Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Wow. That's a time machine product. How many of us here actually opened UD3, SPx Finite, HoloGrFx, Ultimate Victory, etc.? Should be fun to see.
As long as they don’t want $125 USD a box it’ll br fun.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So sometime in the next couple months I plan to submit some cards for grading. I have to finish a house I am renovating first. I will grade all the obvious ones like the Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy etc. rookies (have basically all complete sets from 77 through 94 or 95). Wondering if I should grade all my older HOF players? While I don't have complete sets prior to 77, I do have quite a few going back to 1960. Howe, Beliveau, Richard, Hull, Plante etc. I almost feel I should at least grade all the HOF older ones. Also kind of feel I should grade all the Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy. My complete sets are in really good shape. May not be perfect but they were really well looked after and we tried to select the best of the best of our pulls back in the day.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow. That's a time machine product. How many of us here actually opened UD3, SPx Finite, HoloGrFx, Ultimate Victory, etc.? Should be fun to see.

I've opened all the above. I also collected the 05-06 Rookie Update set but I never got around to picking up the Crosby dual signed RC for like $1500 bucks. I did open the Ovechkin/Kovalchuck dual signed RC though.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Hey guys, quick question for those who may know. I’m thinking about bidding on a 1952-53 Gordie Howe card on ebay. Its been graded by KSA and was given a 4. My question is, is KSA a well known grading company and are they to be trusted? Im new to the vintage card market and am looking to add to my collection. My biggest concern isnt the grade, but if the card is actually authentic or not. Any advice will be appreciated so thanks in advance.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Hey guys, quick question for those who may know. I’m thinking about bidding on a 1952-53 Gordie Howe card on ebay. Its been graded by KSA and was given a 4. My question is, is KSA a well known grading company and are they to be trusted? Im new to the vintage card market and am looking to add to my collection. My biggest concern isnt the grade, but if the card is actually authentic or not. Any advice will be appreciated so thanks in advance.
As far as I understand, people generally don't have a problem with KSA as far as their service, but for resale and such, collectors tend to be pretty tight on BGS/PSA for their standard. But of course they're much pricier as a result.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
So sometime in the next couple months I plan to submit some cards for grading. I have to finish a house I am renovating first. I will grade all the obvious ones like the Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy etc. rookies (have basically all complete sets from 77 through 94 or 95). Wondering if I should grade all my older HOF players? While I don't have complete sets prior to 77, I do have quite a few going back to 1960. Howe, Beliveau, Richard, Hull, Plante etc. I almost feel I should at least grade all the HOF older ones. Also kind of feel I should grade all the Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy. My complete sets are in really good shape. May not be perfect but they were really well looked after and we tried to select the best of the best of our pulls back in the day.

Be prepare to wait for at least a year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I'd get all the key rookies and cards of HOF players graded, assuming they are in good condition. If the cards look like they'd only grade a 1-3, it might not be worth it. Post 1985 cards are probably not worth grading, unless they are key rookie cards in absolute mint condition. Only send to PSA for vintage cards, and the wait is about 1 year.

Personally, I think cards look so much better in graded slabs, so I'd do this even if you plan to keep the cards. The PSA and BVG slabs really allow you to see all angles of the cards that merely having them in top loaders and one touches doesn't. Plus knowing they are protected against minor falls, impacts, or even spills provides peace of mind.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'd get all the key rookies and cards of HOF players graded, assuming they are in good condition. If the cards look like they'd only grade a 1-3, it might not be worth it. Post 1985 cards are probably not worth grading, unless they are key rookie cards in absolute mint condition. Only send to PSA for vintage cards, and the wait is about 1 year.

Personally, I think cards look so much better in graded slabs, so I'd do this even if you plan to keep the cards. The PSA and BVG slabs really allow you to see all angles of the cards that merely having them in top loaders and one touches doesn't. Plus knowing they are protected against minor falls, impacts, or even spills provides peace of mind.

All of the complete set cards (77 - 94 or 95) are in very good condition. The older ones from the 60's are rougher. Some with corner rounding and such.

20201115-135426.jpg

20210223-231318.jpg
20210223-231422.jpg
20210223-231459.jpg
20210223-231824.jpg

20210223-232115.jpg
20210223-232210.jpg

a>

Last edited:

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Yeah I understand their delays. In no rush. They've been sitting in my/our collection for half a century. Not going anywhere nor am I likely even selling them.

I have been patiently waiting for a Beckett submission for my Gretzky. It was submitted in early May

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Can't really tell condition for those photos. But you definitely have some nice cards.

Yeah not sure why it didn't make them zoomable? As I said, the ones from 77 up are all in very good shape (Gretzky has poor centering and one corner that might be off a bit.....great edges though). The 60s ones have some corner rounding but no wrinkles or anything like that. A few Howes and others in there.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Thanks! Kills me that the North/South centering is off. Edges are sweet. I found centering way harder to get back then than good edges.
Yeah that is one sick card. Those old cards are great too, 1971-72 opc were my favourite cards when I was a kid, even though they came out 10 years before I collected some of them. The neighbors kid had a bunch and whenever I went there it was like I was looking through a Pharoah's Tomb, I was in awe, it was like a religious experience, I loved them cards so much.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah that is one sick card. Those old cards are great too, 1971-72 opc were my favourite cards when I was a kid, even though they came out 10 years before I collected some of them. The neighbors kid had a bunch and whenever I went there it was like I was looking through a Pharoah's Tomb, I was in awe, it was like a religious experience, I loved them cards so much.

The one I am missing and never had is the Orr rookie. Funny you mention ones that trigger memories. Saw one last night (forget which year) but a bunch of players had what looked like almost old Christmas tree tinsel behind them.

Biggest reason I say I don't know if I will ever sell any of them is it's my memories of many hours pouring through cards and packs with my father. Means more to me than money.

AT the same time, I would like to see how some of them grade.

Reactions: Mitts

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Can't really tell condition for those photos. But you definitely have some nice cards.

You might not have been able to tell in that first photo with the old Hab cards but those other ones are all the Vachon cake cards. Also have all the Kraft cards (were pencil drawings). All the Esso cards. Have all the 74-75 Loblaws stamp/strips. All the old NHL puffy stickers. Maybe the first 10 or so years of Panini sticker albums. Some of the old 60's Shirriff coins. My favourite though is my 1980-81 Pepsi Cola plaque with all the Canadian team players with their faces under the caps. My other two favourite items are my Maple Leaf Gardens chair (which I sit in for every playoff game) and the goalie stick I had Johnny Bower (my favourite player) personally autograph for me.

In going through some of my father's old stuff I found some neat things like he has every single official NHL schedule (they used to make little foldable brochures) going back to 1952. Some of the old Export A team calendars. Lots of interesting stuff.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As expected, E cards for UDS1 Just came out, and Laff' price dropping like a rock.
I did try it out tho, I had crazy luck, 3 young guns in 4 packs, Never had that happen before 2bh lol

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
The one I am missing and never had is the Orr rookie. Funny you mention ones that trigger memories. Saw one last night (forget which year) but a bunch of players had what looked like almost old Christmas tree tinsel behind them.

Biggest reason I say I don't know if I will ever sell any of them is it's my memories of many hours pouring through cards and packs with my father. Means more to me than money.

AT the same time, I would like to see how some of them grade.
Oh yes I can imagine, if I still had mine from a kid, no way I could let them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad