Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I just can't see this continuing with the craziness. I have spoken to many dealers and we believe the time is now to get out.

Im sure, many Bitcoin holders said this 2 years ago too. Now they are crying.
Be patient. I think, we are at the beginning of time, where everything virtually, not connected to banks, will improve their value.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I just picked these cards up at a flea market in my town. I paid 100$ for all of them and even though they aren't in mint condition I feel I got a good deal. In fact I’ve convinced myself that the aging of the cards gives it some character and patina. That or I must watch to much American Pickers haha. Its my 1st venture into the vintage card market and I have to admit I enjoy reading up on the old timers and learning some hockey history with my purchase.
D5DA8A3D-3C8D-48A3-B710-CA64DA8ADE45.png
EE2721B1-4EE8-4A71-ADC9-F4BB68337A39.png
667966D9-EA66-482D-8154-5F54917B4122.png
2E69638F-B514-45FD-909C-6D595C4B2077.png
99845315-761B-4BE6-B68C-85D5580E2C9B.png
C24ECA5B-3E7D-433F-81AE-796131B558F4.png
6143E05A-BE3C-450B-9843-E399105A3DA6.png

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Those cards are awesome. I would’ve paid 100 for them for sure
Thanks. Ya I thought so to. I realize the condition isn't the greatest but because of that I was able to get the guy to knock off $75 from the total. To be honest I would of paid it but figured what the heck, flea markets are designed to haggle over the price. He has a Gordie Howe from that year 53/54 in the same condition as the Harvey roughly. He wants 175$. Any one think that a fair price? If so I may go and get it from him.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks. Ya I thought so to. I realize the condition isn't the greatest but because of that I was able to get the guy to knock off $75 from the total. To be honest I would of paid it but figured what the heck, flea markets are designed to haggle over the price. He has a Gordie Howe from that year 53/54 in the same condition as the Harvey roughly. He wants 175$. Any one think that a fair price? If so I may go and get it from him.
You did well.

You did very well.

Get them graded

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You did well.

You did very well.

Get them graded
You really think I should get them graded? Just by looking at them I would say they wouldn't grade higher thn a 3/4. Thats based on nothing but my limited knowledge, but do you really think its worth it? If so I would do Sawchuk, Harvey and Delvecchio I think.

Ive always figured that its better to not have them graded then to have them graded low. But again am fairly new to the collecting and am always looking for advice and knowledge from people with more then me

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You really think I should get them graded? Just by looking at them I would say they wouldn't grade higher thn a 3/4. Thats based on nothing but my limited knowledge, but do you really think its worth it? If so I would do Sawchuk, Harvey and Delvecchio I think.

Ive always figured that its better to not have them graded then to have them graded low. But again am fairly new to the collecting and am always looking for advice and knowledge from people with more then me

They would grade a 1-2. The slabs can be nice though. Some people will pay a bit extra for the slabs and piece of mind that they are authentic and not altered.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Im sure, many Bitcoin holders said this 2 years ago too. Now they are crying.
Be patient. I think, we are at the beginning of time, where everything virtually, not connected to banks, will improve their value.

Apples to Oranges. For every Bitcoin, there are many that don't turn out.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

I would 100% get 70 year old cards graded no matter what shape they were in.

Like it or not, what you have is hockey history, because that's what the market is turning into in terms of sports cards.

And honestly, who cares about the grade, having them authenticated blows up their value considerably.

I own a 52 Mantle PSA 2. Do I care it's a 2? I own a 52 Mantle.

doumtang

May 14, 2012
What would be the best way to buy a Gretzky OPC rookie? Budget around 3k. I'd plan to send to PSA.

Buy raw? Buy a BGS/KSA/other graded one then resubmit to PSA?

I did buy/trade for them already slabbed by PSA. I think it's the safest way to ensure that you have a nice grade. Second option, I would not mind buying a card graded by another company. But every KSA's grade will tend downward when sent to PSA. Anyway, Gretz rookies are always a good investment in my opinion !

rookies.jpg

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I would 100% get 70 year old cards graded no matter what shape they were in.

Like it or not, what you have is hockey history, because that's what the market is turning into in terms of sports cards.

And honestly, who cares about the grade, having them authenticated blows up their value considerably.

I own a 52 Mantle PSA 2. Do I care it's a 2? I own a 52 Mantle.
Thank you for the advice. I never did really look at it from a hockey history aspect of it. And ya just to have them authenticated would be worth it

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I did buy/trade for them already slabbed by PSA. I think it's the safest way to ensure that you have a nice grade. Second option, I would not mind buying a card graded by another company. But every KSA's grade will tend downward when sent to PSA. Anyway, Gretz rookies are always a good investment in my opinion !

View attachment 399202
Dont tease me with that Roy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad