Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Futa is out of work and keeps getting passed over. He needs to take a job somewhere. May as well be under Hextall, rebuilding an entire scouting department. And if you're going to accumulate picks, he's your guy to use them with.

Sullivan could stay a year for transition, then can go wherever. Futa could pick up his duties or keep interviewing for jobs.

Main thing is to be rid of Hofford and Goldberg.
Futa and Hextall have been together forever. Always together.

I’d love this.

Hextall as GM/Pres
Futa as AGM/VP

Would be amazing.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So I’m hoping for Hextall. Even if he doesn’t fire Tocchet right away, he’s smart enough to see it’s not working and make a change before it’s too late.

This wasn't the case with Hextall and Hakstol.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s a matter of opinion.

1) Hextall hired him. Didn’t get stuck with him.

2) Hakstol won more than he lost. Easily a better coach.

No, but he was stubborn and unwilling to fire Hakstol. My concern is he could like Tocchet and want to keep him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That’s a matter of opinion.

1) Hextall hired him. Didn’t get stuck with him.

2) Hakstol won more than he lost. Easily a better coach.

I can't really fault Hextall for hiring one of the best college coaches ever to coach up a relatively youthful team. It just didn't work all that great.

rt

May 13, 2004
No, but he was stubborn and unwilling to fire Hakstol. My concern is he could like Tocchet and want to keep him.
If a Tocchet had Hakstol results, I’m not sure I’d be so hell bent on firing him. Not that Hakstol was great. I’d take him over Tocchet though.

rt

May 13, 2004
In tonight’s Natty Hatty, Craig was very sure that Chiarelli is NOT in the running AT ALL. Which is a relief. Eddie O is basically as bad, though. Weekes could be worse. There are other grenades out there.

I wish they would just give the keys to Hextall.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Based on the rumors of the rift between Sullivan and RT, I'm now firmly in mind to hand Sullivan the job. Quite frankly, I consider it indicative of a substantial break between Sullivan and JC in terms of vision as to how the team should be assembled and subsequently managed. I'm all for giving him a crack at the job, especially if the other most attractive alternatives are FotM AGM's from other teams. To add, I think it unlikely that a Shero or a Hextall want to come to Arizona. Mainly, I dont think AM wants to have to pay what they would cost...but also, I dont think the franchise is attractive to an established ex-GM-looking-for-a-new-gig due to it's rather comical lack of stability the last couple decades.

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Sullivan better than guys who had great amateur scouting careers and were rewarded with AGM titles. Thinking of Futa, Armstrong, and Al Murray. Certainly I like him more than completely moronic candidates like Eddie O, Chia Pet and Weekes.

All of this with the caveat that he actually wants Tocchet gone and didn’t have anything to do with the fitness testing scandal.

I’d prefer Hextall or Shero, though. So I guess my current list is:

1. Hextall
2. Shero
3. Sullivan

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Man. Look at the difference in media in Philadelphia versus Arizona:

These guys go for the f***ing throat. Relentlessly.

This is unintentionally hilarious because I'm imagining Chayka facing half as difficult questions and still struggling to answer. His answer on the Couturier question was bang on.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Based on the rumors of the rift between Sullivan and RT, I'm now firmly in mind to hand Sullivan the job. Quite frankly, I consider it indicative of a substantial break between Sullivan and JC in terms of vision as to how the team should be assembled and subsequently managed. I'm all for giving him a crack at the job, especially if the other most attractive alternatives are FotM AGM's from other teams. To add, I think it unlikely that a Shero or a Hextall want to come to Arizona. Mainly, I dont think AM wants to have to pay what they would cost...but also, I dont think the franchise is attractive to an established ex-GM-looking-for-a-new-gig due to it's rather comical lack of stability the last couple decades.

a little would you rather:

1. would you rather hire Sullivan for the sole fact that he will fire Tocchet this year, but have Sullivan as your GM for years to come?

2. or would you rather hire an experienced GM that may not fire Tocchet this year, but make Tocchet ride out his contract (expires after next season) and evaluate from there?

I’m taking option 2. I want RT gone, but he has one more season to show something and if he doesn’t, chances are he’s gone. I would rather have a Shero or a Hextall at the helm here for years to come because they’ve been here before.
Besides, there’s a chance the new GM comes in and fires Tocchet immediately.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
This is unintentionally hilarious because I'm imagining Chayka facing half as difficult questions and still struggling to answer. His answer on the Couturier question was bang on.

I’m envious of the general manager AND the hard hitting media. It would be nice to have people who ask difficult questions. I think Rick Morin is the only player that has asked a difficult question since being here, and it ended up exposing OEL’s frustration and accountability level (at least immediately after a blowout loss.)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Sullivan ends up being our GM, I hope it's because he "won" the job, not was given the job because of money. Meruelo is a very successful business man and he know the importance to have the "best" person possible as GM of this multi million dollar business. By saving a couple of million dollars now, could end up costing him tens of millions in as little as a couple of years. I do believe this could be a very attractive job because of Meruelo's ownership and the number of contracts expiring this and next year. A new GM could really turn this team around fast. We have some good pieces here.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man. Look at the difference in media in Philadelphia versus Arizona:

These guys go for the f***ing throat. Relentlessly.

Hextal was cool, calm, and collective, quite the difference than his playing days. That is the way I think Doan would approach the duties of a GM. Not saying Doan is ready, but when he is.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

1. would you rather hire Sullivan for the sole fact that he will fire Tocchet this year, but have Sullivan as your GM for years to come?

2. or would you rather hire an experienced GM that may not fire Tocchet this year, but make Tocchet ride out his contract (expires after next season) and evaluate from there?

I’m taking option 2. I want RT gone, but he has one more season to show something and if he doesn’t, chances are he’s gone. I would rather have a Shero or a Hextall at the helm here for years to come because they’ve been here before.
I don't care about RT at the moment. I want a good GM hired, and if he keeps RT for next year so be it because we are not a SC contender anyway. I would rather clean house, but like I said, for me the most important is a GM.

rt

May 13, 2004

Depends on who the GM is.

Would I take Sullivan and Van Ryn for game 1 or would I take Hextall and Tocchet for games 1-68, followed by Housley for games 69-82, and then some new coaching staff of Hextall’s choosing for 2021-2022?

The latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad