History event, you want to be filmed

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The journeys of Erik the Red and his Son Leif Eriksson.

With all the popularity of Viking and Nordic culture the past few years I can't believe we haven't seen a movie on this.

Could use the amazing landscapes of Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Any kind of war movie showing the other side as the protagonists. It would be controversial in the U.S. but I want it.

As the grandson of one of the "bad guys" from WWII this has always interested me. I would find it interesting to see how the Germans got swept up in the fever in the decade before the war, and to see the war from their side.

One could imagine the emotional rollercoaster of a supporter seeing Hitler's rise to power, early wins at war, then loses, then the abject shame with the exposure of the holocaust, and finally needing to return to normal life.

It would be a hard film to direct. Balancing ensuring there are no positive fascist tones or glorifying the politics. While still keeping the lead character/s as relatable for the viewer to not just cheer for their immediate death.

Like a German Band of Brothers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As the grandson of one of the "bad guys" from WWII this has always interested me. I would find it interesting to see how the Germans got swept up in the fever in the decade before the war, and to see the war from their side.

One could imagine the emotional rollercoaster of a supporter seeing Hitler's rise to power, early wins at war, then loses, then the abject shame with the exposure of the holocaust, and finally needing to return to normal life.

It would be a hard film to direct. Balancing ensuring there are no positive fascist tones or glorifying the politics. While still keeping the lead character/s as relatable for the viewer to not just cheer for their immediate death.

Eastwood did an interesting thing a few years ago

two movies

Flags of our Father and Letters from Iwo Jima

some people called Eastwood as being unpatriotic in his telling of the story from the Japanese side of things

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I would love to see a movie about what the world would be like without colonialism. I feel like the true history of the world was rewritten seeing all the evidence of ancient civilizations dating back more than 14000 years ago.

Reactions: holy

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
There's Cross of Iron: Cross of Iron - Wikipedia

The best war film from the German perspective that I've seen is Das Boot.

I will have to try and find a way to watch Cross of Iron.

Das Boot is great - and you do really forget they are "the bad guys" and don't want to see them blown up by a depth charge. However I peg it much more as a submarine movie than a general war movie. Maybe I am discounting it too much in saying that, and wanting to see more Army/infantry. It is a very real portrayal of what the life would be like for a submariner but I don't recall it addressing the political issues other than brushing off that these guys were really apolitical.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Any kind of war movie showing the other side as the protagonists. It would be controversial in the U.S. but I want it.

It wouldn't necessarily be controversial. All Quiet on the Western Front is told from the German perspective. The 1930 American film adaptation was widely acclaimed in the U.S., won Best Picture and Best Director and is considered by Americans to be one of the finest war films ever made.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Resurrection of Christ. Could be a sequel to "Passion". Seriously.

I believe that Mel Gibson was planning to do just such a sequel, himself. That was before his arrest cratered his image, obviously.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

I think Stalingrad actually does this quite well in terms of humanising the German soldiers. And of course All Quiet on the Western Front is WW1 not WW2 but still gives a very good perspective from the "bad guys" side of the war.

I also like the characters Hans Christian Blech plays in The Bridge at Remagen and The Battle of the Bulge. I love the quote near the end of The Battle of the Bulge when he tells off Colonel Hessler: "You would murder my sons. You would murder my country. You would murder the whole world, to stay in that uniform."

Reactions: Flukeshot

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I will have to find the battle of the bulge movie as well. My grandfather was there behind the lines with the fuel that they could not get to the front.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Steve McQueen bio-pic.

Resurrection of Christ. Could be a sequel to "Passion". Seriously.

My Best-Carey
Also, a Johnny Cash bio-pic from 1968 until the end of his life. Basically, from where "Walk The Line" ends.

My Best-Carey

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Band of Brothers didn't have much of anything to do with politics or events leading up to the war. What you're describing sounds like two different films or miniseries.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Band of Brothers didn't have much of anything to do with politics or events leading up to the war. What you're describing sounds like two different films or miniseries.

Band of Brothers while it was not political it did show a fair amount of pre war training. Obviously the pre war build up for the US vs Germans is night and day. My ideal scenario would be roughly 1936 thru 1946. I enjoyed that BOB covered after VE day.

All quiet on the Western Front touched on life before WWI and how young men joined because there was still some romantic idea behind going to war.

By WWII many Germans would have had their Fathers generation in WWI and perhaps grandfathers in the Franco-Prussian War. The love for war was long gone but yet there they were.

Apologies if I am going too off topic.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I'd love to see a biopic on Charles Lightoller. He was the 2nd officer (and highest ranking officer to survive) on the Titanic. He helped ensure that each ship had more than enough lifeboats for all aboard and that drills would be conducted to ensure passengers knew where to go and what to do in case of emergency. He also served in World War I and assisted in the Dunkirk evacuation in World War II (the character Mr. Dawson in Dunkirk is loosely based on him). I'd like the biopic to also focus on his bad side, such as slaughtering German soldiers who had already surrendered and interrupting Captain Smith's orders as Women and Children only instead of Women and Children first, which led to lifeboats leaving nearly empty because women didn't want to leave their men behind.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Hawaii history (the King Kamehameha kind) seems like it'd be cool to see on film.
King vs Cook , and how Kamehameha united the feuding islands. Hawaii has some interesting history.
How the Islanders traded sex for nails to Cooks men and how Cooks ship that has sailed the word sunk between Hawaii and Maui (probably because all the nails had been removed) They made hooks out of nails because they had no metal.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Reading this thread again I'm almost certain we all watch the same history channels on youtube. Cody's knowledgehub & alternatehistoryhub, Nick Hodge's History Buffs, Simple History, The Great War, History with Hilbert etc.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Reading this thread again I'm almost certain we all watch the same history channels on youtube. Cody's knowledgehub & alternatehistoryhub, Nick Hodge's History Buffs, Simple History, The Great War, History with Hilbert etc.
Don't know about those but Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is really good.

Reactions: offkilter

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Eastwood did an interesting thing a few years ago

two movies

Flags of our Father and Letters from Iwo Jima

some people called Eastwood as being unpatriotic in his telling of the story from the Japanese side of things

Damn, some folks are just screwed. I've understood that Mr. Eastwood is as 'Murican cuck as they come. Unpatriotic my ass.

He just might have the intelligence and humanity to understand both parties as human beings in the middle of the horrific world's events. Great director and actor.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad