Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So Sullivan has the correct read on Tocchet. We know that. If they don't get along personally then it's probably a safe bet they don't see eye to eye on hockey.

But ownership doesn't want to give the keys to Sullivan, for whatever reason. Is the reason that they want to keep Tocchet? Do they just want to see what other candidates would do? Is keeping Tocchet a condition of taking the job?

Remember Tocchet's bizarre "change of direction" rant? His threat to quit? It makes a lot of sense now that we know Sullivan wants to go in the right direction. Pick accumulation mode.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I found the guy’s twitter account. It was the power play show. Hopefully we find a way to get the info.
They do replay the shows, but you would need a subscription, of course. Chances are it's out there on the interwebs somewhere though.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
So Sullivan has the correct read on Tocchet. We know that. If they don't get along personally then it's probably a safe bet they don't see eye to eye on hockey.

But ownership doesn't want to give the keys to Sullivan, for whatever reason. Is the reason that they want to keep Tocchet? Do they just want to see what other candidates would do? Is keeping Tocchet a condition of taking the job?

Remember Tocchet's bizarre "change of direction" rant? His threat to quit? It makes a lot of sense now that we know Sullivan wants to go in the right direction. Pick accumulation mode.

I can't recall exactly where I read that whole change of direction/implication he wouldn't be down to be part of a rebuild, BUT...

It's absolutely hilarious coming from him. Comes off like "I won't have my stellar coaching win % be tarnished or play uncompetitively".

Except for the fact his win % is crap and his coaching has his team play a soft, smooth-brained style.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
An appropriate attitude for someone like Q to have in Florida, because he has earned it.

Rick Tocchet can get f***ed if he thinks he's that special.

All the talking heads blowing smoke up his ass probably makes him think he is in the upper tier of coaching. Hope that assistant spot in Pittsburgh stays open because that may look tempting if the walls start coming down on this team.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
All the talking heads blowing smoke up his ass probably makes him think he is in the upper tier of coaching. Hope that assistant spot in Pittsburgh stays open because that may look tempting if the walls start coming down on this team.

I hope it doesn't stay open when the walls start coming down. f*** that guy.

edit: Needless to say I am hoping / thinking the walls come down on Rich Tocchet also

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sullivan was the one who came out saying they had to find a way to add draft picks. And that was BEFORE the sanction was announced.

Perhaps all of Tocchet’s whining about needing “continuity” and hand wringing about “too much change” wasn’t only about saving his ass. Maybe he was challenging the idea of adding draft picks.

Maybe Sullivan believes the team needs to sell players for picks in order to actually build sustainable long-term success. Maybe this appeals to Meruelo who wants to cut payroll in the short-term anyhow. Maybe he likes the idea of a team ready to contend around the time a new arena might be coming.

Perhaps Sullivan sells Meruelo on a rebuild despite Tocchet saying otherwise. Perhaps Sullivan likely Willing to be the lowest paid GM in the NHL appeals to Meruelo. Perhaps Meruelo is cautious about outside GMs and has trust issues after Chayka and leans on Sullivan.

Maybe Sullivan doesn’t even have to fire Tocchet. Maybe he gets his interim tag removed, and sells off a few of Tocchet’s favorite pets, and Tocchet just up and quits. Bailing Meruelo out of having to pay him to sit at home.

Maybe Sullivan is them free to hire Van Ryn and rebuild this bad boy from top to bottom.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I’m not mad at Tocchet. I thought it was smart to hire him and give him a chance. He had a lot of success in Pittsburgh and a good reputation. I think Tocchet is doing the best he can. It’s just not good enough. I’m not bitter about it. I wish him the best. I just want him gone from here. That’s all.

Agreed, really loved him that first year when the team lost ten in a row or whatever. He said all the right things, didn't seem to be losing his temper. Team starts turning a corner that spring and all you hear about is how he has these great one on one meetings with players and motivates them to practice on small elements of their game. Season two comes around and it's deja vue, but half the roster was injured for large chunks of the season so it's hard to point any fingers. Year three the team comes flying out the gate, they overwhelm opponents with speed and defensive layers, looks like RT's system is finally clicking with a healthy roster and time. Then everything goes to shit with the most talented roster we've ever had. Play in round happens and there is another spark, real playoffs happen and we land face first back into the pile of shit RT created in Jan-March.

We know what an RT lead team looks like in the playoffs. I think we have seen the peak. Time to move on. It was fine while it lasted and probably helped transition some of the young guys to an extent and get them through the challenges of being a basement team.

Reactions: Mosby

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

perhaps Howler will be promoted to Steve Peters’ old job.

Bro, Howler was the mastermind behind the whole "Prospect testing scandal". Peters had video evidence to prove it and Howler had him removed. My point is... it goes deeper than Peter's job. He's aiming for the top. Next GM will probably just be a puppet for Howler to control. Scary stuff.

Never made a conspiracy theory before, hopefully that's good enough. Guess I'm just bored haha!

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Bro, Howler was the mastermind behind the whole "Prospect testing scandal". Peters had video evidence to prove it and Howler had him removed. My point is... it goes deeper than Peter's job. He's aiming for the top. Next GM will probably just be a puppet for Howler to control. Scary stuff.

Never made a conspiracy theory before, hopefully that's good enough. Guess I'm just bored haha!

Howler can drum people out.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sullivan was the one who came out saying they had to find a way to add draft picks. And that was BEFORE the sanction was announced.

Perhaps all of Tocchet’s whining about needing “continuity” and hand wringing about “too much change” wasn’t only about saving his ass. Maybe he was challenging the idea of adding draft picks.

Maybe Sullivan believes the team needs to sell players for picks in order to actually build sustainable long-term success. Maybe this appeals to Meruelo who wants to cut payroll in the short-term anyhow. Maybe he likes the idea of a team ready to contend around the time a new arena might be coming.

Perhaps Sullivan sells Meruelo on a rebuild despite Tocchet saying otherwise. Perhaps Sullivan likely Willing to be the lowest paid GM in the NHL appeals to Meruelo. Perhaps Meruelo is cautious about outside GMs and has trust issues after Chayka and leans on Sullivan.

Maybe Sullivan doesn’t even have to fire Tocchet. Maybe he gets his interim tag removed, and sells off a few of Tocchet’s favorite pets, and Tocchet just up and quits. Bailing Meruelo out of having to pay him to sit at home.

Maybe Sullivan is them free to hire Van Ryn and rebuild this bad boy from top to bottom.
If there is a time for a retool it is now. With all the contracts up in the next year, we have a chance to trade them at TTD for assets and bring in young and hungry players. We already lose three UFA's this year and more next year. It's a perfect time for a new GM and coach. It should be a very desirable job. The only problem is what Meruelo thinks of RT, and from what I have been hearing, he likes him, but at the same time he liked Chayka, so maybe that put a sour taste in his mouth with RT as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad