Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
It says reprint right on their grading sticker so they are definitely aware. When you look the company up they are described as "the cheapest semi-reputable grading company ".
Yeah googled that afterwards and saw in the photo. Weird they grade some random ass card.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
So the Beliveau I was eyeing up fell through as the card was a lot more creased then I had at first thought and I got cold feet.

Im new to the vintage card market and am really worried about getting ripped off with a fake or by paying to much for what I feel is a card in decent shape only to find out I overpaid.

Anyways, seeing as I was in the mood to buy something I ended up with this Terry Sawchuk from 52-53. I know its graded by KSA do you think it makes sense to crack it and send it in to PSA? I paid $175 cdn for the card and felt that to be a decent deal....hopefully haha
79B864B1-446D-47F4-B4DE-700162238F17.png

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Wouldn't a Barkov #/75 constitute a hit? If that's what you mean by out of.....

I was under the understanding that numbered cards weren't hits it was just memorabilia or autographs?

Anyways.

I have a story to tell lol.

So. I was annoyed I didn't get a hit, and the very dumb logic in my brain was "well maybe it's every other box" so I went back, didn't take the next one in line and I grabbed the one behind it.

(someone grabbed the one behind mine after I left, so you understand the logic lol)

Now I didn't get anything insane, but, boy oh BOY am I happy I followed my dumb logic lmao.

I received

1. Game worn Thomas Chabot jersey card.
2. Tyler Seguin dual patch jersey card /35
3. Phil Kessel threads of time card
4. Washington capitals Connor McMichael rookie card.
5. TIM F'ING Stutzle rookie card out of 750
6. Karill Kaprizov gold jersey rookie out of 399.
7. Dual patch Liam Foudy rookie card out of 599.

So yes, I am happy with all of that lmao over the moon really.

I know none of then are crazy black diamond like autographed out of 5 but MAN that is nice after the last box.

Anyways. My card budget for the next two months is spent. But it was a LOT of fun opening up that one lmao.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So the Beliveau I was eyeing up fell through as the card was a lot more creased then I had at first thought and I got cold feet.

Im new to the vintage card market and am really worried about getting ripped off with a fake or by paying to much for what I feel is a card in decent shape only to find out I overpaid.

Anyways, seeing as I was in the mood to buy something I ended up with this Terry Sawchuk from 52-53. I know its graded by KSA do you think it makes sense to crack it and send it in to PSA? I paid $175 cdn for the card and felt that to be a decent deal....hopefully hahaView attachment 400447
Yes.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I was under the understanding that numbered cards weren't hits it was just memorabilia or autographs?

Anyways.

So. I was annoyed I didn't get a hit, and the very dumb logic in my brain was "well maybe it's every other box" so I went back, didn't take the next one in line and I grabbed the one behind it.

(someone grabbed the one behind mine after I left, so you understand the logic lol)

Now I didn't get anything insane, but, boy oh BOY am I happy I followed my dumb logic lmao.

I received

I know none of then are crazy black diamond like autographed out of 5 but MAN that is nice after the last box.

Anyways. My card budget for the next two months is spent. But it was a LOT of fun opening up that one lmao.
Wow. The Stutzle and Kaprizov! :eek::eek:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

Anyways.

I received

You got double the hits in one box?

This is interesting since a couple breaks I've watched the same thing happen.

This is why if your paying big money on boxes you should video them. That way if you get jipped on hits you can post them on social media for a response

Reactions: TheGreatOne11

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
You got double the hits in one box?

This is interesting since a couple breaks I've watched the same thing happen.

This is why if your paying big money on boxes you should video them. That way if you get jipped on hits you can post them on social media for a response

You're 100% correct. I should have video taped it that was silly. Especially the first box. I sent upperdeck a long email about it saying I have my receipt and could take pictures of the cards but I have no idea how they can really rectify the situation.

Now that I bought this other box and received the total of two boxes lol.

We shall see what they say, I'll keep this thread updated if I get a reply and if they will even do anything.

Those aurum cards are just stupid imo.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Anyways, seeing as I was in the mood to buy something I ended up with this Terry Sawchuk from 52-53. I know its graded by KSA do you think it makes sense to crack it and send it in to PSA? I paid $175 cdn for the card and felt that to be a decent deal....hopefully hahaView attachment 400447
Nice card. Always had a huge soft spot for Sawchuk. Only record I hated seeing fall was his SO record. Guy was such a battler in life.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Dude when Stutzle popped up I lost my mind. And the Kaprizov with the gold jersey so I typed it into upperdecks little website I was like F yes. Can't even believe I went for another box after that one but you know it worked out, dumb logic is still logic lol.
Are those redemptions?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Nice card. Always had a huge soft spot for Sawchuk. Only record I hated seeing fall was his SO record. Guy was such a battler in life.
Thank you. And so do I. Son and I were both goalies (he still is) and he’s from my home city of Winnipeg as well. I’m still amazed after all these years as to just how tough those old goalies were. Fearless doesn't begin to describe them.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Listen up you beautiful card collectors. HERE IS A GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS AND VETS FOR INVESTING (Not Collecting) Hockey Cards.

This is the best advice you will ever get, if you are looking for "VALUE" only.
If you are looking to collect (and not sell) your cards, Ignore this post entirely.
This post is basically a guide to card collecting to buy/sell (Make/Lose) Money.

OK let's get started -
1 - Buying Boxes - Boxes in general right now are extremely inflated, I would honestly stay clear from purchasing any sort of boxes currently.
THAT BEING SAID, If you are new to the hobby, or even a VET, and you wanna open some boxes, I would not dare to open anything but these.

High End - The cup (FOR RPA's)
Mid End - SPA (Focus on 2018/2019) (This gets you Future Watch cards that are very high demand)
Low End - Upper deck Series 1 and 2 (This is where you find Rookie Young Guns, they are the most popular and easiest to sell cards)

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY AVOID ALL OTHER PRODUCTS, Even popular ones like O-pee-chee platinum, artifacts, engraved, synergy, etc.
Even if you get a "good" Card, due to lack of popularity, it will be much harder to sell, Especially if it's a Mid tier prospect.

2 - Buying Singles - The absolute best way to make money currently is find a "Top" Prospect you feel will make noise in the future, that are on CANADIAN TEAMS and Buy as many Ungraded Rookie Young Guns of them as possible.
Never buy at the start of a new set, Usually are inflated, Wait until a player is in a slump before pulling the trigger.
Even injuries drastically reduce a cards price.
Another trick is to watch games constantly, and if a Rookie has a huge night, Buy a ton of them as quick as possible, Usually there is a markup after a huge night (ONLY FOR COMC NOT EBAY, COMC IS INSTANT, EBAY IS NOT!)
Only buy Young guns/Future Watches - You won't hit 100% of the time, some rookies will get worse, some might get better, but this is your best chance by far.
Use judgement how long you wanna keep a player before selling and starting the process again.
My rule of thumb is if it's not a elite prospect, I am looking for 20% gains.

If people enjoyed this guide, I can let you in on a lot more of information, including the massive use of COMC and price checking, etc.

Let me know! I hope you all enjoyed it!

Even as a collector, this guide is helpful as knowing the kinds of cards people tend to want to buy or sell will help me decide what to hold onto or not if I have duplicates and such.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Saw a mention of epacks earlier. Can someone clarify what that is? From what I can tell, you buy them online, it tells you online what you got, and the cards are mailed?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Saw a mention of epacks earlier. Can someone clarify what that is? From what I can tell, you buy them online, it tells you online what you got, and the cards are mailed?
You can keep it on the site and trade with other people or have them mailed to you. There are also certain epack exclusives cards you can only get on epack by combing cards.

Also it looks like 19-20 Clear Cut checklist is out.
Some chase cards:
Crosby Cup RPA Clear Cut
McDavid FWA Clear Cut
Matthews YG Clear Cut

Reactions: kaiser matias

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Dude when Stutzle popped up I lost my mind. And the Kaprizov with the gold jersey so I typed it into upperdecks little website I was like F yes. Can't even believe I went for another box after that one but you know it worked out, dumb logic is still logic lol.

I thought about posting to you that mid-tier products like Artifacts, even SP Authentic, I never buy one box at a time. Always 3 or more, or a case if it's really good stuff. But you were paying $210 a box (owwww) so I didn't want to rub it in. If I'm in LA and buying a junk product like Artifacts, I'm paying wholesale under $100 if possible (assuming it's the same configuration as before). So it's tough for me to tell you to buy more at $210.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I always tell myself I'm gonna avoid the gaudy sticker auto, uninspired game-used garbage they put out between UD S1 and SPA, but I can never hold out. I guess I could do worse for a midage gambling habit.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
You can keep it on the site and trade with other people or have them mailed to you. There are also certain epack exclusives cards you can only get on epack by combing cards.

Also it looks like 19-20 Clear Cut checklist is out.
Some chase cards:
Crosby Cup RPA Clear Cut
McDavid FWA Clear Cut
Matthews YG Clear Cut

Cool thing about epack is you can transfer right to COMC and sell cards. COMC is a pretty great site.

Check Out My Baseball Cards, Comics & Collectibles

Awesome thanks for the info.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I thought about posting to you that mid-tier products like Artifacts, even SP Authentic, I never buy one box at a time. Always 3 or more, or a case if it's really good stuff. But you were paying $210 a box (owwww) so I didn't want to rub it in. If I'm in LA and buying a junk product like Artifacts, I'm paying wholesale under $100 if possible (assuming it's the same configuration as before). So it's tough for me to tell you to buy more at $210.

Yeah man, we're really getting it up the aunt flows bestfriend right now up here.

Become my pen pal. Ship me boxes. Muahahahaha lol.

Reactions: Rorschach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad