HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
"Who the **** cares what the rest of HF thinks"

Judging by the long list of excuses why he needs to speak to AM so soon after the season/exit interviews it seems like quite few people need to gives reasons why .

does he NEED to speak to Matthews or is he in Arizona and going to speak to Matthews

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
does he NEED to speak to Matthews or is he in Arizona and going to speak to Matthews
If there's some sort of issue between them then it's obvious he feels the need to speak to him .

If he just happened to be in the area at some point later on in the off season few would bat an eye at him dropping by AM's house but to meet with him so soon after we were eliminated does lead most people to believe there is some issue that needs to be resolved .

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If there's some sort of issue between them then it's obvious he feels the need to speak to him .

If he just happened to be in the area at some point later on in the off season few would bat an eye at him dropping by AM's house but to meet with him so soon after we were eliminated does lead most people to believe there is some issue that needs to be resolved .

of course, this is just speculation by everyone here. You may well be right. But what if Babcocks visit to the Spokane owners house was for this week/month why wouldn't he just drop in on Matthews now instead of a trip back later in the offseason.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Whether or not there is a rift; I am just curious to know how the hell did media even find out about this trip? Who talked?

does babcock announce his travelling plans?
did someone from Auston's camp leaked the story?
did someone from MLSE leak it?

Just curious

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Whether or not there is a rift; I am just curious to know how the hell did media even find out about this trip? Who talked?

Just curious
Probably came up in casual conversation and someone ran with it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Just curious

Im sorry there is no way an MLSE employee is that desperate to leak stuff that the week after lou leaves they blurt stuff out. He had been gone a week, why would an employee think oh great lous gone I can leak stuff. Babcock told someone he is going to Arizona it is as simple as that, he is going to see the brett family according to him while there meeting Matthews.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Probably came up in casual conversation and someone ran with it.

Im sorry there is no way an MLSE employee is that desperate to leak stuff that the week after lou leaves they blurt stuff out. He had been gone a week, why would an employee think oh great lous gone I can leak stuff. Babcock told someone he is going to Arizona it is as simple as that, he is going to see the brett family according to him while there meeting Matthews.

My curiosity was that how the heck did media get the wind of babcock's travel plans and/or meeting with Matthews.

Even if Babcock had a conversation with someone; its not like he would have gone asked the person to go tell Freidman who tweeted it first I guess.

then Lebrun tweeted to say that babcock is on a family vacation and since he is already there he would be meeting Matthews.

But all this media BS; who the hell leaked the info to media is my curiosity,

It would be absolute case of distrust from now on if babcock mentioned it in passing to Friedman and then he went on to tweet about it. That is a complete DICK move by Freidman if he did that

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My curiosity was that how the heck did media get the wind of babcock's travel plans and/or meeting with Matthews.

Even if Babcock had a conversation with someone; its not like he would have gone asked the person to go tell Freidman who tweeted it first I guess.

then Lebrun tweeted to say that babcock is on a family vacation and since he is already there he would be meeting Matthews.

But all this media BS; who the hell leaked the info to media is my curiosity,

It would be absolute case of distrust from now on if babcock mentioned it in passing to Friedman and then he went on to tweet about it. That is a complete DICK move by Freidman if he did that
Once they knew he was going to Arizona they probably asked him if he was meeting Matthews.
I'm not seeing anything sinister about this topic.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Whether or not there is a rift; I am just curious to know how the hell did media even find out about this trip
He's the coach of the Leafs. He will be noticed at the airport and all someone has to do is look at which flight he gets on.
I sometimes wonder if these reporters have spies at airports.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Imagine babcock went to Arizona and DIDN’T speak to matthews. The reverse outrage would be applied, “the rift is so deep babcock didn’t even go see matthews during his visit”

Headlines line “has matthews played his last game in Toronto?”

Reactions: saltming and Buds17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Imagine babcock went to Arizona and DIDN’T speak to matthews. The reverse outrage would be applied, “the rift is so deep babcock didn’t even go see matthews during his visit”

Headlines line “has matthews played his last game in Toronto?”
do you think Babs will invite AM to go with him and his family to the Dude Ranch?

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Nice. Drive this idiot out of town asap. This country bumpkin's been living in this city for too long and now affecting the city in bad way. Get him a truck and tell him to ****ing pack up and go.

I support Cherry 100%. For all the nonsense he talks on there, he also points the blatant mistakes. Can you imagine Sidney ****ing Crosby playing 15 mins and win the cups?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol what a joke.

Not the first time the Leafs use the media and specifically Bobo to get out information to conteract a story that is true.

Funny people say the media makes up stories only problem is... it is only the ones they dislike. Then when the media is fed a story and it comes out and it is an attempt to quiet or distort the real story people believe it.

Babcock had no need to see Mathews if his claim that everything was ok between them none. The same no need to ask Mathews if everything was fine between then when he claimed that there was no issue.

Bobo lost me when he claimed that Kadri was seeking 6 years 5 .5 million a year in 2013 and Kadri called him out and it was proven that Bobo was so far wrong as he signed a two year deal a few days later for under 3m per.
Kadri called him Bobo a name I think is fitting.

My point is that teams use the media all the time to attemp it get fans on their side or to distort the truth and in this case the truth was Babcock meet with the Mathews as it was reported he was going to do. The rest is nonsense and a very poor attempt at minimizing why he had to go and meet with them.

The fact that there are leaks in less then a week after Lou was removed as GM is funny.
Most on here believed that he was going to stay as senior advisor ( which I did not) . Lou was not happy and he is not staying, this in its self is concerning. Things in Leaf land is not as hunky-dory as it appeared this year.
Questions I have ( not looking for replies as I know what most think)
Why was Lou pushed out?
What was the disagreement that caused Shanny to remove Lou?

Going to miss Lou as he created a stable environment for the Leafs and his expectations for everyone involved with the team was needed. The team became more important that the individuals. Sure hope we can maintain this though process but judging by recent events it does not look like it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol what a joke.

Not the first time the Leafs use the media and specifically Bobo to get out information to conteract a story that is true.

Funny people say the media makes up stories only problem is... it is only the ones they dislike. Then when the media is fed a story and it comes out and it is an attempt to quiet or distort the real story people believe it.

Babcock had no need to see Mathews if his claim that everything was ok between them none. The same no need to ask Mathews if everything was fine between then when he claimed that there was no issue.

Bobo lost me when he claimed that Kadri was seeking 6 years 5 .5 million a year in 2013 and Kadri called him out and it was proven that Bobo was so far wrong as he signed a two year deal a few days later for under 3m per.
Kadri called him Bobo a name I think is fitting.

My point is that teams use the media all the time to attemp it get fans on their side or to distort the truth and in this case the truth was Babcock meet with the Mathews as it was reported he was going to do. The rest is nonsense and a very poor attempt at minimizing why he had to go and meet with them.

The fact that there are leaks in less then a week after Lou was removed as GM is funny.
Most on here believed that he was going to stay as senior advisor ( which I did not) . Lou was not happy and he is not staying, this in its self is concerning. Things in Leaf land is not as hunky-dory as it appeared this year.
Questions I have ( not looking for replies as I know what most think)
Why was Lou pushed out?
What was the disagreement that caused Shanny to remove Lou?

Going to miss Lou as he created a stable environment for the Leafs and his expectations for everyone involved with the team was needed. The team became more important that the individuals. Sure hope we can maintain this though process but judging by recent events it does not look like it.

You're not being pushed out when your contract as GM ends. Lou wasn't supposed to be the GM forever, that why his contract was written that way.

Reactions: Loosie

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
do you think Babs will invite AM to go with him and his family to the Dude Ranch?

no no, they aren't friends. Only Friends and families go to dude ranches together

edit: that classic saying "the family that dude ranches together, stays together"

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
no no, they aren't friends. Only Friends and families go to dude ranches together

edit: that classic saying "the family that dude ranches together, stays together"
But if there is a rift they could come together and sing kumbaya at the camp fire

Reactions: SAMCRO44

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
very true, whilst searching for the legend of curlys gold?
finding that together would bring this team to the brink of a stanly cup
I will second this! One cannot say enough about corporate team building.
I'm thinking the saying in the dressing room next season will be "all in for Curly's gold"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad