HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
So you would rather have him ride a 2oyr old over 20 minutes a game who was dealing with injuries during the season and in the past? Seems like a good strategy.
In one word...yes. Playing him less didn't keep him any healthier. Obviously, until he recovers you pull back his minutes, but he wasn't injured an entire season. He's your best player. A generational talent. You ride that horse BECAUSE he is 20 yrs old, not break his spirit.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Seeing how this story has been thoroughly discredited and this same argument has cause at least three threads to close why don't we close this one? This is just an excuse for the same people to take potshots at Babcock on the basis of absolutely nothing.

Babcock didn't fly to Arizona to see Matthews, end of story.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He did the same with Rielly last year. Hated watching it.​
Done the same with Nylander and Marner as well.
Marner responded wonderfully to his strategy and has become a spark for every line he has been on.

If Matthews feels he needs 21min toi to get his pts, maybe he should look at Sundin who had some of his best years getting sub 20toi. When you get the chance to play, you show up! Matthews crapped the bed v. Boston. No excuses. This is a guy who is supposed to be the next best thing to McDavid. He should be able to perform at a higher level than he did.

As for linemates he got to play with Nylander all year who is the Leafs 3rd or 4th most talented forward, so that's not bad.
With all due respect to those players, they are not Matthews. His overall game relatively speaking is way more complete than Marner's or Reilly's. Also, I'm not so sure the same couldn't have been achieved by those players with a different tact. They in fact might have been better players today by having been played more, or with different linemates. Fact remains, Matthews and Babcock have a rift of some kind, and it has been created by Babcock because we know that's his modus operandi. Break the spirit of the young'uns, play the heck out of vets like Komarov and Polak till he realizes the error of his ways. Most overrated coach in the league.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Seeing how this story has been thoroughly discredited and this same argument has cause at least three threads to close why don't we close this one? This is just an excuse for the same people to take potshots at Babcock on the basis of absolutely nothing.

Babcock didn't fly to Arizona to see Matthews, end of story.
I thought this was a discussion forum where opinions can be expressed. This is a story that is a cause for concern for many of us. As for the story itself, the old adage is "where's there's smoke, there's fire". Babcock may not have gone out there specifically to speak to Matthews, but he did feel the need to have a discussion about their relationship. I'm certain he wouldnt have done that with Polak in the Czech Republic or Komarov in Finland.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I thought this was a discussion forum where opinions can be expressed. This is a story that is a cause for concern for many of us. As for the story itself, the old adage is "where's there's smoke, there's fire". Babcock may not have gone out there specifically to speak to Matthews, but he did feel the need to have a discussion about their relationship. I'm certain he wouldnt have done that with Polak in the Czech Republic or Komarov in Finland.

It's not, it has rules and spreading false allegations is against them. Oh and he's doing it with Andersen when he's in Europe for the world cup so you're wrong again.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The thread title says "Don Cherry ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews...". We're discussing whether we agree with Don or not, and conjecturing as to why Babcock went to see Matthews. You saying Don Cherry didn't say that and Babcock didn't visit Matthews? Nobody knows the real reason, but speculating on the cause is relevant as a topic of discussion. As for visiting Andersen, no perception of a rift was reported, hence who cares if he visits him.

Reactions: hoglund and Moonman

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The thread title says "Don Cherry ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews...". We're discussing whether we agree with Don or not, and conjecturing as to why Babcock went to see Matthews. You saying Don Cherry didn't say that and Babcock didn't visit Matthews? Nobody knows the real reason, but speculating on the cause is relevant as a topic of discussion. As for visiting Andersen, no perception of a rift was reported, hence who cares if he visits him.

Doubling down I see, you know people can see your words right?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Doubling down I see, you know people can see your words right?
Explain. Of course people can see my words. In case they missed them, here’s my gist...I don’t like Babcock, and I think he’s messing around with the confidence of our great young players, especially our #1C who Babsy played as a #4C, understandably upsetting our generational talent. This, even you cannot deny.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Explain. Of course people can see my words. In case they missed them, here’s my gist...I don’t like Babcock, and I think he’s messing around with the confidence of our great young players, especially our #1C who Babsy played as a #4C, understandably upsetting our generational talent. This, even you cannot deny.
This an interesting thang. So some of y'all clearly thank that Babcock is not the best fit and his understanding of our young players and playing with them is not good for our health. I will study this sight and remark and thought with great patience and furious calculators. And you will know my name is senor because I will be calculating in the end if babcock is good for us right now. He did great during the regular season and I think he is the fine fit for us and makes us better. He done made some big mistakes though too. This a huge thang now what people is talking bout this visiting arizona thang. They did that. Yeah, they did that. And now we are calculating and putting the pieces together. Let's see how it plays out and what the chess is.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Babcock met with Matthews because he was in town for another reason. It’s the same reason he’s meeting with Andersen when he’s watching the World Cup.

You’re welcome to your opinion but it’s quite easy to deny it. You’re trying to twist an innocent meeting because you don’t like Babcock.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
So the team was in game 7 and Matthews had not been a factor in the series..
And yet they still were playing him with Brown and Hyman....2 wingers who are there for defence and would not be of much help offensively to any centre.
Down 2 goals late in the game Hyman was still there with Matthews and the line was not producing much of anything..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, I would replace any coach who would do that...contract money and all that aside.

Reactions: Moonman

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's not, it has rules and spreading false allegations is against them. Oh and he's doing it with Andersen when he's in Europe for the world cup so you're wrong again.
Nothing false about the truth.

The only false part of this story is the joke of an explanation that you are believing as it is pure nonsense. What was false he did go to Arizona and meet with Mathews that was 100% true.

Why did anyone from the leafs even speak about this issue at all. If he was simply going on vacation that there was no need at all for an explanation what so ever.

There are issues and I hope they are starting to resolve them but to bury your head in the sand and ignore them is fine but asking to close a thread based on the nothing as he most definitely visited Mathews and I can assure you it was not to say a simply hello.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Nothing false about the truth.

The only false part of this story is the joke of an explanation that you are believing as it is pure nonsense. What was false he did go to Arizona and meet with Mathews that was 100% true.

Why did anyone from the leafs even speak about this issue at all. If he was simply going on vacation that there was no need at all for an explanation what so ever.

There are issues and I hope they are starting to resolve them but to bury your head in the sand and ignore them is fine but asking to close a thread based on the nothing as he most definitely visited Mathews and I can assure you it was not to say a simply hello.

And people wonder why the Toronto media is so toxic, it’s because people fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
All contacts have end dates he was not offers the job again and was fired or removed or pushed out... is that to hard to understand. He sure as hell wanted to stay as GM

He had a 7 year contract agreed with Shanahan when he signed - 3 years as GM and 4 years as senior advisor. Acknowledged publicly by both Shanahan and Lou...why make things up?

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
If nothing else, Babs knows he is under an even thicker microscope....he is the #1 fault for us fizzling out.

Will that change how he approaches next season? Don't know. But don't think for a second Babs doesn't know he screwed up...royally.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He had a 7 year contract agreed with Shanahan when he signed - 3 years as GM and 4 years as senior advisor. Acknowledged publicly by both Shanahan and Lou...why make things up?
Who is arguing otherwise.

My opinion is that he did not want to stop being the GM is that to hard to understand.

I also believe that he will not stay on as senior advisor...he may but he will want some authority.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Did Babcock visit Mathews as was said by Friedman? Why yes he did! That is a fact. That is what I presented I simply do not believe the snow job that he went to see Mathews because he was in the area.
Great, but I think both you and I know that nobody is objecting to you posting that Babcock visited Matthews.

The false allegations begin after this.

The truth is that Babs went to offer him the captaincy. Anybody who believes otherwise is delusional. Prove me wrong ;)

Reactions: Raymoondo

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Great, but I think both you and I know that nobody is objecting to you posting that Babcock visited Matthews.

The false allegations begin after this.

The truth is that Babs went to offer him the captaincy. Anybody who believes otherwise is delusional. Prove me wrong ;)
Lol the captain may have been offered but make no mistake there were issues for sure and I believe it was the reason why Lou was removed. Other wise why would you not have Lou as your front man on these contract negotiations. There was a issue and Lou was not happy about what transpired is my opinion ...same prove me wrong. Lol

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Lol the captain may have been offered but make no mistake there were issues for sure and I believe it was the reason why Lou was removed. Other wise why would you not have Lou as your front man on these contract negotiations. There was a issue and Lou was not happy about what transpired is my opinion ...same prove me wrong. Lol
I don't disagree there were issues at all. And maybe he did go down to talk things out. I don't think its the story the media wants it to be, but probably more along the lines of
'Hey, I didn't play you more because you didnt look so great' or 'Hey, carrying a franchise like Toronto is a process. Youre gonna be one of the greats kid, but not yet' or another stupid coach cliché of one sort or another.
That being said, much like you, I am just guessing. For all I know he did plan to go there and just texted Auston. Maybe Auston's folks invited him to dinner?

As for Lou, the Shanaplan has not changed. They told us three years ago this was the plan. Whether I agree with the plan or not is another issue.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Who is arguing otherwise.

My opinion is that he did not want to stop being the GM is that to hard to understand.

I also believe that he will not stay on as senior advisor...he may but he will want some authority.

You are. Lou's contract has not ended, nor was he not offered the GM job again...he wasn't fired, nor removed, nor pushed out. Lou is still fulfilling his 7 year contract that he signed...he completed his 3 years as GM, and moving onto the next 4 years as a senior advisor. Now, he's not a young man anymore, so it's very likely that he'll retire before the 4 years, but he has stated that he's committed to honouring his role as senior advisor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->