History event, you want to be filmed

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Frankly, I'll take anything historical that I can get. I don't even care if it's been covered enough, like WWII. I'd gladly take too many WWII movies over too many superhero movies.

To answer your question directly, though, I've wanted to see a movie about the Roman siege of Masada ever since watching a few documentaries on The History Channel in the late 90s. It's always struck me as a fascinating, tragic story in a very unique location. I know that there was a 1981 miniseries with Peter O'Toole, but I've yet to watch it and an updated movie-length version would be nice.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would have liked to see an adaptation of the Battle for Castle Itter but it appears as if a film IS being released in 2018.

The French prisoners included former prime ministers, generals and a tennis star. It may have been the only battle in the war in which Americans and Germans fought side-by-side. Popular accounts of the battle have called it the strangest battle of WW II.

Battle for Castle Itter - Wikipedia

Reactions: DynamiteKid

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
There were a ton of old movies (mostly problematic) about the Comanche, but it would be great to see a modern representation of their society. The plains and the horse culture always make for amazing visuals. It looks like there was an Empire Of The Summer Moon project in the works, but maybe it was dropped.

It would also be cool to see a fleshed out representation of the ancient Khmer empire.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a hockey fan, I'd like to see a big budget movie about the '72 Summit Series. No shortage of drama, intrigue, or controversy there.

As a music fan, I'd like to see no-holds-barred biopics about Captain Beefheart and Richard Wagner.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think Bagration has ever been put onto the big screen. I always thought it would be done best in a style similar to The Longest Day, and A Bridge to Far.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Love the idea about a Sink the Bismarck movie. The 1960 one was great but imagine with today's technology. Talk about an epic sea tale. As long as they make it historically accurate.

Great now I have the song in my head lol.

Also anything WWII related, as long as it's made well. Was really excited when I heard a Pearl Harbor movie was being made, then I realized they were doing a love triangle story with an oh-by-the-way the Japanese bombed us subplot.

I've also always been fascinated by the stories behind the making and using of the atomic bombs but there's been a few of those already.

Reactions: Mikey 48

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As a hockey fan, I'd like to see a big budget movie about the '72 Summit Series. No shortage of drama, intrigue, or controversy there.

As a music fan, I'd like to see no-holds-barred biopics about Captain Beefheart and Richard Wagner.
I actually want to see something like this, except where the Russians are the clear protagonists instead (or where the spotlight is shared between the two sides). The documentary, 'Red Army' made me realize that they have the far more interesting story, complex obstacles to deal with, engaging film-friendly characters (Tarasov, Tikhonov, Fetisov, Krutov, Larionov have personalities that make them seem like mythical cartoon characters or something), and thematically, it would touch on compelling ideas/themes, rather than purely existing to document history.

When it centers around the Canadians/Americans, it's sort of doomed to just feel like self-congratulatory nationalistic propaganda (albeit for the right side) and nothing else.

The fact that they created a style of hockey that completely revolutionized the way that the sport is now played, and the struggles that they faced being trained in the Russian system, getting out of there, and then trying to adjust to and change the NHL is so much more interesting to me than the good guys fighting communists.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I actually want to see something like this, except where the Russians are the clear protagonists instead (or where the spotlight is shared between the two sides). The documentary, 'Red Army' made me realize that they have the far more interesting story, complex obstacles to deal with, and engaging film-friendly characters, and thematically, it would touch on compelling ideas/themes, rather than purely existing to document history.

When it centers around the Canadians/Americans, it's sort of doomed to just feel like self-congratulatory nationalistic propaganda (albeit for the right side) and nothing else.

I'd like a well-balanced representation where both sides are the protagonists, like in the Iliad. It was an epic battle that deserves an epic telling.

I don't think the Russian side is any more compelling than the Canadian side, just different. The cultural and ideological clash makes for a compelling subject IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'd like a well-balanced representation where both sides are the protagonists, like in the Iliad. It was an epic battle that deserves an epic telling.

I don't think the Russian side is any more compelling than the Canadian side, just different. The cultural and ideological clash makes for a compelling subject IMO.
Sure. Although, for me, I think the more interesting part of the Canadian perspective has to do with the setting/political stakes rather than the actual team involved, personally (and I find the personalities on the Russian team more interesting and engaging). I just want to get that story as far away as possible from being the generic rah-rah propaganda/underdog story that this kind of thing typically is.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure. Although, for me, I think the more interesting part of the Canadian perspective has to do with the setting/political stakes rather than the actual team involved, personally. I just want to get that story as far away from being the generic rah-rah propaganda/underdog story that this kind of thing typically is as possible.

I hate underdog stories too, but I don't think it has to be that. For me Canada vs. Russia in '72 is the individual vs. the collective, in terms of personalities and style of play. I like the uneasy feeling of Canada having to resort to breaking the best Russian player's ankle to pull off a win that so many overconfident Canadians thought was a foregone conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad