HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Don Cherry just ripped really Mike Babcock for flying out to see Matthews in Arizona and Cherry told them straight up it was a bad move just when Lamouriello stepped out as being the manager. Not a good move said Cherry, Don. Bad bad move he said exactly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don Cherry just ripped really Mike Babcock for flying out to see Matthews in Arizona and Cherry told them straight up it was a bad move just when Lamouriello stepped out as being the manager. Not a good move said Cherry, Don. Bad bad move he said exactly.

Sounds like Leaf Drama. Babcock was outcoached, I know, the players know. He should know by now unless his ego has created it's own universe.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Ummm... Did he say anything that actually means anything?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Don Cherry is right, Babcock is getting ridiculous with the sheltering Matthews crap. Don mentioned Matthews only played 15 minutes some games when he should have been getting 20+ if I was Matthews and I knew my caliber and what I was capable of I'd be pissed off at the playing time.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Ummm... Did he say anything that actually means anything?
He treally analyzed that thang through out and his opinion was that it was a "bad bad move". He also talked about matthews being a 20 year old kid and they should have talked it out during the golf thang or something else like in the kitchen and not like that there. He was truly against this type of a thang. Y'all should have seen that conference of Cherry tonight. He was really on tonight again.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Don Cherry is right, Babcock is getting ridiculous with the sheltering Matthews crap. Don mentioned Matthews only played 15 minutes some games when he should have been getting 20+ if I was Matthews and I knew my caliber and what I was capable of I'd be pissed off at the playing time.
Yes sir he also talked about that thang of matthews only playing 15 min and that not being the correct thang to do. He also wanted matthews playing 22 min as to his philosofy every great key player on C should do that thang during that 22 min spin. Every playoff game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It was already reported earlier today that Babcock had this trip planned with his family a while ago, and he's going to take advantage and meet with Matthews while he's there to touch base.

I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion.

Is that what the MLSE PR dept. Is feeding us this week Clarky? ;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It was already reported earlier today that Babcock had this trip planned with his family a while ago, and he's going to take advantage and meet with Matthews while he's there to touch base.

I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion.
It is not blown out of proportion at all but a real concern. Let’s hope Mathews parents can stay out of this as that is the real issue here. Look at Babcock interview after this came out and it tells you his Mom is way to involved.

Babs met with Mathews at season end exit meetings and nothing was said. Then he goes home and all this starts up.

People dismissed what was said by two hockey media people and yet they have been bang on. Babcock is going to Arizona to see the Mathews. This is no family trip at all.

Reactions: dsred and ToMaLe

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
This is sports today. You better pamper the best player on your team. Especially when he's going to be the face of franchise for years to come. Do I like it? Not really. Just the world we live in.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Is that what the MLSE PR dept. Is feeding us this week Clarky? ;)

Well, for what it's worth, it was reported on TSN Overdrive.

Even if Babs did decide to fly out there just to meet with Matthews, I don't see anything wrong with it. If there is the slightest chance that there was a rift developing, it's better to nip it in the bud so that they're on the same page going into training camp.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well, for what it's worth, it was reported on TSN Overdrive.

Even if Babs did decide to fly out there just to meet with Matthews, I don't see anything wrong with it. If there is the slightest chance that there was a rift developing, it's better to nip it in the bud so that they're on the same page going into training camp.

It's a nothing burger anyways. Players get pissed at coaches all the time. Sometimes it happens after a coach has a lousy series and Babcock did, who cares. I just hope Babs investigates his failure and adapts some going forward.

Media loves to talk about, anything here.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It is not blown out of proportion at all but a real concern. Let’s hope Mathews parents can stay out of this as that is the real issue here. Look at Babcock interview after this came out and it tells you his Mom is way to involved.

Babs met with Mathews at season end exit meetings and nothing was said. Then he goes home and all this starts up.

People dismissed what was said by two hockey media people and yet they have been bang on. Babcock is going to Arizona to see the Mathews. This is no family trip at all.

If that's the case, then it's a necessary move by Babs, and it's better that he deal with it now as opposed to letting the situation fester all summer.

Reactions: stickty111

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

In all honesty how can you say that Babcock going to Arizona is no family trip. You legit have no clue what his family has planned to do on their spare time

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

This started right after we got eliminated, in fact both Auston and Babcock were asked about a possible rift on locker clean out day. This didn’t just pop up when Matts went home

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
BS National Enquirer crap, stirred up by a self promoter.... (which really is his job, so not a knock, just reality)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad