HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Babcock met with Matthews because he was in town for another reason. It’s the same reason he’s meeting with Andersen when he’s watching the World Cup.

You’re welcome to your opinion but it’s quite easy to deny it. You’re trying to twist an innocent meeting because you don’t like Babcock.
I don’t believe it was an innocent meeting, but you’re entitled to your opinion. In the end, only Babcock and Matthews know what was discussed.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You are. Lou's contract has not ended, nor was he not offered the GM job again...he wasn't fired, nor removed, nor pushed out. Lou is still fulfilling his 7 year contract that he signed...he completed his 3 years as GM, and moving onto the next 4 years as a senior advisor. Now, he's not a young man anymore, so it's very likely that he'll retire before the 4 years, but he has stated that he's committed to honouring his role as senior advisor.
He was removed/fired or pushed aside from a job he wanted and I do not see him staying.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
He was removed/fired or pushed aside from a job he wanted and I do not see him staying.

That's absolute conjecture by you. Lou has stated in a few interviews that his contract was for 3 years as GM while he mentored Dubas and then to stay for another 4 years as his advisor.

But you are going to try and say that one of the most respected and trusted GMs in the history of the game is all of a sudden a liar and secretly wanted to stay and is somehow mad and going to leave for elsewhere. Give your head a shake and stop drinking the media's Kool-aid.

If the past week or so is any indicator we are in for a long summer of baseless drama and unsubstantiated rumors that will be repeated until the gullible buy it hook line and sinker.

Reactions: TTF

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Can't wait to hear what he has to say about the Dubas hiring. This should be good.

Let's do a Jerry's percentage.... What are the odds he actually uses the word "nerd"? I'm saying 30%.

Apr 1, 2010
With all due respect to those players, they are not Matthews. His overall game relatively speaking is way more complete than Marner's or Reilly's. Also, I'm not so sure the same couldn't have been achieved by those players with a different tact. They in fact might have been better players today by having been played more, or with different linemates. Fact remains, Matthews and Babcock have a rift of some kind, and it has been created by Babcock because we know that's his modus operandi. Break the spirit of the young'uns, play the heck out of vets like Komarov and Polak till he realizes the error of his ways. Most overrated coach in the league.
And with all due respect to Matthews he is not Marner or RIELLY. For starters they play different positions. lol
If Matthews ever finds the heart Marner has he will be a 100pt player for several years. There is no denying his talent.
I did not agree with the way Babcock handled RIELLY last year, specifically on the PP, or lack thereof in Morgan's case. As for this season Babs' decision to put Marner on the 4th line for almost half the year and mess with his head likely cost Marner his first 80pt season.

IN Babcock's defense he has coached some of the best to ever play the game and he must see glimpses of those past talents in some of the players on the roster now. If he believes this way is the best way to make Matthews the next Datsyuk and Marner the next Zetterberg, etc. then I am willing to give him a chance.

The biggest problem imo, probably could be its own thread, but the team itself is about 2 years ahead of the original Shana-plan. We weren't supposed to be this good yet. I don't think they originally planned on the LEafs making the post season until next year. This was supposed to the trade deadline where we moved JVR and Bozie et al. for picks and spects. But because of our unexpected success the past 2 seasons the original Shana-plan is out the window. Babcock's promised long term pain never happened.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Babcock talked to dreger at "dreger cafe" on tsn.nhl and said they are really pushing with matthews and he met him at arizona. They talked. matthews wants to be be the best player, the best two way player. Babcock also said "it ain't going to be roses every day." It's a process etc. Many thangs. So I was right, Babcock met with matthews at arizona.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Babcock talked to dreger at "dreger cafe" on tsn.nhl and said they are really pushing with matthews and he met him at arizona. They talked. matthews wants to be be the best player, the best two way player. Babcock also said "it ain't going to be roses every day." It's a process etc. Many thangs. So I was right, Babcock met with matthews at arizona.

No one disputed they met, what the dispute was about was that Babcock didn't fly to Arizona to see Matthews. He saw Matthews because he was already in Arizona, those two circumstances are different.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
N
No one disputed they met, what the dispute was about was that Babcock didn't fly to Arizona to see Matthews. He saw Matthews because he was already in Arizona, those two circumstances are different.
Not at all scheduled. Leafs were still in the playoffs. Both the player matthews and the coach did schedule their arizona trips out of surprise. Not planned. Leafs were in the playoffs and a couple of days later these suckas was in arizona. They met alright. Yeah mayne, they surely did met and spoken words were traded.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is completely false.
If Hunter cant accept someone else got a job, then he and his arrogance can leave. He might have too much of an ego to swallow his pride.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is completely false.
If Hunter cant accept someone else got a job, then he and his arrogance can leave. He might have too much of an ego to swallow his pride.

Has nothing to do with that. At that level he feels he can be a team architect and thinks he is ready now. Most likely he will leave to design his own team and it's the right career move for a 55 year old with that skillset.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I'd say it would have been a bigger deal if Babcock was in Arizona while Matthews was and he didn't take the timr to visit him.

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
I think this is a very interesting story and I love reading each of you share your thoughts. So much intelligent debate here.

I'm glad my ban is over. I'll behave moving forward.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Don Cherry was just on during the first intermission of hockey night in canada again. He talked again about Matthews and STILL was on it: He didn't feel Matthews should be playing that 15min but over 21 minutes per game and he said again on the television set. He compared also his icetime to ovechkin's 25min and would love for matthews to play that 22min game also per game and being that number one guy for us.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Don Cherry was just on during the first intermission of hockey night in canada again. He talked again about Matthews and STILL was on it: He didn't feel Matthews should be playing that 15min but over 21 minutes per game and he said again on the television set. He compared also his icetime to ovechkin's 25min and would love for matthews to play that 22min game also per game and being that number one guy for us.

lol please....... Matthews needs to learn how to be a "Gud Pro" and also has to start liking country music and hunting channel

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this before you guys will understand but there's only 6 forwards in the league who average 21 minutes per game. They all play tons of powerplay time and some short handed time. I'll post all the ice times and I'll let you see if you can spot the difference.

Total ice time
Kopitar 22:05
Barkov 22:04
Couturier 21:36
McDavid 21:33
Getzlaf 21:26
Trocheck 21:22

Matthews 18:08
That's around 17% less ice time than the average of the top 6 forwards.

Short handed ice time
Kopitar 2:10
Barkov 1:45
Couturier 1:54
McDavid 1:05
Getzlaf 1:04
Trocheck 1:48

Matthews 0:02
Around 98% less ice time than their average PK

Powerplay ice time
Kopitar 2:53
Barkov 3:23
Couturier 3:14
McDavid 2:58
Getzlaf 2:49
Trocheck 3:29

Matthews 2:09
Around 39% less ice time on their PP

Even strength ice time
Kopitar 17:02
Barkov 16:56
Couturier 16:28
McDavid 17:30
Getzlaf 17:33
Trocheck 16:05

Matthews 15:57
Around 6% less ice time at even strength.

For Matthews to get to that 21 minute mark he might need to be trusted to work on the PK and to get more PP time. The good news is the PP time might come naturally when the #1 unit breaks up and needs to be adjusted for next season, we'll see. I'm sure Matthews will be getting more icetime as he develops and gets older. Stop worrying and maybe stop listening to Cherry.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this before you guys will understand but there's only 6 forwards in the league who average 21 minutes per game. They all play tons of powerplay time and some short handed time. I'll post all the ice times and I'll let you see if you can spot the difference.

Total ice time
Kopitar 22:05
Barkov 22:04
Couturier 21:36
McDavid 21:33
Getzlaf 21:26
Trocheck 21:22

Matthews 18:08
That's around 17% less ice time than the average of the top 6 forwards.

Short handed ice time
Kopitar 2:10
Barkov 1:45
Couturier 1:54
McDavid 1:05
Getzlaf 1:04
Trocheck 1:48

Matthews 0:02
Around 98% less ice time than their average PK

Powerplay ice time
Kopitar 2:53
Barkov 3:23
Couturier 3:14
McDavid 2:58
Getzlaf 2:49
Trocheck 3:29

Matthews 2:09
Around 39% less ice time on their PP

Even strength ice time
Kopitar 17:02
Barkov 16:56
Couturier 16:28
McDavid 17:30
Getzlaf 17:33
Trocheck 16:05

Matthews 15:57
Around 6% less ice time at even strength.

For Matthews to get to that 21 minute mark he might need to be trusted to work on the PK and to get more PP time. The good news is the PP time might come naturally when the #1 unit breaks up and needs to be adjusted for next season, we'll see. I'm sure Matthews will be getting more icetime as he develops and gets older. Stop worrying and maybe stop listening to Cherry.
But he said it on the TV.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
N

Not at all scheduled. Leafs were still in the playoffs. Both the player matthews and the coach did schedule their arizona trips out of surprise. Not planned. Leafs were in the playoffs and a couple of days later these suckas was in arizona. They met alright. Yeah mayne, they surely did met and spoken words were traded.

It may not have been formally scheduled as in “We’re going to visit the Bretts on this date” but rather more casually scheduled as in “Once the playoffs are over, we’re going to visit the Bretts.”

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It may not have been formally scheduled as in “We’re going to visit the Bretts on this date” but rather more casually scheduled as in “Once the playoffs are over, we’re going to visit the Bretts.”
I don't know about that and uh, usually "they" tend to celebrate so mothafreakin hard after the cup winnings that nothing good happens in weeks... I mean they treally is celebrating hard. So nothing is guaranteed. They not going to visit the Bretts, ever. They just keeping it stanley cup and playoffs all the way. So yeah, the evidense stays. They went after Matthews at arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->