Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jajpan

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
3 o-pee-chi and 1 Topps, 2 are off
Centre one okay and Topps is darker . I think my one of my Mario’s may be 9/10, the other one is mint but has gum residue .

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Tins used to be 3 guaranteed with a YG canvas sometimes. Now its 2 minimum no guarantee of 3. I bought a 07-08 Series 1 blaster last year before the craziness and pulled 1 YG...of Milan Lucic...and it was wrecked.
You really got to look at the odds on the box now. Some blasters are only pulling one YG.

And ain't it funny there's still a ton of 07/08 up to McDavid year blasters out there?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Card collecting in general is just not worth it, If you buy boxes instead of singles.
Hobby Boxes are skyrocketing in price, I would say after Launce, every box is basically going up 30/40% in price.
This hobby in general is becoming way too expensive, and cards are not matching the price.

Upper Deck S1 / S2 and Authentic are literally the only boxes I would ever consider buying, Just because of Pure Rookie cards in Young guns and Future watches, It guarantees easy sell as well.

Reactions: ted2019

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Card collecting in general is just not worth it, If you buy boxes instead of singles.
Hobby Boxes are skyrocketing in price, I would say after Launce, every box is basically going up 30/40% in price.
This hobby in general is becoming way too expensive, and cards are not matching the price.

Upper Deck S1 / S2 and Authentic are literally the only boxes I would ever consider buying, Just because of Pure Rookie cards in Young guns and Future watches, It guarantees easy sell as well.
The Cup is where the big boys play. You gotta buy it by the case tho.

I have four cases of the Cup on the way. If the mods here don't mind I'll link the break. I've already been offered enough to cover for a Q. Hughes RPA but I'm chasing Dach.

We should make a hockey card speculation thread

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'll take a MSL numbered to 5 over this year's crop of YG's if that makes you feel better.

But honestly, YG's are getting more tougher to pull. Retail wise at least. Blasters would net three now it's two. That's a huge reason why this year's YG's are blowing up.
Yeah same, but i personally collect only Martin St. Louis cards, been on break for years now tho lol

But yeah about the YG’s, i kinda meant in general, not just this year, i’ve been following the values somewhat tightly and just been kinda laughing at the prices they’ve been sold at compared to the amount there are available, like not just the best prospects but YG’s in general.

Edit: Also you guys got any sites where you post your collections or breaks? Would love to check out what all you got.

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
The hobby will reach it's peak and fall. No way this can continue. I already sold off my small collection.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
The hobby will reach it's peak and fall. No way this can continue. I already sold off my small collection.
Well, as someone who has been in this hobby for decades, I can only say this;

Prices on stars will stay where they are, while speculating on young rookies will drop unless it's an impact rookie.

Young guns are white hot because of how easily they are to get. Once the wave moves towards the top end, the prices will drop on mid key rookies.

SP Authentic will be the next brand to skyrocket, while the people with deep pockets will chase Cup rookies. That's when I will sell off.

I own four McDavid Cup rookies and when all is said and done I'll be a millionaire after I sell them.

And to the person who said I was nuts when I paid 8k for a McDavid Cup? How do I look now?

cgarn

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Well, as someone who has been in this hobby for decades, I can only say this;

Prices on stars will stay where they are, while speculating on young rookies will drop unless it's an impact rookie.

Young guns are white hot because of how easily they are to get. Once the wave moves towards the top end, the prices will drop on mid key rookies.

SP Authentic will be the next brand to skyrocket, while the people with deep pockets will chase Cup rookies. That's when I will sell off.

I own four McDavid Cup rookies and when all is said and done I'll be a millionaire after I sell them.

And to the person who said I was nuts when I paid 8k for a McDavid Cup? How do I look now?

I have also been in the hobby for many many years. Congrats on the McDavid Cups.

I just can't see this continuing with the craziness. I have spoken to many dealers and we believe the time is now to get out. I use to have a large collection but my brilliantness sold most of it before this insaneness. What I can tell you however is I will not sell my Gretzky rookies. That is my childhood that can never be replaced with $$$$$.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think the reality will be somewhere in between. We've had an adjustment, and the value of some cards will decrease over time, but not as low as it was. Also, certain hyped rookies, definitely won't hold value. There's no reason a Makar or Drasaitl card should be outselling an equivalent Malkin or P. Kane card.

Krisbryantisbest, regardless of what happens, you made an amazing move picking up McDavid Cup rookies early. If it was me I'd sell now, be happy with the 10x+ profit, and reinvest in something else. I tend to play these things safer than most though.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Talk to them via Twitter. I've never had an issue with UD and they follow me.

I pulled a McDavid Auto redemption from 15 Champs and got it in a couple weeks along with a couple random packs.

Now Topps on the other hand, I pulled the infamous Axl Rose autograph redemption and had a buyer lined up for 2k for a card that I think only five were made. They offered to give me a Lita Ford autographed as a replacement. I said no, so they offered me Kip Winger, I said I'd rather have Lita Ford.

Then six months later, I got Kip Winger.

I'm laughing so hard although I feel bad.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah same, but i personally collect only Martin St. Louis cards, been on break for years now tho lol

But yeah about the YG’s, i kinda meant in general, not just this year, i’ve been following the values somewhat tightly and just been kinda laughing at the prices they’ve been sold at compared to the amount there are available, like not just the best prospects but YG’s in general.

Edit: Also you guys got any sites where you post your collections or breaks? Would love to check out what all you got.

I've posted many of my past case breaks on the old Beckett.com site and some on the hobbyinsider.net site. But I haven't done a hockey break in public for maybe 4 years+.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Talk to them via Twitter. I've never had an issue with UD and they follow me.

I pulled a McDavid Auto redemption from 15 Champs and got it in a couple weeks along with a couple random packs.

Now Topps on the other hand, I pulled the infamous Axl Rose autograph redemption and had a buyer lined up for 2k for a card that I think only five were made. They offered to give me a Lita Ford autographed as a replacement. I said no, so they offered me Kip Winger, I said I'd rather have Lita Ford.

Then six months later, I got Kip Winger.

I did just that and they responded within 5 minutes and also followed me haha. Thanks I got my case#.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I think the reality will be somewhere in between. We've had an adjustment, and the value of some cards will decrease over time, but not as low as it was. Also, certain hyped rookies, definitely won't hold value. There's no reason a Makar or Drasaitl card should be outselling an equivalent Malkin or P. Kane card.

Krisbryantisbest, regardless of what happens, you made an amazing move picking up McDavid Cup rookies early. If it was me I'd sell now, be happy with the 10x+ profit, and reinvest in something else. I tend to play these things safer than most though.
I sell everything but Cup. RPAs I'll hold onto until the very last second.

McDavids have so much potential to skyrocket higher. If YG's are hitting 1k right now Cups will push 100k with a strong playoff and God forbid 250k with a Cup win.

I'm just speculating. But this whole run on YG's is fueled by basketball Prizm. And while Zion and Luka are the new big things, you have to look at mcDavid as the NHL's current Lebron, and nobody is touching Lebron Rookies any more outside Tom Brady.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I did just that and they responded within 5 minutes and also followed me haha. Thanks I got my case#.
See?

UD don't deserve the hate.

At least your not getting an autograph of a rock singer who's biggest hit has the lyrics "her daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me"

Jeez, I think I still have that card......

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

I'm gonna make a break video of my Cup cases and post it here.

If I get a Dach I will give away one of the crappy RPA's I get

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I have A LOT of cards from the mid 2000s to early 2010s.

I used to prioritize jersey cards / patches. Have over 100 of those.

Are cards during that era worth much right now? Kept every single card I’ve ever opened (unlike my Pokémon cards that were tossed when I moved houses...)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I have A LOT of cards from the mid 2000s to early 2010s.

I used to prioritize jersey cards / patches. Have over 100 of those.

Are cards during that era worth much right now? Kept every single card I’ve ever opened (unlike my Pokémon cards that were tossed when I moved houses...)
Of course they're worth something, it just depends on what you have.

It's taken 40 years for 80's hockey to appreciate in value, outside of key rookies, of course, so look at what you have, lower serial numbers cards from that time frame are hitting good right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Anyone have any good leads for 03-04 Parkhurst Original 6? Apart from eBay, COMC etc.? It's (Toronto) the only full set I have worked on in the last 20 years. I have 7 cards left to complete it, all numbered to 20. Very rarely show up on the market. I figure if I ever complete it I have one of the only sets in existence. At most there's 20.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Anyone have any good leads for 03-04 Parkhurst Original 6? Apart from eBay, COMC etc.? It's (Toronto) the only full set I have worked on in the last 20 years. I have 7 cards left to complete it, all numbered to 20. Very rarely show up on the market. I figure if I ever complete it I have one of the only sets in existence. At most there's 20.
List me who your looking for

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Anyone have a lead on one of these at a normal price? I can’t justify paying $75 for this card to finish off the set.

Attachments

• E681C294-FB99-43E6-8B4C-5DD2B989D962.jpeg
    E681C294-FB99-43E6-8B4C-5DD2B989D962.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad