History event, you want to be filmed

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd like to see a movie based around Rasputin but where he is rarely featured. I think it would be an interesting mood for a film.

Almost like the first hour or so of Seven before Spacey was introduced.

Rasputin besides being the villain in Hellboy was also featured in several films I've seen.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd love to see a movie about the climate of music from late 80s/early 90s as in hair metal and pop and how over the course of a few weekends the fall of 1991, it just changed. Not a band biopic, but more of a music industry and from a radio DJ POV and the aftermath.

I'd also be curious to see biopics on Jeff Buckley, Minnie Ripperton, and Moe Berg who was an MLB catcher and spy.

Reactions: Eisen

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have no doubt that if Leo Major was American that a major Hollywood film production would have been made about him.

Canada has had a film industry for at least half a century. Maybe they should've told his story by now instead of trying to corner the market on horror films ;).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The end of the fat orange guy

You have something against Gritty?

philadelphia-flyers-new-mascot-reactions.jpg

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Amundsen and Scott Expeditions to South Pole.

Frederick Cook vs Robert Peary: Who was the first in the North Pole (also the aftermath disputes).

There is a lot material for very interesting series.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I ve been waiting for a Midway movie..and then I saw the recent trailer.

I have no faith in great movies based on amazing historical events

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
When Xenu dumped all those billion people in volcanos, injected their bodies with alcohol and glycol and then blew them up with a thermonuclear bomb so their souls (or 'thetans') spread through the atmosphere before he caught them again in intergalactic traps so they could be taken to large theaters where they were brainwashed with false information about their past before they were let go so they could cluster onto the last living people and make them restless and irrational beings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Amundsen and Scott Expeditions to South Pole.

Frederick Cook vs Robert Peary: Who was the first in the North Pole (also the aftermath disputes).

There is a lot material for very interesting series.

Ask and you shall receive. I'm sure there are subtitles out there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
When Xenu dumped all those billion people in volcanos, injected their bodies with alcohol and glycol and then blew them up with a thermonuclear bomb so their souls (or 'thetans') spread through the atmosphere before he caught them again in intergalactic traps so they could be taken so large theaters where they were brainwashed with false information about their past before they were let go so they could cluster onto the last living people and make them restless and irrational beings.

giphy.gif

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Tom digs that story, y'know.

But honestly, a real good well written/constructed film about L. Ron would be gold. So much crazy and sinister things and details you would probably have to try to tone it down quite a bit just to make it digestable for the audience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Tom digs that story, y'know.

I couldn't resist that meme for a reason ;).

But honestly, a real good well written/constructed film about L. Ron would be gold. So much crazy and sinister things and details you would probably have to try to tone it down quite a bit just to make it digestable for the audience.

It's not a film, but there's a pretty good two-hour HBO documentary from a few years ago about Scientology (with the first half being history about Hubbard) called Going Clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hatfield

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
A movie about flavius aetius, the last great roman general in the last decades of the western empire and the battle of catalaunian plains where he defeated the Huns would be great.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A movie about flavius aetius, the last great roman general in the last decades of the western empire and the battle of catalaunian plains where he defeated the Huns would be great.

My memory says I watched a low budget Gladiator-type movie about Attilla and this guy, didn't remember his name but remembered the bad ass Roman general stealing a lot of the spotlight, back in the late 90's. Doing a quick lookup it was a 2001 TV miniseries called Attila that I guess they released on VHS, featuring Gerard Butler (probably his first lead role) as Attila and a guy named Powers Boothe as Flavius Aetius.

IMDB Link

Flavius and Attila:
MV5BZDQwMGQ3ZWYtYzcwMS00MmYzLThkMGMtMjcxNGI1ZTliN2I0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk2MjQ4Mzk@._V1_.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Funny how a lot of these exist in one form or another.

For another pick how about the South Sea Bubble? An early 1700's Wolf of Wallstreet/Mad Men type story, where the financial Chancellor seeing the government overloaded with debt, the treasury near empty, and no help from the Bank of England, turns to a slick bastard named John Blunt of the Hollow Blade Company to come up with a number of schemes to finance the government and enrich Blunt along the way

Which comes to the creation of the South Sea Company, a South American equivalent to the incredibly wealthy East India company, where the government was locked into the $100 a share price and any dollar over was profit for Blunt's company. Problem: South America was controlled by Spain, and after signing a peace treaty the British/SSC were only allowed to send 1 slave trading ship a year to South America.

John Blunt's and the SSC knew this, the government knew this, but everyone else had no idea. The stock chart tells the story pretty well here:

South-sea-bubble-chart.png

Every sudden spike there is when the price levels of and people start getting suspicious, Blunt comes up with another scheme convincing people to double down and buy into the hysteria. To quote Sir Isaac Newton who lost the modern equivalent of about 250 million pounds in the scheme: "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men".

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Historical event, I wish was filmed?

My friend Tom being conceived. His mom was (still is) soooo HOT !!

Last edited:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Battle of Trafalgar as a massive setpiece epic action movie would be freaking amazing.

Did you watch the Hornblower series? Imagine Sharpe, just on sea. Pretty decent stuff, with a bit of age-of-sail combat thrown in.

Fun fact, the series also includes a few scenes with Denis Lawson, the guy who played Wedge Antilles in Star Wars.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Did you watch the Hornblower series? Imagine Sharpe, just on sea. Pretty decent stuff, with a bit of age-of-sail combat thrown in.

Fun fact, the series also includes a few scenes with Denis Lawson, the guy who played Wedge Antilles in Star Wars.

Big Hornblower fan, probably my favorite book series, and give props to the miniseries for being at least decent.

Secretly hoping that an older Ioan Gruffudd gets a Captain/Comodore/Admiral Hornblower series started up eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad