at Laine for example. He scored 44 goals while averaging 16+ minutes a game. No other player in the history of the game have achieved such results with so little ice time (since they started counting TOI). It takes special gifts. In case of Armia I think he is gifted youngish player, but again, we are not talking about a rainmaker here.

I'm not a mind-reader and I can't assume what anyone is thinking and even if I did, it wouldn't really make a difference. The organization has clearly shown dedication to even younger core of which Armia was never part of. He wasn't part of the big picture as we can all see now. Like I've pointed out already Connor was gift wrapped a role in the first line and was he the better player compared to Ehlers or Laine for instance? I think not. Armia was assigned to a role from where he could not break loose. If he clearly showed he was better than Connor for instance, would they have inverted? No I don't think so. Why? Cause one player could play mature two-way game and the other was a rookie who was still learning and adapting.

I bolded the remark that seems rather baffling in particular. Since you think the organization is this greatly aware of which players are so greatly meshing up with each other, would you care to elaborate the ELL experiment? I'm genuinely interested hearing how it was so beneficial, or how it helped the team or players themselves.

I really don't grasp the concept of players themselves being responsible for not clicking, not finding chemistry or even remotely functional game. There are players like Scheifele and Wheelers or even Scheifele and Laine who sync in well together and there are players like Laine and Little or even Ehlers and Little that simply don't function well together at all. It's about how each think and play the game. Also as for pointing fingers I don't think generally especially the rookie or sophomore year, young players dare to to challenge the authority even if they feel out of place since most of them are well aware how much hold the organization has over them due to regulations in the league and via contracts. It's particularly strange to read and hear someone who pretty clearly holds youngsters the most accountable especially now that we have such a fresh example to look at. What happened again during the "reign" of ELL and what followed after the arrival os Stastny? Did the blame of dysfunctional hockey fall on two youngsters or did it fall down on the coach who was assigning them their respective roles and lines?

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
I was talking about consistency, meaning mostly on ice results. Practise is another thing and while it obviously is directly or indirectly linked to results, it's just one factor out of many in the big picture. If you're suggesting that Armia could have harnest better results by better practise as opposed to playing bigger minutes and actual skilled line mates, then I certainly can't say I can agree with that. Hockey is a team sport and unless you're McDavid or Crosby, there's only so much one can do with limited resources. Lets take a look at Laine for example. He scored 44 goals while averaging 16+ minutes a game. No other player in the history of the game have achieved such results with so little ice time (since they started counting TOI). It takes special gifts. In case of Armia I think he is gifted youngish player, but again, we are not talking about a rainmaker here.

I'm not a mind-reader and I can't assume what anyone is thinking and even if I did, it wouldn't really make a difference. The organization has clearly shown dedication to even younger core of which Armia was never part of. He wasn't part of the big picture as we can all see now. Like I've pointed out already Connor was gift wrapped a role in the first line and was he the better player compared to Ehlers or Laine for instance? I think not. Armia was assigned to a role from where he could not break loose. If he clearly showed he was better than Connor for instance, would they have inverted? No I don't think so. Why? Cause one player could play mature two-way game and the other was a rookie who was still learning and adapting.

I bolded the remark that seems rather baffling in particular. Since you think the organization is this greatly aware of which players are so greatly meshing up with each other, would you care to elaborate the ELL experiment? I'm genuinely interested hearing how it was so beneficial, or how it helped the team or players themselves.

I really don't grasp the concept of players themselves being responsible for not clicking, not finding chemistry or even remotely functional game. There are players like Scheifele and Wheelers or even Scheifele and Laine who sync in well together and there are players like Laine and Little or even Ehlers and Little that simply don't function well together at all. It's about how each think and play the game. Also as for pointing fingers I don't think generally especially the rookie or sophomore year, young players dare to to challenge the authority even if they feel out of place since most of them are well aware how much hold the organization has over them due to regulations in the league and via contracts. It's particularly strange to read and hear someone who pretty clearly holds youngsters the most accountable especially now that we have such a fresh example to look at. What happened again during the "reign" of ELL and what followed after the arrival os Stastny? Did the blame of dysfunctional hockey fall on two youngsters or did it fall down on the coach who was assigning them their respective roles and lines?

The bolded (you identified in my post) says just what it means. All the team concepts, systems, strategies, tactics, etc. rely on certain key elements of play (speed, quickness, vision, creativity). These are not unique to the Winnipeg Jets, as a team. Players that display elite skills in a range of these attributes will usually be the drivers on your team; and therefore will play expanded roles within the lines (top six, top nine, bottom six, whatever you want to term them).

As to your bolded above. I'm telling you, that in my opinion, a player's strengths/weaknesses are easily identified through everyday competition against their teammates/peers. The players themselves push each other for greatness (it's how this Organization came within a whisker of the President's Trophy). It's entirely your right as an observer to feel that Joel Armia has all the tools required to play increased minutes in a more offensive role. I'm simply suggesting that, that pace, has never manifested itself on this roster (during practice or games). To be clear, IMO, Joel is very good at elements of the game that suit his skill-set. He's a proven NHL player. However, getting to the next level of success, often requires making hard choices/decisions. To each their own.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The bolded (you identified in my post) says just what it means. All the team concepts, systems, strategies, tactics, etc. rely on certain key elements of play (speed, quickness, vision, creativity). These are not unique to the Winnipeg Jets, as a team. Players that display elite skills in a range of these attributes will usually be the drivers on your team; and therefore will play expanded roles within the lines (top six, top nine, bottom six, whatever you want to term them).

As to your bolded above. I'm telling you, that in my opinion, a player's strengths/weaknesses are easily identified through everyday competition against their teammates/peers. The players themselves push each other for greatness (it's how this Organization came within a whisker of the President's Trophy). It's entirely your right as an observer to feel that Joel Armia has all the tools required to play increased minutes in a more offensive role. I'm simply suggesting that, that pace, has never manifested itself on this roster (during practice or games). To be clear, IMO, Joel is very good at elements of the game that suit his skill-set. He's a proven NHL player. However, getting to the next level of success, often requires making hard choices/decisions. To each their own.

And again, it worked and then it didn't work. The management can try and fit players into lines with the knowledge that they do have and hope these combinations work. Yet whenever it didn't work (and the team was still winning due the immense depth), P.Mo decided the best course of action is simply do nothing, nothing at all really, apart from oftentimes drastically cutting the TOI from the players he didn't feel were performing with the tools given (ie. line mates). Also simply mapping player skills and abilities and then pairing them up on the paper does not necessarily reflect back as originally desired outcomes. If you're doing a puzzle it's not going to finish itself by forcing the last pieces together. In one of the cases Chevy intervened and fixed the problem by a trade. Since you clearly don't seem to have any questions or doubts in regards to how the system works, I asked you how exactly the "certain "experiment" helped these individuals and by ignoring it I suppose you don't have the answer.

I talked about consistency and how important it is to have equally or close as good line mates to work with in order to be consistent and productive. Armia didn't have these here and when you look at the roster and the players there, it's kind of understandable. What's the difference here is that I don't particularly blame him for falling short of stepping to the next level since he was practically never given the chance to. I mean what can you expect from an average 3rd line winger? He scored 29 points in 79 games last season. I briefly googled what are the average numbers in which position and have a look at this article here:

Common Misconceptions: How Much Should That Forward Score?

Since the article was written in 2011 I don't know how valid it is today. According to less professional research the production should have gone south:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-2015-16-points-average-by-position.2103903/
(note the average from 2011 for a 3rd line RW was ~19 pts and 2015-16 ~18 pts per season)

Nonetheless we have some kind of direction here and should we go with the numbers from 2011 you can see a good 3rd line winger scores 23 points per season. Well Armia topped that by 6 points. So what does that tell you? Maybe, just maybe he would have been servicable 2nd line winger after all. I argued for the case since Armia definitely didn't belong to the mold of an average 3rd line winger going with the eye-tests (in my opinion) and his numbers would certainly seem to support the idea.

Anyway I find your statements rather contradictive. Claiming that the organization identifies the abilities of each current individual and assigning them to respective roles without any bias and later claiming that this certain individual simply didn't prove himself worthy - when the actual reality of things was that there simply wasn't enough space for a player like him and that the organization pretty clearly decided to go with the (what they believe) even more promising youngsters and have their interests come first. Saying that Armia didn't try hard enough or didn't prove himself in the practise or at the games seems quite a reach (I mean did you actually participate these practises or where is this coming from?). I have no idea why some people have such a low impression of the player and while I'm not a particularly fan of Armia I do appreciate and acknowledge skill when I see it. Just like I learned to appreciate Stastny and feeling disappointed that he had to go - all the while knowing that the Jets lacked the resources to keep him.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
And again, it worked and then it didn't work. The management can try and fit players into lines with the knowledge that they do have and hope these combinations work. Yet whenever it didn't work (and the team was still winning due the immense depth), P.Mo decided the best course of action is simply do nothing, nothing at all really, apart from oftentimes drastically cutting the TOI from the players he didn't feel were performing with the tools given (ie. line mates). Also simply mapping player skills and abilities and then pairing them up on the paper does not necessarily reflect back as originally desired outcomes. If you're doing a puzzle it's not going to finish itself by forcing the last pieces together. In one of the cases Chevy intervened and fixed the problem by a trade. Since you clearly don't seem to have any questions or doubts in regards to how the system works, I asked you how exactly the "certain "experiment" helped these individuals and by ignoring it I suppose you don't have the answer.

I talked about consistency and how important it is to have equally or close as good line mates to work with in order to be consistent and productive. Armia didn't have these here and when you look at the roster and the players there, it's kind of understandable. What's the difference here is that I don't particularly blame him for falling short of stepping to the next level since he was practically never given the chance to. I mean what can you expect from an average 3rd line winger? He scored 29 points in 79 games last season. I briefly googled what are the average numbers in which position and have a look at this article here:

Since the article was written in 2011 I don't know how valid it is today. According to less professional research the production should have gone south:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-2015-16-points-average-by-position.2103903/
(note the average from 2011 for a 3rd line RW was ~19 pts and 2015-16 ~18 pts per season)

Nonetheless we have some kind of direction here and should we go with the numbers from 2011 you can see a good 3rd line winger scores 23 points per season. Well Armia topped that by 6 points. So what does that tell you? Maybe, just maybe he would have been servicable 2nd line winger after all. I argued for the case since Armia definitely didn't belong to the mold of an average 3rd line winger going with the eye-tests (in my opinion) and his numbers would certainly seem to support the idea.

Anyway I find your statements rather contradictive. Claiming that the organization identifies the abilities of each current individual and assigning them to respective roles without any bias and later claiming that this certain individual simply didn't prove himself worthy - when the actual reality of things was that there simply wasn't enough space for a player like him and that the organization pretty clearly decided to go with the (what they believe) even more promising youngsters and have their interests come first. Saying that Armia didn't try hard enough or didn't prove himself in the practise or at the games seems quite a reach (I mean did you actually participate these practises or where is this coming from?). I have no idea why some people have such a low impression of the player and while I'm not a particularly fan of Armia I do appreciate and acknowledge skill when I see it. Just like I learned to appreciate Stastny and feeling disappointed that he had to go - all the while knowing that the Jets lacked the resources to keep him.
I can't think of 1 team in the NHL that Armia would sniff a 2nd line role with even montreal. domi drouin patches gally. And if you play at 75% in a bottom 6 role no matter how much skill you have you end up being traded twice by the age of 24.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015

I offer as much palatable insight as I can for a forum of this nature (my opinion won't trump yours here). You can choose to glean from it what you will.

In response to the bolded.
I never claimed any player didn't prove themselves worthy of a team identified 'role', or of increased responsibilities. You may have inferred that, but that wasn't 'my' statement.
It appears that your understanding of Roster Composition is based on numbering the lines, and then preceding to deduce what the expectations of those that play on said lines are trying to accomplish. IMO, Joel Armia would've been able to achieve the same results expected of his skill-set, regardless of his line mates (they would be his line mates for a reason). Joel's matchup/assignment will always be about catering to his strengths/weaknesses within the team dynamics (he always played against a certain type of opponent). Joel had special team's assignments based on this same order of business. I hear Adam's line referred to as a third or fourth quite often, yet his deployment is based on entirely different criteria. I encourage you to believe what you will. Cheers.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I can't think of 1 team in the NHL that Armia would sniff a 2nd line role with even montreal. domi drouin patches gally. And if you play at 75% in a bottom 6 role no matter how much skill you have you end up being traded twice by the age of 24.

Ha, we'll see about that within the next few years won't we. Like I said, no problems re-visiting the topic.

I offer as much palatable insight as I can for a forum of this nature (my opinion won't trump yours here). You can choose to glean from it what you will.

You gleaned into the explanation of consistency and then breached about how the organization was trying to max out the performance by utilization in a way that sounded like they were completely aware of what they were doing. Meanwhile there were transparent and unresolved conflicts that lasted for ages. No matter how you slice it, there's not much sense to be made and you cannot offer an explanation either. I suppose someone would call that a blind faith.

In response to the bolded.
I never claimed any player didn't prove themselves worthy of a team identified 'role', or of increased responsibilities. You may have inferred that, but that wasn't 'my' statement.
It appears that your understanding of Roster Composition is based on numbering the lines, and then preceding to deduce what the expectations of those that play on said lines are trying to accomplish. IMO, Joel Armia would've been able to achieve the same results expected of his skill-set, regardless of his line mates (they would be his line mates for a reason). Joel's matchup/assignment will always be about catering to his strengths/weaknesses within the team dynamics (he always played against a certain type of opponent). Joel had special team's assignments based on this same order of business. I hear Adam's line referred to as a third or fourth quite often, yet his deployment is based on entirely different criteria. I encourage you to believe what you will. Cheers.

Well if you make a statement that a player's utilization is dependant of practise as well as actual game time and use the reasoning to justify why a player is bind down to bottom you better be prepared to have some form of behind the screens knowledge of those practise sessions where the player failed to prove himself, either by not showing commitment or the ability. I have at least brought some statistics to support the arguments so if you feel like your viewpoint has more validity then why not try and make a case for it, instead of just ranting over assumptions and assignments?

He was a third or fourth line player - no matter if you look at the paper, actual average aTOI (12:36) or simply by looking at who were his most common line mates. This isn't rocket science and even if it was, this so called "numbering" wouldn't even make a difference. Third line players often have defensive roles and everyone knows that, I've even mentioned about this several times over the course of discussion. You don't seem to fully understand the dynamics of the the 17-18 Winnipeg Jets (even though I basically just went through the underlying reasons why Armia was assigned to play with Lowry for the majority of the season) or you're just circling around the topic. Nevermind overlooking the simple fact that he was never really presented a fair opportunity/window to show his ability with better skilled players than Adam Lowry.

The part where you put the blind folders on and have 100% trust in the coaching and management to be perfect is always the easiest way to go. However in this particular case you simply have nothing but assumptions in terms of player's ability, since like said, he was buried in the bottom lines and used accordingly - unlike Connor for instance who almost from day one was slotted into first line despite of better players being available. It's alright to believe he's no better than just bottom line grinder though, everyone are entitled to their opinions after all. Cheers.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
Well if you make a statement that a player's utilization is dependant of practise as well as actual game time and use the reasoning to justify why a player is bind down to bottom you better be prepared to have some form of behind the screens knowledge of those practise sessions where the player failed to prove himself, either by not showing commitment or the ability. I have at least brought some statistics to support the arguments so if you feel like your viewpoint has more validity then why not try and make a case for it, instead of just ranting over assumptions and assignments?

He was a third or fourth line player - no matter if you look at the paper, actual average aTOI (12:36) or simply by looking at who were his most common line mates. This isn't rocket science and even if it was, this so called "numbering" wouldn't even make a difference. Third line players often have defensive roles and everyone knows that, I've even mentioned about this several times over the course of discussion. You don't seem to fully understand the dynamics of the the 17-18 Winnipeg Jets (even though I basically just went through the underlying reasons why Armia was assigned to play with Lowry for the majority of the season) or you're just circling around the topic. Nevermind overlooking the simple fact that he was never really presented a fair opportunity/window to show his ability with better skilled players than Adam Lowry.

The part where you put the blind folders on and have 100% trust in the coaching and management to be perfect is always the easiest way to go. However in this particular case you simply have nothing but assumptions in terms of player's ability, since like said, he was buried in the bottom lines and used accordingly - unlike Connor for instance who almost from day one was slotted into first line despite of better players being available. It's alright to believe he's no better than just bottom line grinder though, everyone are entitled to their opinions after all. Cheers.

Regarding the last part of bolded diatribe; 100% trust, perfection, absolutes and guarantees, don't cut it in my world. Nobody is infallible, and therefore isn't held to that standard.

I didn't engage your unfounded statements to elicit verification that my point of view is more valid than yours. And ranting? Kelsier, I'm not that heavily invested in your musings, as to be upset.

The Winnipeg Jets invested 3+ years continuously evaluating & developing Joel Armia (evaluation is ongoing for all members of the Hockey Club). I believe the Organization has a firm understanding of Joel as an NHL player. I'll say it again, he's a very good player. The time came where a decision had to be made...and it was made. Joel Armia getting a better opportunity elsewhere (your assumption) shouldn't upset you. The Winnipeg Jets, IMO, have many options to strengthen the roster; in an attempt to reach the next level of success. I think we can agree that Joel isn't part of that plan. No need to accuse the organization of stifling his career. Though as far as opinions go, it's yours to have. Time will tell.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Regarding the last part of bolded diatribe; 100% trust, perfection, absolutes and guarantees, don't cut it in my world. Nobody is infallible, and therefore isn't held to that standard.

I didn't engage your unfounded statements to elicit verification that my point of view is more valid than yours. And ranting? Kelsier, I'm not that heavily invested in your musings, as to be upset.

The Winnipeg Jets invested 3+ years continuously evaluating & developing Joel Armia (evaluation is ongoing for all members of the Hockey Club). I believe the Organization has a firm understanding of Joel as an NHL player. I'll say it again, he's a very good player. The time came where a decision had to be made...and it was made. Joel Armia getting a better opportunity elsewhere (your assumption) shouldn't upset you. The Winnipeg Jets, IMO, have many options to strengthen the roster; in an attempt to reach the next level of success. I think we can agree that Joel isn't part of that plan. No need to accuse the organization of stifling his career. Though as far as opinions go, it's yours to have. Time will tell.

That certainly sounds strange because basically everything I've gathered from these talks indicate that your faith in the organization isn't shaken and you've pretty openly talked about how they are aware of what they are doing, which should somehow explain everything - including the case of Armia. However in order to explain his utilization, you would also have to be able to understand the utilization of the other players since consequently what happened with the upper tier players directly affected the assignment and roles of players lower down in the food-chain, including Joel. Basically the entire team dynamics.

The intention was never to provoke you but rather to see if you had anything concrete on the table besides the assumptions.

Why would I be upset about Armia getting better showcase elsewhere? What I originally criticized was the way his move was handled. As opposed of receiving something or even anything meaningful back, instead the team not only gave up his rights but other pieces/future prospects along with him, and the return? An AHL player. You said it yourself, he isn't a bad player at all and the team had years worth of time to develop and assess his value. Yet they were unable to do better than what you can see from the very topic. Anyway, I'm happy for Armia getting a second chance and soon the freedom to dictate his next destination. Be that the Habs or some other organization entirely. Considering that the man is only 25 years old, I don't think there's any damage done career-wise, nor did I claim anything of the kind. Was he the right head on the chopping block? Did he want out? We may not ever have the answer for the latter but at least we can at least agree that the time will determine his actual value.

As for the topic and some posts here in general I just find it strange reading comments like "The Sabres fans were right about him" or that he wasn't a loss or whatever, as opposed to at least giving the guy some appreciation for sticking around without making a deal about the usage if whatnot.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Back from vacation in a place with crappy internet so I’m even crankier than ever, Armia was one of those guys that was more hyped and overrated than he actually was,

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
##############according news ACCORDING NEWS. ###############

reports having been a saying AT MONTREAL camp some hotshot team leaders of sort saying ARMIA was at nr 1 at their paper in players which they want to having. if not mistaking a HUGE MONEMUMTAL ROLE for him to be a given.

1st , or 2nd line. now amount of playing times will a risen and that teams best players with him to be tandemd. he will be a feel wanted, he will a feel be given mucho icetimes and trust. not only by defens. maybe they only primarly use him for offense.

at Winnipegs there no trust or icetimes for him was. i say he Always wanted from here. he no big effort here putted for getting puck to NETS. he didnt have to. he played here for getting elsewhere as it goed. must have been really hard times at here.

1st round pick that was not given role and icetimes he deserved. a unique big strong talanted player that showes unseen skill and atletics at this level. by looking at his movements at ice one saying wow this A REAL PLAYER.

SHAME WINNIPEG SHAME.

AT BIG SCREEN FROM THIS AUTUMN. THE MONSTER . THE ARMIA

STAY IN TUNED!

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Reactions: robertocarlos

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

reports having been a saying AT MONTREAL camp some hotshot team leaders of sort saying ARMIA was at nr 1 at their paper in players which they want to having. if not mistaking a HUGE MONEMUMTAL ROLE for him to be a given.

1st , or 2nd line. now amount of playing times will a risen and that teams best players with him to be tandemd. he will be a feel wanted, he will a feel be given mucho icetimes and trust. not only by defens. maybe they only primarly use him for offense.

at Winnipegs there no trust or icetimes for him was. i say he Always wanted from here. he no big effort here putted for getting puck to NETS. he didnt have to. he played here for getting elsewhere as it goed. must have been really hard times at here.

1st round pick that was not given role and icetimes he deserved. a unique big strong talanted player that showes unseen skill and atletics at this level. by looking at his movements at ice one saying wow this A REAL PLAYER.

SHAME WINNIPEG SHAME.

STAY IN TUNED!

I wish Armia all the best but...

Have Fun Habs fans...

Thank God for Chevy...
1297746425780_ORIGINAL.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

SHAME WINNIPEG SHAME.

STAY IN TUNED!

Settle down
2 teams have found him “expendable”
He played well every 6.321 games
Not good enough professor

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Unfortunately, Armia has a shot that wouldn't knock a butterfly off course. If he is playing on the Habs first or second line, they are in even more trouble than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad