Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Weird thing is that, being non hockey people, Meruelo and Gutierrez are probably taking examples from other leagues and the 49ers just made the super bowl after hiring former broadcaster/player John Lynch. I’d think that’s leaving their minds open to the idea

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
After watching a couple clips of Hextall, there is no way any of the clown candidates should out-interview him. The job should be his to lose.

Reactions: KG and Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I will never add Pierre McGuire to any list other than "People I Can't Stand to Listen To."

Taylor Hall, son of Mary and Hank Hall of Calgary, who played his minor hockey with the Okotoks Oysters. Loves Mac and Cheese!

If we take McGuire off of TV we should get a handful of free first rounders for savings the ears of hockey fans across the country.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I said it in Craig’s comments, but this GM search is starting to feel like the NHL’s equivalent of the has been celebrity reality show “The Surreal Life”.
Anyone remember that? They packed a bunch of former D-list celebrities with substance abuse and behavioral issues into a house rigged up like a movie set, filled it with free booze, and turned them on eachother while filming?

It was the most depressing, cynical, crass, and disgusting thing going for a while. Easily 10 years ahead of its time. Truly an unparalleled low point in its era.

Chiarelli, Olczyk, McGuire, and Weekes? We are seriously one Mike Milbury or one Don Cherry away from the NHL’s “Surreal Life - Arizona Edition”.

This is like a bad joke. A nightmare.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I said it in Craig’s comments, but this GM search is starting to feel like the NHL’s equivalent of the has been celebrity reality show “The Surreal Life”.
Anyone remember that? They packed a bunch of former D-list celebrities with substance abuse and behavioral issues into a house rigged up like a movie set, filled it with free booze, and turned them on eachother while filming?

It was the most depressing, cynical, crass, and disgusting thing going for a while. Easily 10 years ahead of its time. Truly an unparalleled low point in its era.

Chiarelli, Olczyk, McGuire, and Weekes? We are seriously one Mike Milbury or one Don Cherry away from the NHL’s “Surreal Life - Arizona Edition”.

This is like a bad joke. A nightmare.

I wouldn’t look too much into it, they are relying on the NHL for guidance here and the NHL probably knew of candidates looking for a general manager position and so they tossed out all names to the organization. The article also goes on and says that they are planning on interviewing experienced players like Hextall, Zito (no longer valid) Burke, and an array of other candidates.

rt

May 13, 2004
I wouldn’t look too much into it, they are relying on the NHL for guidance here and the NHL probably knew of candidates looking for a general manager position and so they tossed out all names to the organization. The article also goes on and says that they are planning on interviewing experienced players like Hextall, Zito (no longer valid) Burke, and an array of other candidates.
If they don’t hire Hextall, get ready for my tantrum. Full toddler meltdown. I’ve got two kids under six years of age. I have the experience needed to make it epic.

RABBIT

If they don’t hire Hextall, get ready for my tantrum. Full toddler meltdown.

lol, I hear you brother. Hextall is my number one as well, but you never know if Hextall is just taking this interview to show other teams looking to fill a need that he’s out there and available. He could be offered the job and simply decline it just because he knows his name is circulating in the available candidates. We have to prepare for everything. Hextall and Shero are essentially the most qualified candidates right now, so they probably know that they can use that to their advantage and ask for a significant dollar amount.

I don’t see Kevin Weekes, Pierre McGuire, or Eddie O as serious contenders. Again, the NHL probably knew that they have interest in a GM position and so they threw the names our way. It almost makes me happy that the team is seemingly doing their due diligence rather than bringing in a couple candidates and rushing to make a decision.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

RABBIT

I also imagine that Eddie O and Weekes are a great interview. Gives you a decent groundwork for what to expect as an interviewer

Pierre McGuire and Eddie O probably have some of the most secure jobs in the NHL right now with TV, I don’t even know why they would think about leaving for a job that is notorious for turnover. Weekes I could see being interested because his role on TV isn’t as big as the others, but he’s sitting pretty as well.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Pierre McGuire and Eddie O probably have some of the most secure jobs in the NHL right now with TV, I don’t even know why they would think about leaving for a job that is notorious for turnover. Weekes I could see being interested because his role on TV isn’t as big as the others, but he’s sitting pretty as well.

McGuire is also coming back from a cancer battle, I listen regularly to his daily radio chats with TSN Ottawa (he sounds a lot less of a jerk than his TV version) and I never got the sense that he was still targeting a GM position.

Looking at the vast list of alleged candidates, maybe the Coyotes ownership is just using this interview period to pick the brains of various hockey people, it is easy as done remotely. Good way of getting some insights.

RABBIT

McGuire is also coming back from a cancer battle, I listen regularly to his daily radio chats with TSN Ottawa (he sounds a lot less of a jerk than his TV version) and I never got the sense that he was still targeting a GM position.

Looking at the vast list of alleged candidates, maybe the Coyotes ownership is just using this interview period to pick the brains of various hockey people, it is easy as done remotely. Good way of getting some insights.

Not a fun factoid, but a fact nonetheless, Eddie O is coming back from cancer too. I like your input on them picking the brains of known hockey analysts, could be a vet move by the organization.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Pierre McGuire gushing over Tocchet as the final game of the Avs series came to a close, stating he’s a great coach and none of this was his fault, is just about all any of us need to know about him.
I saw that. It could be Pierre thinking RT is close to the owner, so will then endorse Pierre and help him get the job.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I wonder if Sullivan had a different vision than JC and disagreed with some of his moves. Maybe Sullivan disagreed with RT as well on some roster moves, TOI, if reports are correct and they don't see eye to eye. Part of me thinks they should pay up for an experienced and proven GM like Hextall. But part of me wonders if Sullivan isn't saying "I told you so" to the new owners if he disagreed with RT/Chayka on some moves that back fired or didn't bear fruit.

If Sullivan was inline with Chayka the entire way, then we don't want him as GM. If he disagreed and had another direction planned, then we might want him. He has done a nice job in Tucson.

So to me:

1. RT needs to be gone regardless
2. Hextall is likely my first choice
3. Sullivan GM/Shane Doan AGM, let him learn and add input without having final say.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just don't see why you would fast-track Doan so aggressively as to make him AGM this quickly? Why not make him a development coach for a year, then if he does well, he can be development director for a year or two. If he runs that department well enough, maybe you let him run Tucson for a couple of years. If he crushes it, then maybe he's groomed for the NHL GM job.

Even then, I'm not sure we should put the patron saint of arizona hockey in a such a controversial position. GMs inevitably fall out of favor, hurt the team, and get fired for it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just don't see why you would fast-track Doan so aggressively as to make him AGM this quickly? Why not make him a development coach for a year, then if he does well, he can be development director for a year or two. If he runs that department well enough, maybe you let him run Tucson for a couple of years. If he crushes it, then maybe he's groomed for the NHL GM job.

Even then, I'm not sure we should put the patron saint of arizona hockey in a such a controversial position. GMs inevitably fall out of favor, hurt the team, and get fired for it.

I think making the guy wait five years minimum before being eligible for consideration is a bit excessive; but the thing we haven't considered yet is whether Doan even wants to be a GM. He's already part owner of the Kamloops Blazers and he's got a gig doing work for the league. Maybe he's not interested in running any teams - it might take away from his horse-riding time.

I'd make him some sort of consultant to the owner, personally. Get him involved in the franchise but do it at a high level, the way he acted for Bettman during the bankruptcy and work stoppage. Let someone else try to untangle the hockey ops mess.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ha! Viva Cronyism! It's a Coyotes tradition!

A graduate student only has to study for four years before becoming a medical resident. Hockey business is not nearly that complicated, especially for a guy who has lived and breathed the game for longer than a lot of people who post here have been walking the planet.

Reactions: KG and Surfshop

rt

May 13, 2004
A graduate student only has to study for four years before becoming a medical resident. Hockey business is not nearly that complicated, especially for a guy who has lived and breathed the game for longer than a lot of people who post here have been walking the planet.
You should have to do one thing well before you get to do the next thing. This is common sense and I know you agree with it when you're being objective.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I think from an image perspective it looks better to have Doan involved from an Arizona fan perspective, building a new arena, and for players thinking about signing here. Doan has a lot of respect and trust around the NHL amongst players. For what he means to the city, team and NHL, he deserves a decent title to start, I think AGM is fine.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You should have to do one thing well before you get to do the next thing. This is common sense and I know you agree with it when you're being objective.

Common sense would dictate that Doan is already doing several things well, considering his influence with the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad