Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Jacques Martin hired by NYR.

I had him on my list as a potential Housley replacement (if he’s let go).

Who’s a good candidate to replace MacLean? If Tocchet stays then it should be someone who can help him and potentially replace him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Drury on our list? I heard he pulled himself from the Florida job.

Also heard Futa likes the Florida job better than this one.
Not sure. We keep getting pumped into the Florida search as an afterthought by the nation guys.

That’s an interesting note about Futa. Not sure why Florida is more appealing? Seems like basically the same team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tocchet needs a Barry Smith level assistant to manage his stupidity. I don't think it's in the cards. I'm sure the coaching community noticed him throwing Allen under the bus.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Dang. I hope he doesn’t. I’ve said some pretty snide things. I actually like Craig a lot. He’s not perfect and I have my frustrations, but he’s probably the best we’ve had over the years, I guess.
Craig knows the game, but the reasons you call him out for are spot on - nothing wrong with that.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
How long does a team normally take to fill its general manager's position in the off-season?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s an interesting note about Futa. Not sure why Florida is more appealing? Seems like basically the same team.

If I had to guess, Florida has the superior roster on a paper. They have at least one inarguable star in Barkov. And for a draft guy like Futa, they actually have picks.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, that’s just the names he’s heard multiple times from chatting with folks around the league. Not from the team.

Confirmed..... more than just a few NHL execs have told him they're puzzled why Doaner hasn't been brought back into the franchise in some capacity.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Florida has been “officially” searching for 3 weeks.

Florida didn't have a testing scandal to deal with either.

Nor did they have a GM walk out on them without warning. FAWK they might have already had replacing Tallon in mind well before the bubbles.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Florida didn't have a testing scandal to deal with either.

Nor did they have a GM walk out on them without warning. FAWK they might have already had replacing Tallon in mind well before the bubbles.
The quote the gets me is “I’d assume they’ll want someone in place by the draft.”. Lol, you think?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Happy that's just a fan wishlist and not the finalists.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
hmmm 3 way tie between Hextall, Hunter, and Shero for me. I realllllllly like the Hunters. Burke may not be bad, I would hope any of these guys bring in Doan at some capacity.
It’s maybe my OHL bias - but the Hunters would get my vote.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not much interest in Mark Hunter if he doesn't come packaged with Dale as coach.

If that were to happen, I'd make it a point to start acquiring ex-Knights, Max Domi included.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’d be quite pleased with Ron Hextall. His AHL and NHL management track-record is extremely solid from a slow but steady improvement by the building of solid foundation approach. Basically what we’ve lacked for 25 years and why we’ve never been very good or even just pretty good in a sustainable way.

Hextall has actually proved it. He’s actually done the things we need done. That’s why I like him so much better than not only Burke or Doan but also better than Futa or Drury or Mellanby, etc.

I like Hextall quite a bit. If Shero is in the mix, the decision is more difficult for me. Who's your pick between those two? I go Shero because he has no past connection to Tocchet.

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Hextall quite a bit. If Shero is in the mix, the decision is more difficult for me. Who's your pick between those two? I go Shero because he has no past connection to Tocchet.
Not sure Hextall and Tocchet have anything between them? Tocchet seems to be everyone’s buddy. Hextall appears to have a reputation as a bit of prick. Maybe they don’t like eachother?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe, but they played 6 seasons together in Philly.

Hextall fired Berube. Might not be an issue.

More concerned with the reports he doesn't listen to or care for the opinions around him at times.

Hextall said he took a three-stage approach toward trying to build a contender: Clean up the salary-cap mess left behind by Holmgren, his predecessor; watch prospects grow as a team; make a big splash through free agency or a trade when the Flyers were close to "go time."

"I didn't feel we were at go-time," Hextall said.

The Flyers had two first-round playoff exits in Hextall's tenure, and they show no sign this season of winning the franchise's first Stanley Cup since the back-to-back titles in 1974-75.

"I certainly expected to take a step this year," Hextall said. "There's a few more growing pains with our young players than I expected."

Hextall was criticized for refusing to listen to scouts and advisers and had been accused of cutting off alumni access to the team. Hextall, a star goalie and one of the franchise's more popular players, had wanted his own process on his terms.

Former Flyers GM Hextall 'stunned' by firing

Flyers' anonymous complaints reveal Ron Hextall never had a chance | Marcus Hayes

Last edited:
Reactions: DOTS13

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Hextall fired Berube. Might not be an issue.

More concerned with the reports he doesn't listen to or care for the opinions around him at times.

Former Flyers GM Hextall 'stunned' by firing

Flyers' anonymous complaints reveal Ron Hextall never had a chance | Marcus Hayes
I didn't realize Holmgren went up to President when Hextall replaced him. That sounds kind of like the awkwardness of Tippett serving as President over Chayka. I doubt he'd run into an issue like he did with the Flyers with their alumni here though, mostly because the Coyotes need the alumni to help market the team because the Coyotes are not the Flyers and do not have a strong foothold in their market already. I'm sure he's learned from it regardless.

The second article goes into why he didn't care for some of the opinions, mind you, it's very positively in Hextall's camp. The indication is that he was hired with full autonomy to replace the other members of management who had screwed up the team up until that point, so why would he consult with them. That sounds to me more like Holmgren made it personal and could get away with that after Ed Snider had passed away.

As for the rest, it sounds like he would be good to hire to oversee a rebuild.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Doan does not have the front office experience, but I think the most important attribute for a GM is to have the right vision of what it takes to win. The type of player mix that is needed. The ability to identify talent years before becoming NHL ready.

I think most of us would agree GMJC's vision didn't work. Although Doan's player experience didn't see any championships and limited playoff series wins, I would trust his opinion on what types of players the Coyotes need to add to get us on the right track.

He's not necessarily my pick, just making the point that lack of experience should not be a disqualifier.

rt

May 13, 2004
Doan does not have the front office experience, but I think the most important attribute for a GM is to have the right vision of what it takes to win. The type of player mix that is needed. The ability to identify talent years before becoming NHL ready.

I think most of us would agree GMJC's vision didn't work. Although Doan's player experience didn't see any championships and limited playoff series wins, I would trust his opinion on what types of players the Coyotes need to add to get us on the right track.

He's not necessarily my pick, just making the point that lack of experience should not be a disqualifier.
Lack of experience should absolutely be a disqualifier.

Additionally, I don’t think Doan has the temperament. I don’t think he will ever be a good GM. He’ll never fire or trade anyone and he’ll overpay everyone.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3