OT: HFPens Community Lounge: All Are Welcome (No, Not You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Guess I'm just here for the night :dunno:
20210224_235006.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well my company just sent out a notification that they're adding a "wear at all times" mask mandate, despite the fact that their current policy (wear masks in common areas but not in your cubicles) has worked extremely well at preventing COVID spread at work.

So yeah, just sent my application to Westinghouse from my work computer :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well my company just sent out a notification that they're adding a "wear at all times" mask mandate, despite the fact that their current policy (wear masks in common areas but not in your cubicles) has worked extremely well at preventing COVID spread at work.

If that’s the only reason you’re leaving that’s weird. Better to be more cautious especially with the more contagious variants.

Can people work from home? That’s usually the best way to do it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that’s the only reason you’re leaving that’s weird. Better to be more cautious especially with the more contagious variants.

Can people work from home? That’s usually the best way to do it

Eh, the issue is that the policies already in place have been very effective at preventing the spread. They're not exactly keeping us in the loop with these things, but I haven't heard of any reported cases coming from infection spread at work. Granted, an absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but I would hope we would have heard about that. They're not doing it out of a need to improve their policy, they're doing it to score politics points to beg for more money from the government. I'm obviously a super pro-mask person, you can look through past COVID threads for evidence of that, but this seems like a downright bad policy that isn't based on anything that justifies it.

I've talked about some of my job searches in here in the past, but that went on the backburner during the house hunt. Now that I'm done with that, this policy change kinda reminded me of my problems. People can work from home, but the capabilities to do so are so bare bones that it's almost impossible to get any work done. You basically have your email, excel and word at home, that's really it.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Went crazy and bought 9 autographed 8x10 pictures (Lemieux, Jagr, Fleury, Letang, Malkin, Dupuis, Rust, Guentzel and Gonchar) for the man cave. Already have a signed Crosby jersey and a signed Crosby 8x10 (Rimouski days).

Pandemic needs to end so I can spend money on activities, not memorabilia :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

No eating or drinking allowed?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No eating or drinking allowed?

No that's fine, you just have to wear your mask outside of that. Literally everyone I've talked to hates the policy. I have no clue how they plan on enforcing it though, you can just claim "I was eating" or "I was drinking" if someone comes around.

I just wish my company had better teleworking capabilities. I don't exactly like working from home, but that's far preferable to wearing a mask for 9.5 hours in a row.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've liked wearing a mask in the office because no one can tell how much i hate my job and it's a valuable tool for hiding disdain on zoom

Yeah, let me rephrase. The mask thing is just another shitty thing that the company has done recently, it's not like everything is jolly outside of that :laugh:

Idk why, but they've made a lot of things a lot worse recently and really aren't giving us anything back in response. Closed the cafeterias (which is the right move of course), but still required us work an extra half hour for a "lunch break" that no one can reasonably take. Making their benefits packages shittier, the one that impacted me was education assistance. Raises are apparently going to be bad this year due to a low inflation rate. They were telling people who get covid to screw off by saying "you have to use PeTO if you catch COVID and run out of MTO" last year before teleworking was fully implemented too. It's just a non-stop train of screwing over the employees.

I never really noticed it because I was distracted with the house and starting a new position at the company, but laying it out here makes me really notice it even more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No that's fine, you just have to wear your mask outside of that. Literally everyone I've talked to hates the policy. I have no clue how they plan on enforcing it though, you can just claim "I was eating" or "I was drinking" if someone comes around.

I just wish my company had better teleworking capabilities. I don't exactly like working from home, but that's far preferable to wearing a mask for 9.5 hours in a row.

Working from home is a dream. 95% of the reason I went into HR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I always had the option of working remotely and would at times but being in the office is always more productive for me even if my office at home is also situated to be a work friendly environment. Work from home sometimes feels weird where you end up working even longer.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Working from home is a dream. 95% of the reason I went into HR.

I like a mix of both. Don’t have too much of choice right now.

The good thing is my boss is open to me working from anywhere so I could go back to Australia for a couple months every year which I could spend Christmas and enjoy the summer for a couple months every year.

Wouldn’t do it while the pugs are around but it’s an option down the road.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I always had the option of working remotely and would at times but being in the office is always more productive for me even if my office at home is also situated to be a work friendly environment. Work from home sometimes feels weird where you end up working even longer.

Thats cause you keep loggin in here and slangin wankers left and right

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Idk if this is a hot take but I'll say it: I'd rather work 10 hour days at home over 8 hour days at work.

I think a big reason for me thinking this is that if I'm doing 10 hour days at home, that means I'm engaged and doing work. If I'm at work for 8 hours a day, that just means I'm at the office for 8 hours, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm engaged for all of those 8 hours.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Idk if this is a hot take but I'll say it: I'd rather work 10 hour days at home over 8 hour days at work.

I think a big reason for me thinking this is that if I'm doing 10 hour days at home, that means I'm engaged and doing work. If I'm at work for 8 hours a day, that just means I'm at the office for 8 hours, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm engaged for all of those 8 hours.
I guess it’s different at work, we have a gym, a cafeteria, arcade, pool tables, etc at the office. So it’s not suffering fun things to be there and not feel like a drag. So it’s fun to pal around with the few people at work I can tolerate. I don’t even work traditional work hours, I come in when I need to run a meeting or speak to some CEO’s or board members for our clients and just do my thing with making them stay with us and buy more applications and services. Some days I work maybe 3-4hrs and it’s mostly meetings and projects I am working on, but there are other days where it’s like 10hr days with several time zones and meetings coordinating with those.

For me, being at home, it’s home. I want my home to be my home and not a place I call home and also do work in all the time. I need that boundary otherwise home doesn’t feel like home anymore.

I need that separation. My fiancé is also not a fan of working from home and misses her office. But at least I can go to my office now, she can’t.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I have up and down days for productivity both at home and the office. There is distractions at both ends.

Being home does mean I spend 90 minutes less travelling. I do have a couple friends at work too so I miss that interaction especially these days as I won’t go to pubs or anything right now and we currently have laws about going to other peoples places right now (you can’t)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thats cause you keep loggin in here and slangin wankers left and right
Can’t just throw around wankers all willy nilly, mate.

I do miss the days after a huge sales call, we’d have Mario Kart tournaments, loser had to take shots and we had 3 tv’s running and a bracket.

Now, we have “cheers” times on Friday’s after the usual Weekly round up Zoom meetings. So lame.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad