History event, you want to be filmed

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I'd like to see a movie based around Rasputin but where he is rarely featured. I think it would be an interesting mood for a film.

Almost like the first hour or so of Seven before Spacey was introduced.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Wright Brothers. One of Mankind's longest and biggest dreams, and how the impossible finally came true thanks to the intellect, obsession, and hair-raising courage of two brothers.

Checking IMDB, it turns out there was a feature film about them about 20 years ago, but it (obviously) disappeared without a trace. There was also a 2003 documentary on the 100th anniversary of the famous first flight. Ironically, the voice of Orville was supplied by Neil Armstrong, whose iconic story is about to be released in theatres soon.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know that they did Exodus like a million times in all different eras of Hollywood cinematography, but a proper Book of Exodus would be as wicked as it would come by.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The Wright Brothers.. the intellect, obsession, and hair-raising courage of two brothers.

..turns out there was a feature film about them about 20 years ago, but it (obviously) disappeared without a trace..

LS, I also remember an old episode of Voyagers! (back in the 8os) about the Wright Bros. Ed Begley Jr played one of the brothers.. good times.

I dig the story of the Wright Bros. But for a contemporary movie audience, their story would need some X-Men, or a deranged clown/serial killer inserted somewhere..

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I'm surprised they haven't done a movie about the pow ships in NYC harbor back in the Revolutionary War. One ship:

HMS Jersey (1736) - Wikipedia

also the Battle of Concord and Lexington is ripe for a Hollywood movie
perfect role for Clint Eastwood:

He joined the revolution as an old man, was shot in the face – and lived another 18 years | Boston.com
whittemoremarker-4344$large.jpg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
That would actually be a really interesting way to do it because there's so much going on around him.

I think since he is a man of much intrigue and a lot of stories around him, it makes sense to have him be this figure that you hardly see. Almost like movies that have a monster that you barely see. Let the imagination do the trick

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
These would be some great f***ing movies!

I want one about The Beatles. How they formed, their touring/recording years, break up & end with Lennon’s murder.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm a fan of Roman affairs, weird people who were both progressive innovators yet ultra barbaric in nature.

My take on Roman history would take place in Briton during the years 60/61 CE, i.e. Boudicca's wrath. The film would follow two perspectives: a Centurion of General Paulinus' legion on the Roman side, and a daughter of Boudicca on the other. Extreme torture, creepy mass sacrifices and bloody battlefields all combining to create a historical horror film that puts viewers in an uncomfortable position throughout.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What about some really deep WWII series? From all sides involved. With the main and not to well know side events.

There is here in Slovakia to see an old fashioned classic Liberation from Russian director Juri Ozerov. It is naturally affected with the time, when it was made. And with the political supervision of the Soviet establishment. But still it is a worth to see.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Been listening to a lot of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts recently, and currently going through the Prohpets of Doom episode about the 1532-1535 Munster rebellion, and holy shit while it would probably make a better HBO-type adaption this would be my pick right now.

A German city in the wake of the Martin Luther protestant upheaval taking over by hardcore religious fanatics espousing both communist revolution and end of the world prophecy. It's like the Waco siege but on steroids, full of all sorts violence, sex, and dark humour.

One event Carlin describes it like Benny Hill as directed by Quentin Tarantino, which seems like could maybe work as a broader description, though it came from outside the wall along the siege lines. The first assault on the city was planned for sunrise but one mercenary company got so dead drunk that they mistook the sunset for the sunrise and not wanting to be last to the raping and looting grabbed their weapons and charge. Then the rest of the companies seeing one group going for it didn't want to miss out either so they all charged too, turning it into an outright disaster of a disorganized night assault with no artillery support that was easily beaten back by the defenders/fanatics emboldening their thinking that God was on their side.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I would like to see a retelling Dr Livingstone's expeditions in Africa, his abolitionist activities, the slave massacre in Nyangwe, time out of communication with the West and meeting with Stanley.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would like to see a retelling Dr Livingstone's expeditions in Africa, his abolitionist activities, the slave massacre in Nyangwe, time out of communication with the West and meeting with Stanley.

"Dr. Livingston I presume..."

"OOHHHHHHH HE SAID THE LINE!!!!!"

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Life of Muhammed could be fun.

Kind of to late to make it, though.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The Belgrano. Survived Pearl Harbour. Served in the pacific. Sold to the Argentinians and sunk during the Faklands

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Jonestown.

My Best-Carey

Frisco.. don't know if you remember, but there was a TV mini-series on Jonestown, shortly after their suicide. Not a 'blockbuster', but pretty good.. think it was Guyana Tragedy (?)

Reactions: frisco

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Frisco.. don't know if you remember, but there was a TV mini-series on Jonestown, shortly after their suicide. Not a 'blockbuster', but pretty good.. think it was Guyana Tragedy (?)
I quasi remember that. I guess I'd like to see a full, high end treatment of the thing. I think there's been some good documentaries too.

Also, DB Cooper might make a good film.

My Best-Carey

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Pretty much anything the Mongols did at their heights.

Mongols vs the Islamic Assassins
Mongols vs Russians
Mongols vs European Knights

The Mongols absolutely fascinate me. If Genghis hadnt fallen ill and died when he did, would we all be speaking Mandarin right now? They defeated themselves in the end, no army in Europe could withstand them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad