Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good stuff. Zito is a decent hire but there are at least 5 guys I’d pick before him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
1. Shero
2. Hextall
3. Futa
4. Gillis

Something like that. I think that’s my current order of preference. Leaving off guys like Lombardi because he doesn’t seem to be in the mix. Leaving off stupid candidates like Chiarelli and Olczyk.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Damn. I am disappointed.

Oh well, need to remember my mantra for my GM philosophy; is not Chiarelli, will fire Tocchet, is not Chiarelli, will fire Tocchet, is not Chiarelli, will fire Tocchet, is not Chiarelli, will fire Tocchet, is not Chiarelli, will fire Tocchet, is not Chiarelli

Reactions: Kaizen and che

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Shero
2. Hextall
3. Futa
4. Gillis

Something like that. I think that’s my current order of preference. Leaving off guys like Lombardi because he doesn’t seem to be in the mix. Leaving off stupid candidates like Chiarelli and Olczyk.
Olczyk?!?!? WTF?!? Where did that come from?!?!?

rt

May 13, 2004
If hiring Sullivan meant we could fire Tocchet and hire Van Ryn, I’d do it. It just doesn’t seem realistic. Not after the physics testing scandal. These owners are going to want experience they can count on.

So I’m hoping for Hextall. Even if he doesn’t fire Tocchet right away, he’s smart enough to see it’s not working and make a change before it’s too late. I don’t think he’d extend Tocchet sight unseen.

If hiring Hextall means Sullivan quits, so be it. If hiring Hextall means we don’t fire Tocchet right away, so be it.

Hell, if Hextall gets the green light to rebuild, Tocchet might just quit. That’s ideal.

That’s my new ideal scenario. Meruelo goes for the elder statesmen in Hextall. The trusted name. And then Hextall proceeds to start dismantling the veteran leadership core and acquire picks and prospects. Then Tocchet has a tantrum and leaves.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hextall is probably the most expensive option out there. I can see Meruelo balking at that stage and going with Sullivan.

Shame, because he'd flamethrower this turd of an organization with glee. He has the ideal track record and temperament, plus OBC cred.

I think Sullivan is bright and I'd hate to lose him. If he left and Tocchet survived I'd be miffed regardless of GM.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I’m not mad at Tocchet. I thought it was smart to hire him and give him a chance. He had a lot of success in Pittsburgh and a good reputation. I think Tocchet is doing the best he can. It’s just not good enough. I’m not bitter about it. I wish him the best. I just want him gone from here. That’s all.

It's funny because people thought that we would change from a defensive style of hockey to up-tempo, play fast. Turns out, we just played more of the same - decent enough defense but neutered offense, even compared to Tippett.

Turns out defense is okay to teach, but we only have 100 feet of coaching on defensive play. Get all 200 feet working cohesive, and it is a different story. I was skeptical, didn't like it. The awful start was overcome by playing with no weight on our shoulders. We should have seen that as the direction it was going to go, as opposed to seeing all of the hope increase little by little each year, only to be stopped by our own poor coaching and system.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hextall is probably the most expensive option out there. I can see Meruelo balking at that stage and going with Sullivan.

Shame, because he'd flamethrower this turd of an organization with glee. He has the ideal track record and temperament, plus OBC cred.

I think Sullivan is bright and I'd hate to lose him. If he left and Tocchet survived I'd be miffed regardless of GM.
I think Shero’s Cup places him in a higher category of salary. I’d guess higher end of the middle 1/3rd for Hextall among GMs.

Sullivan is cheap until you start to worry about what inexperience has already cost you. After going through what he went through with Chayka, I could see Meruelo’s top criteria being “proven”.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is like a nightmare.

Even if he's a token gesture, he's probably going to spend half the zoom call mindlessly praising Tocchet. That can't be good for anyone to hear.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

upload_2020-9-1_17-36-42.jpeg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Shero’s Cup places him in a higher category of salary. I’d guess higher end of the middle 1/3rd for Hextall among GMs.

Shero hasn't put himself out there for either job from what I've seen. He's probably holding out for something better.

Since they'll need a new head scout anyways, can we just pick up Hextall+Futa and keep Sullivan? Can we have nice things for once?

rt

May 13, 2004
Hextall takes Chayka’s job.
Futa takes Hofford’s job.
Sullivan goes back to his old job.
Goldberg just goes.

Yeah, that would be a miracle. I can’t even hope for that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Futa is out of work and keeps getting passed over. He needs to take a job somewhere. May as well be under Hextall, rebuilding an entire scouting department. And if you're going to accumulate picks, he's your guy to use them with.

Sullivan could stay a year for transition, then can go wherever. Futa could pick up his duties or keep interviewing for jobs.

Main thing is to be rid of Hofford and Goldberg.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I just really think that with the scandal there’s no chance we roll with Sullivan. I’d honestly be a little surprised if he’s even still the AGM next year. I’m on the Hextall train as well cause I don’t think we see Tocc for more than a year if he’s hired

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad