History event, you want to be filmed

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hate underdog stories too, but I don't think it has to be that. For me Canada vs. Russia in '72 is the individual vs. the collective, in terms of personalities and style of play. I like the uneasy feeling of Canada having to resort to breaking the best Russian player's ankle to pull off a win that so many overconfident Canadians thought was a foregone conclusion.
Sure. I just keep thinking of the CBC version of that story that was filmed/released a while ago, which touched on many of those same topics, and it just did not do much of anything for me at all. I think I got more out of reading about it than from watching it unfold in a show/movie.

It kind of ended up just feeling like "These are the stakes, here's how crazy it got, here's why you should care, now watch the rest of this and root for Canada. Oh look, against all odds, we won-- Yay for us."

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I would have liked to see an adaptation of the Battle for Castle Itter but it appears as if a film IS being released in 2018.

Battle for Castle Itter - Wikipedia

I hadn't heard of that battle. That does sound interesting and like it would make a good movie. In fact, some of the details (like the tennis star running a gauntlet of enemy fire and the German commander risking his life to rescue a former French prime minister) sound like things that a script writer would make up to embellish a story for the screen. I'll have to keep an eye out for The Last Battle later this year. Thanks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure. I just keep thinking of the CBC version of that story that was filmed/released a while ago, which touched on many of those same topics, and it just did not do much of anything for me at all. I think I got more out of reading about it than from watching it unfold in a show/movie.

It kind of ended up just feeling like "These are the stakes, here's how crazy it got, here's why you should care, now watch the rest of this and root for Canada. Oh look, against all odds, we won-- Yay for us."

Yeah I've seen enough of that for one lifetime too. CBC probably won't ever put out anything thought-provoking into the subject, but they're also probably the only company interested enough to make it happen in the first place. Catch 22.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Copy and paste bc I'm to lazy. Watched a documentary about the siege and there are still all kinds of huge escape tunnels under the city. Would be interesting to know what the templars got out during the siege.

Siege of Acre

The Siege of Acre (also called the Fall of Acre) took place in 1291 and resulted in the loss of the Crusader-controlled city of Acre to the Mamluks. It is considered one of the most important battles of the period. Although the crusading movement continued for several more centuries, the capture of the city marked the end of further crusades to the Levant. When Acre fell, the Crusaders lost their last major stronghold of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
[editorial note: I have a graduate degree in history]

the ancient Egyptian battle against an invasion by a cryptic "sea people", about which we know virtually nothing

the building of the Great Wall, especially the part that's near silver deposits and gleams brightly on sunny days

an attempt at re-telling one of the ancient Indian epics, some of which are longer than all of Shakespeare's works combined

the story of the Aztec origin and how their civilization was almost dead in the desert until they came upon the mythical eagle-eating-snake-upon-cactus

the pilgrimmage of Mansu Musu, perhaps the richest person to ever live, in which he brought 80 camels, each one carrying hundreds of pounds of gold, and spent so much money he debased every currency along his path

the Battle of Cannae, in which the Carthaginians annihilated a Roman army twice their size

the Vikings who literally dragged ships all the way across Russia to attack the Black Sea

the Heian golden age of Japan, in which fashion included hair longer than your body and teeth blackened by soot

the collapse of the Rapanui of Easter Island, who destroyed their island to build all those huge heads [although it might also have been rats]

a story of the civil wars that broke out in the Islamic world immediately after the death of Muhammad

the motherf***ing Mongol conquests

the slave trade on the other side of Africa -- where blacks were sold to Indian, Persian, and Arab kingdoms

the Gadsden Purchase, for no other reason other than because no American actually ever needs to know anything about it

the Congo Conference in the late 1880s where European nations went whole-hog gangbusters

Saigon's hugely lucrative underworld in World War II, where smugglers, triads, and war profiteers were fighting for territory alongside spies and saboteurs

I could go on all day man

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
-The Yellow fever outbreak of 1793 in Philadelphia.I think a historical medical drama could be really interesting to see.The impending feeling you'd get from it is everybody's screwed. Dr. Benjamin Rush had the best cure which involved liberally bleeding patients while the city shot off cannons to ward off bad odours. Meanwhile the free African society would get a much deserved page of history. At the time there was a theory black people couldn't get Yellow fever so the Free African Society went out and did whatever they could for sick people many of whom owned slaves themselves. And to top it off Philadelphia was the capital of the USA so it effectively paralyzed the whole country.

- Punch Up in Piestany: I know it's hockey but in the right hands I bet this could be a really good miniseries. You could talk about the violence of hockey in Canada at the time and how it separated us from the Europeans. The Cold War understood from the pov of teenagers representing their countries. The people, Theo Fleury a victim of sexual abuse who wasn't drafted but started to make his name in Piestany, Evgeni Davydov a player with lots of talent but no discipline who was the first off the bench, the french goalie who could barely speak english but was pressed into being the starter. And so many people who's stories from those days whose stories could be told, Pat Elynuik, Steve Nemeth, Bert Templeton, Vladimir Vasiliev, Don Cherry, Hans Ronning. I really wish we could see this miniseries.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Post H bombs in Japan and the true impact as horrible as that might sound.

I remember watching a documentary a looooong time ago about this. A woman was interviewed who saw the bomb leave the B29, but she thought it was a man, like a paratrooper.
She stated utmost admiration for his bravery, dropping into Japan like that before the reality of the situation hit.

As for me, I'd like to see how the English were turned away at Bannockburn.
The Braveheart film only touched on it at its end and was totally Hollywood in the first place, but I want to see how this really went down.
Did the Bruce really unite his people into a cohesive force for once, or did they get undocumented help (Templar remnants) beating such a superior force.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm a history nerd so I'm all for well made historical based film and TV (probably TV more as I prefer the medium). I think a TV show based around the Plantaganet dynasty would be interesting. William the Conqueror and the subsequent years well made would be can't miss for me. The Normans in Sicily would be high class drama and would also shed light on a period of history almost entirely overlooked.

Reactions: mjlee

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The breaking apart of Pangea and subsequent long-distance dinosaur relationships that had to form because of it.

Such an extreme time scale might be hard to fit into a movie. A miniseries might be more suitable.

The sinking of the Titanic but without a bull**** cliche Hollywood romance attached

Now I understand why you watch nothing but classic horror films.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The unbelievable story of Paul Michael Larson, an unemployed ice cream truck driver who flipped CBS’ mega hit game show Press Your Luck on its ear and won over $110,000 (an all time record on any game show at the time).

Michael Larson - Wikipedia

He was accused of cheating and made the shows creators look foolish, when he revealed that he memorized their five set patterns for the board, by taping and watching the show over and over. By having a meticulous understanding of these patterns, it helped him avoid the whammies (which instantly clear away all your winnings).

It’s a fascinating story and brings up interesting debates about whether he cheated, or if he simply outsmarted the showrunners at CBS.

I lean heavily towards the later, but the fallout after the show with accusations of cheating, CBS refusing to pay him and Larson managing to lose all of his winnings within two years, would make for a hell of a Hollywood drama if done right.

Here is a brief clip about the scandal:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dont Toews Me Bro

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I absolutely love history movies, any time period is fine with me. I don't mind when a Director takes artistic license with a movie plot as long as they make an effort to get the background setting as correct as possible. Part of what I like in history movies is getting that feeling of the times and culture and it's much appreciated if the film creators try to get that part right at least.

I also like watching old movies (even if they weren't originally meant as historical pieces), many of them are cultural time capsules. I love peering back in time like that. And it's strange watching people smoke so much back then in movies; if they ever wipe out nicotine in 100 years, people watching older movies will be asking 'what the hell were they doing and thinking back then') (another nit-pick thing that I've noticed over time is bad hair-styles for the period, often hair-styles reflect the time the movie was made and not the supposed era itself)

If movies aren't enough, historical documentaries are also a treat. Online 2 years ago I found EZTV MV Group Documentaries website that carries a bag load of history content. I highly recommend it to history buffs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The unbelievable story of Paul Michael Larson, an unemployed ice cream truck driver who flipped CBS’ mega hit game show Press Your Luck on its ear and won over $110,000 (an all time record on any game show at the time).

Michael Larson - Wikipedia

He was accused of cheating and made the shows creators look foolish, when he revealed that he memorized their five set patterns for the board, by taping and watching the show over and over. By having a meticulous understanding of these patterns, it helped him avoid the whammies (which instantly clear away all your winnings).

It’s a fascinating story and brings up interesting debates about whether he cheated, or if he simply outsmarted the showrunners at CBS.

I lean heavily towards the later, but the fallout after the show with accusations of cheating, CBS refusing to pay him and Larson managing to lose all of his winnings within two years, would make for a hell of a Hollywood drama if done right.

Here is a brief clip about the scandal:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
The sinking of the Titanic but without a bull**** cliche Hollywood romance attached

Agreed. I always thought "Night to Remember" was much better about the actual ship and sinking.

Like my post above, similar to what they did with "Pearl Harbor", slipping the Japanese attack into a sappy love triangle with a zillion historical inaccuracies.

Anyway don't get me started on "Titanic"...lol.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There's a very similar story about Terry Kneiss who memorized the prices of frequently used products on the show, the Price is Right, and was able to put in perfect bid after perfect bid.

Now, the way Larson studied lights, Terry Kniess studied prices. He saw that virtually every prize on The Price Is Right, from a pack of gum to the flashiest car, repeated. He and Linda memorized their values the way Terry had learned to count cards.

Price Is Right Perfect Bid - How Terry Kniess Beat The Price Is Right

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The literal reading of the title made me think of what events in history I would like to see. I would like to see all of what was going on at Stonehenge during that whole period. The building of it and the ceremonies, whatever they were exactly.

Making of hill forts and other types of massive movement of earth by earlier humans is also fascinating. I would love to see more ancient battles than I can count. The moment the tides turned. The less famous but still just brutal, real violence.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's a very similar story about Terry Kneiss who memorized the prices of frequently used products on the show, the Price is Right, and was able to put in perfect bid after perfect bid.

Price Is Right Perfect Bid - How Terry Kniess Beat The Price Is Right

Ya I came across that when reading Larson’s story. Apparently Kneiss had another man in the audience help him, but they couldn’t prove it.

Larson’s story is way better Hollywood material IMHO though... from how he duped CBS, later had 50k of the prize money stolen out of his house, to the scams he got involved in afterwards, and how he went on the lam and into hiding from the FBI until his death.

Pretty wild story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad