Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Speaking of stickers, I wish UD would make some using the Fleer brand...Fleer Star Stickers. They did them already for the O Pee Chee brand.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Latest mailday from Beckett. 1/1:

xdWyVocl.jpg

Last edited:

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Latest mailday from Beckett. 1/1:

xdWyVocl.jpg

This is the reason why, even though PSA is gaining momentum, I will keep seeing BGS as the top grading company in desirability for modern rookie singles and for all of hockey. Unlike baseball cards, where people routinely make PSA set registries for both sets and players, in hockey we focus on big inserts and YG rookie cards.

Reactions: DaveG and Fixxer

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This is the reason why, even though PSA is gaining momentum, I will keep seeing BGS as the top grading company in desirability for modern rookie singles and for all of hockey. Unlike baseball cards, where people routinely make PSA set registries for both sets and players, in hockey we focus on big inserts and YG rookie cards.
I prefer Beckett. Switching to psa due to prices though. Beckett has no cheap option for subgraded cards anymore.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Whats the price nowadays?
$20 usd per card for orders over $100. Although it looks like PSA raised their prices this month too. I guess I got lucky and got in for $9 or $10 with psa just before they raised prices too.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
$20 usd per card for orders over $100. Although it looks like PSA raised their prices this month too. I guess I got lucky and got in for $9 or $10 with psa just before they raised prices too.

Yeah it’s either raise prices or have insane wait times.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Well I bought my 1st box since 2009-10 upper deck series I. It was a retail 2019-20 Series I box at a big department chain I picked up the following cards:
Young Guns: Quinn Hughes, Blake Lizotte, Teddy Bluegar, Zach Senyshyn, Connor Timmins, Libor Hajek
UD Canvas Young Guns: Cale Makar

Reactions: Rorschach

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well I bought my 1st box since 2009-10 upper deck series I. It was a retail 2019-20 Series I box at a big department chain I picked up the following cards:
Young Guns: Quinn Hughes, Blake Lizotte, Teddy Bluegar, Zach Senyshyn, Connor Timmins, Libor Hajek
That's a hot box, the Makar itself will pay for the box.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That is an incredible box.

I've bought multiple 19/20 series 1 hobbies and blasters this year and have yet to find a YG Makar or Hughes. Canvas Makar is an awesome hit. A good choice to get graded, could be worth quite a bit in 10 years(Worth a lot now for that matter).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I remember my brother had a Mario Lemieux jersey card at one point.

I wonder what the value would be on that now, in good condition.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I have a bunch of cards from the 1933-34 V357 Ice Kings set that I collected long ago.

What would be the best way of selling them? Get them graded first, or sell as is? All together or individually?

I don't have any of the big names like Morenz or Clancy, but figure they'd be worth something.

Cheers

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I have a bunch of cards from the 1933-34 V357 Ice Kings set that I collected long ago.

What would be the best way of selling them? Get them graded first, or sell as is? All together or individually?

I don't have any of the big names like Morenz or Clancy, but figure they'd be worth something.

Cheers
I don't know the prices of those cards but I would think getting them graded is the way to go. It'll make buyers online more confident.

For selling you could do eBay or if they are real high end I guess there are other higher end card auctions that specialize in older cards.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Probably around $50 bucks if it's just jersey, unless it's from the first series of jersey cards UD made back in the 90s. I have a couple of them as well, including from the 00s, where they were rarer and more valuable.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

Cheers

I use to collect the Ice Kings set myself. Send me pictures of your cards and I'll help you out.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Cheers

I think PSA grading for these cards would be great. With old cards like this, PSA slabs are good for not only preserving the cards and for handling, the slab would prove your old cards are authentic.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

Jersey cards have become so common that even game-used jersey cards from legendary players have become pretty inexpensive.

It depends on the set it's from and print run, but I've seen quite a few more common Lemieux jersey cards go for less than $20, some for even less than $10 (shipped). If it's something more from the earliest GU cards or rarer ones, like the McDonalds cards for example, than maybe $100-150.

But with the oversaturation of jersey cards in sets today, few of them gain value as time goes on.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Probably around $50 bucks if it's just jersey, unless it's from the first series of jersey cards UD made back in the 90s. I have a couple of them as well, including from the 00s, where they were rarer and more valuable.

Right. Jersey cards are not worth all that much, even of the goats. Unless its the jersey cards from 96/97? or 97/98 UD. Whatever the first series was that had them def one of those 2.

I have a Mario Jersey card too (actual game worn not event used bullshit) think it's a 02-03 or 03-04 Titanium Mario Jersey card 1/99 (It's serial #1! That makes it a 1/1!!!!111!!! /ebay)

In all seriousness though, It is an absolute mockery of the consumer to charge HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS for boxes/packs of cards, and the jersey/patch/tag or whatever that is used on the card is a f***ing EVENT worn jersey and not game worn. To me, that makes the card near worthless in my eyes. When jersey cards first came out I was pumped. I remember pulling my first actual GU card that wasn't in a 1 per box/pack guarantee (00-01 Ed Belfour GU Stick card out of Topps PRemier Plus, also got a Martin Brodeur Auto in that same box, that was probably literally the hottest/best box imaginable in that entire series those are literally the 2 best cards in the set) and I was stoked! My friend pulled like a 01-02 ASG GU jersey card of Jagr that I traded him a 4 star Patrick Roy collectors choice maybe?? for that Jagr and a Kovy YG.

Now a days, seeing people spend thousands on cards with pieces of jerseys that a player put on over a suit standing around while drinking a mini bottle of water with 20 PR people around is laughable.

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Right. Jersey cards are not worth all that much, even of the goats. Unless its the jersey cards from 96/97? or 97/98 UD. Whatever the first series was that had them def one of those 2.

I have a Mario Jersey card too (actual game worn not event used bullshit) think it's a 02-03 or 03-04 Titanium Mario Jersey card 1/99 (It's serial #1! That makes it a 1/1!!!!111!!! /ebay)

In all seriousness though, It is an absolute mockery of the consumer to charge HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS for boxes/packs of cards, and the jersey/patch/tag or whatever that is used on the card is a f***ing EVENT worn jersey and not game worn. To me, that makes the card near worthless in my eyes. When jersey cards first came out I was pumped. I remember pulling my first actual GU card that wasn't in a 1 per box/pack guarantee (00-01 Ed Belfour GU Stick card out of Topps PRemier Plus, also got a Martin Brodeur Auto in that same box, that was probably literally the hottest/best box imaginable in that entire series those are literally the 2 best cards in the set) and I was stoked! My friend pulled like a 01-02 ASG GU jersey card of Jagr that I traded him a 4 star Patrick Roy collectors choice maybe?? for that Jagr and a Kovy YG.

Now a days, seeing people spend thousands on cards with pieces of jerseys that a player put on over a suit standing around while drinking a mini bottle of water with 20 PR people around is laughable.

You and I are on the same boat sailing the same direction of toward the isle of hobby common sense.
I forgive rookie year jersey/patch cards of event/photo shoot worn because the player has no NHL games at the time of manufacture...but they irritate the hell out of me when it's a player with a ton of games and it almost always seems to happen in a product that's like $40 to $400 a pack.

Back in 05-06 to 07-08, I used to open a lot of UD Trilogy. I loved the thick acetate plexi cards, especially when they were hard-signed. One thing the hobby was clueless on was that the set had a lot of single swatch jersey cards, just like UD base brand. But what was lost on most in the hobby was the Trilogy set's jersey card player list had a lot of old-timer and current all stars in the checklist and almost all of the cards, including the retired stars, were game-worn jersey swatches. The UD base brand jerseys, over half were rookie photo shoot or current players of marginal stardom. But the hobby treated them all like single swatch junk jersey cards.

A single jersey swatch from a vintage, pre-97, game used jersey from a recognizable player should be worth like a starting price of $20 and for a player like Orr-caliber, should be like $100, almost on par with a hard-signed auto. Because they are that rare. A player can keep signing even when retired but he can't go back to the 70s to play another game in another jersey and back then, they would keep repairing the same jersey, not change jerseys in between periods nowadays to make dozens more "game used" jerseys to satisfy fan and card manufacturer jerseys.

I once got an all-star jersey swatch for Gordie Howe from a game in the 70s or 80s out of a UD retro product. The card is probably worth like $30 but I treasure it like a $300 card. It wouldn't surprise me if the UD rep had to fight ole Gordie to get the jersey, lol.

For current rookie RPA cards that have patches, to me the patch is worthless...it's about if the card is hard-signed autographed, how limited it might be and most importantly, is it a brand-significant rookie card.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce