Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We need an experienced GM and an experienced head coach. For the GM, we need somebody that has tasted some success as a GM even if fired for some failures. Having the success, then being fired, puts you in a position where you can learn from your mistakes but also know what it takes to put a good team together. The same goes for a coach. We need a coach who has had success as a head coach at the NHL level, even though they all get fired eventually.

With Chayka and RT we had neither. We had an inexperienced GM, never done it before, and a head coach that had never won at that level as a head coach. That combination is the primary reason the rebuild has failed, lack of experience. Muerello is an experienced operator, hope he can see through all of this and make the right changes, get us an experienced, proven, GM and coach.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lack of experience should absolutely be a disqualifier.

Additionally, I don’t think Doan has the temperament. I don’t think he will ever be a good GM. He’ll never fire or trade anyone and he’ll overpay everyone.
Today Doan does not qualify for a GM's position, but if he ever does become a GM his loyalty will be different than that of a player. He was a very passionate captain and player who would go thru the wall for any player.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Florida board seems to think Armstrong (Blues AGM) is getting a second interview as well.

Fine by me, I don’t want him.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don’t think Doan has the temperament

Doan played the game with more piss and vinegar than anyone in the current lineup. He comes across as a nice guy, but I don't think he would be a pushover as GM. That said if he's interested in front office work an AGM position would be a good way to get his foot in the door.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doan played the game with more piss and vinegar than anyone in the current lineup. He comes across as a nice guy, but I don't think he would be a pushover as GM. That said if he's interested in front office work an AGM position would be a good way to get his foot in the door.
He comes across as extraordinarily loyal, positive, and Pollyanna. The qualities that make a great captain are not necessarily the qualities that make a great GM. Many of the best GMs are lawyers. They went to law school and became attorneys. I would argue that a really good player-agent is more more qualified to be a GM than a really good captain.

rt

May 13, 2004
Florida board seems to think Armstrong (Blues AGM) is getting a second interview as well.

Fine by me, I don’t want him.
Well, all of these guys are certainly going to have a lot of practice and really have honed their pitches by the time we get them. Haha. Will make it tough. Might put Sullivan a little more in jeopardy, too. All the guys Florida doesn't pick are going to come in pretty sharp and pretty motivated.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He comes across as extraordinarily loyal, positive, and Pollyanna. The qualities that make a great captain are not necessarily the qualities that make a great GM. Many of the best GMs are lawyers. They went to law school and became attorneys. I would argue that a really good player-agent is more more qualified to be a GM than a really good captain.

I think you're dwelling too much on a couple of stories from over half a decade ago, when Doan was unhappy with a couple of trades because the players involved were his friends. I mean, we all remember that pretty clearly, but I think that radically oversimplifies the guy to say he'd approach every life moment the same way. Why don't we also talk about when Doan went to talk personally with Bettman and sold him and the BoG on fighting to keep the Coyotes where they are instead of relocating them? He'd have to have some sort of ability to negotiate to pull that off - especially knowing now (in the context of our recent sanctions) how many of the BoG would gladly see the Mutts euthanized.

I don't for a second want Doaner as our GM because we need someone with experience, and while I'm sure he will eventually make a great GM if he wants to be one, I don't want him learning on the job here. But I think when the time comes he'd be extremely capable at it.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think you're dwelling too much on a couple of stories from over half a decade ago, when Doan was unhappy with a couple of trades because the players involved were his friends. I mean, we all remember that pretty clearly, but I think that radically oversimplifies the guy to say he'd approach every life moment the same way. Why don't we also talk about when Doan went to talk personally with Bettman and sold him and the BoG on fighting to keep the Coyotes where they are instead of relocating them? He'd have to have some sort of ability to negotiate to pull that off - especially knowing now (in the context of our recent sanctions) how many of the BoG would gladly see the Mutts euthanized.

I don't for a second want Doaner as our GM because we need someone with experience, and while I'm sure he will eventually make a great GM if he wants to be one, I don't want him learning on the job here. But I think when the time comes he'd be extremely capable at it.
I'm not attacking Shane Doan. He's above reproach.

At the very least, he needs to spend a year or two working in the development department, then a year or two running the development department, then a year or two managing Tucson. Assuming he has success at each stop that justifies promotion to the next level, he'll be ready to be considered for an NHL GM gig in 3-6 (realistically 4-5) years at that point.

Steve Sullivan did it. His advancement was fast-tracked due to this team being desperate and without resources. Shane Doan can be equally fast-tracked because he's a legend. But if he can't at least match Steve Sullivan's performance in these roles, he should never be considered for the GM position.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well, all of these guys are certainly going to have a lot of practice and really have honed their pitches by the time we get them. Haha. Will make it tough. Might put Sullivan a little more in jeopardy, too. All the guys Florida doesn't pick are going to come in pretty sharp and pretty motivated.
The pitch to us needs to be unique to the God awful situation we find ourselves in, chock full of just how the hell they would work through it. It would be foolish to pitch us same as Florida.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
...and maybe a bit more desperate and cheaper?

rt

May 13, 2004
The pitch to us needs to be unique to the God awful situation we find ourselves in, chock full of just how the hell they would work through it. It would be foolish to pitch us same as Florida.
Florida is also looking to cut salary drastically, keep the young core, and rebuild the vets on the fly. We're in similar situations, ours is just much, much worse.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Y'all keep forgetting Doan has spent the last two years working for the NHL in various capacities.

Y'all keep forgetting he played a big part of getting the last work stoppage resolved.

I'm not keen on him filling a GM spot either but to pigeon hole Doan as some greenhorn in the front office is a bad presumption.

rt

May 13, 2004
Y'all keep forgetting Doan has spent the last two years working for the NHL in various capacities.

Y'all keep forgetting he played a big part of getting the last work stoppage resolved.

I'm not keen on him filling a GM spot either but to pigeon hole Doan as some greenhorn in the front office is a bad presumption.
I'd love some specifics on this. Prove to me that it's not very minor, token, make work stuff because he's a good guy. Show me specifics that he's doing important work and was legitimately an important player in these situations. I have serious doubts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

All of those things were administrative. They had nothing to do with player evaluation or managing a cap or making trades etc... Sullivan put in the work and has something to show for it. Doan hasn't. He is 100% a greenhorn. It would be different if he spent time as part of the staff of a particular team all these years and was soaking up the GM process.

Doan would make a great VP, provided he doesn't have undue say in hockey decisions.

Reactions: _Del_

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
All of those things were administrative. They had nothing to do with player evaluation or managing a cap or making trades etc... Sullivan put in the work and has something to show for it. Doan hasn't. He is 100% a greenhorn. It would be different if he spent time as part of the staff of a particular team all these years and was soaking up the GM process.

Doan would make a great VP, provided he doesn't have undue say in hockey decisions.

In the last line of my post you conveniently left off..... I stated I didn't see him in a GM role.

However..... making sure your scouting department are fully informed of league policies is an administrative function.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Florida is also looking to cut salary drastically, keep the young core, and rebuild the vets on the fly. We're in similar situations, ours is just much, much worse.
I'm a guess w/o looking that they they have some early pics, I know they didn't have any taken away.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
In the last line of my post you conveniently left off..... I stated I didn't see him in a GM role.

However..... making sure your scouting department are fully informed of league policies is an administrative function.

"A hit, a very palpable hit."

rt

May 13, 2004
Jonathan Davis from the two man advantage was just on Sirius NHL Network stating that Sullivan and RT have a strained relationship and that one of the two will be gone. I now want Sullivan as GM :laugh:
Is there a way to listen to this? Does it come out as a podcast afterwards or anything like that?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jonathan Davis from the two man advantage was just on Sirius NHL Network stating that Sullivan and RT have a strained relationship and that one of the two will be gone. I now want Sullivan as GM :laugh:

I don't like this given that it implies Tocchet still has a chance of staying.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2