OT: HFPens Community Lounge: All Are Welcome (No, Not You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have anosmia. Weirdly he's not a big snorer.

:laugh:. Mr Lunch has a white chest and he's half grey now too but the blanket had white on it. Hope theres nothing wrong with him. He's sleeping on the pug couch in the kitchen. Unusual for him not to be in the living room with me,
Haha mate, nice name. Mr Lunch.

My Boston was Minnie because she was black and white with bat ears and my Mum got her a red and white polka dot collar when I first got her. I would wake up and find her sleeping on my back or in the middle of the night she’d wake me up by hopping on the bed and sleeping with her head on the pillow behind me and then I could smell the dog breath and yeah...not pleasant.

Whereas my German Shepherd, that weirdo would sleep with half the body hanging off the bed so it looked like my dog was cut in half.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Haha mate, nice name. Mr Lunch.

My Boston was Minnie because she was black and white with bat ears and my Mum got her a red and white polka dot collar when I first got her. I would wake up and find her sleeping on my back or in the middle of the night she’d wake me up by hopping on the bed and sleeping with her head on the pillow behind me and then I could smell the dog breath and yeah...not pleasant.

Whereas my German Shepherd, that weirdo would sleep with half the body hanging off the bed so it looked like my dog was cut in half.

Haha that’s awesome. Mr Lunch as a puppy for the first month or two slept next to or on my head.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haha that’s awesome. Mr Lunch as a puppy for the first month or two slept next to or on my head.
Oh when Minnie was a pup she'd keep barking like a squeaky toy because she was scared of sleeping in her little doggy bed, so I'd pick her up and put her on my chest while I was laying down to read and she'd fall asleep.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We were so gung ho about getting a dog to have with our kid, but now she's convinced me to wait until our kid would be 1 and then we'll look at options.

Also we need to actually have a kid first.

Same here, mate. Also, bringing two new things into this world in the middle of a horrible pandemic just seems wrong.

But I wanna get a little dog buddy so bad to come with me on my roadwork and summer hikes! :cry:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Buying a switch for my kid (and myself=])

Anyone have any recommendations... anything I should know to look out for.... or any kick ass games/accessories...

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Last night in NHL I won 8-7 without Jarry making a SINGLE save. Simply unprecedented.

Tristan Jarry... 7+ GAA, .000 SV%, and the Win

Attachments

• PXL_20210223_042719280.jpg
    PXL_20210223_042719280.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210223_042851355.jpg
    PXL_20210223_042851355.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: LOGiK and Tom Hanks

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Last night in NHL I won 8-7 without Jarry making a SINGLE save. Simply unprecedented.

Tristan Jarry... 7+ GAA, .000 SV%, and the Win

You could have played the entire game with the goalie pulled.

That would be even more unprecedented

Reactions: tom_servo

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Currently paying mortgage 60 miles from San Francisco

Seriously considering going back to renting

Cuts 100 mile daily commute in half

Access to much better outdoor activities

Renting sucks... In theory... But i think there will be a quality of life component here

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I was actually down 5-2 thinking, is this guy gonna shoot 100% on me? Well he still did but I sweated my way to victory.

What game/system/cpu or online?

---

That reminds me.... whatever happened to the online penguins league the board used to have?
I figure that would be a thing now more than ever before with the limited options of going out anymore

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
What game/system/cpu or online?

---

That reminds me.... whatever happened to the online penguins league the board used to have?
I figure that would be a thing now more than ever before with the limited options of going out anymore

XBox Series X (...brag). Competitive online versus.

Yeah I dunno. I'm maybe better than average. But I could not stop this guy's two on ones, it was embarrassing. My D was so slow.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Renting sucks... In theory... But i think there will be a quality of life component here

Never rented my entire life (not counting military housing). I couldn't imagine ever having a land lord...that just isn't going to fly with me.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Never rented my entire life (not counting military housing). I couldn't imagine ever having a land lord...that just isn't going to fly with me.

Wells Fargo and my wallet for repairs is already my land lord lol

And I fully understand california real estate makes no sense to anyone outside of NYC

Reactions: LOGiK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Renting as well as investing isn’t a bad thing.

You cut down costs on yearly maintenance on the house. More flexibility where you live and moving around.

The investing gives you long term gains to offset what a house would do.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Renting as well as investing isn’t a bad thing.

You cut down costs on yearly maintenance on the house. More flexibility where you live and moving around.

The investing gives you long term gains to offset what a house would do.

That's not a bad one two punch, actually

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
XBox Series X (...brag). Competitive online versus.

Yeah I dunno. I'm maybe better than average. But I could not stop this guy's two on ones, it was embarrassing. My D was so slow.

I'm def buying a switch for my kid, which of course I will use (fire emblem comes to mind and possibly hockey games), but I miss console's. Solely for hockey games, but my thing was NHL 2k and that is now defunct, which leaves me little reason to leave pc gaming... I also can't get into ea hockey, but I miss hockey games so much I may have to settle for ea brand hockey.

I've waited and waited and waited, but no other hockey game has ever seen the light of day outside of 2k/ea. Sucks man... not even Hitz anymore...

You really get humbled playing games online thats for sure. I always thought I was hot shit in the old ufc games by THQ (again, hate ea never played ufc ea) and when I was in the military at the barracks we'd all play everyone in a few games, ufc was one... i got obliterated by this guy... he just couldn't be beaten... and thats how I was playing with my friends... hmmm

Whats your record in online hockey?
You in a league?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Buying a switch for my kid (and myself=])

Anyone have any recommendations... anything I should know to look out for.... or any kick ass games/accessories...

What's your kid interested in?

I mean...Persona 5 Strikers comes out today ;)

There are entirely too many games on Switch and the Switch eShop is useless in terms of figuring out if a game is good...always do a quick Google search for a game + Switch reviews to see if the Switch version is worth anything or not. Assumptions should be easier to make than they are here...some games run way better than they have any business doing even in handheld, while others were clearly not made with the Switch in mind and are just shoved out to fulfil a checkbox. Bethesda's Doom games run way better than they should (though obviously still not the best way to play them), but Obsidian's The Outer Worlds is a cruel joke on the Switch (if you ever played Wolfenstein 3D or Doom on the SNES...or can imagine what those games would be like on the SNES...it's kinda like that).

Are you expecting to play mostly docked (TV) or handheld? The regular Switch that can be bought in stores has a significantly better battery than they used to, even better than the Mini's, so that makes figuring out which model to buy much easier. Buying a used one is tricky because of this, but if the Switch box is mostly red it has the newer battery (the change happened long enough ago that stock would have sold through a while ago). Newer limited edition versions, such as the Animal Crossing one I have, also have the upgraded battery.

Joy-cons still drift and Nintendo is still shitty about it, but you can at least buy individual ones now so that you don't end up with 1 working left joy-con and 4 working right ones like I have. If you plan on playing it docked for any amount of time at all I'd consider a Switch Pro controller an absolute must.

Games...man, too many. Too damn many. The Switch has taken the role of multiple competing platforms of old and as such the games library is huge and varied...you have your weirdo T & M-rated Japanese-as-f*** games that would only make it across the ocean on the PSP or Vita before it, you get your mid-sized Nintendo handheld-ish games (which creates some real pricing headaches as Nintendo loves charging $60 for ports of old games that cost $40 years ago), you have your world-class indie games, your iPhone/Google Play-level trash indies made by one person in an afternoon, you have your Wii-esque shovelware (including re-releases of Wii shovelware), your big tent Nintendo AAA games, and multiplatform third party releases (which still weird me out seeing on a Nintendo platform, though these will likely get more rare as the hardware gap intensifies). There's a good amount of something for everyone on the Switch, basically.

I'm expecting/hoping for a glut of Atlus releases on the Switch moving forward, just in case there weren't enough massive time-sinks already on the platform as-is.

Hades was my GOTY among games I finished/wasn't a remake and comes with the highest of recommendations, even if you hate rogue-likes...actually especially if you hate those kinds of games. One of those games where every aspect of the studio was clicking at nearly every step...the story is interesting and doled out in a tantalizing way, the gameplay is satisfying even if you're a button-masher, the game balance is as good as I've ever played, the art is just insanely good, voice acting is ace...there was nothing about a rogue-like hack-n-slash game set in Greek mythology that should have appealed to me, and yet...just be warned that Greek mythology without going through the Disneyification sterilization means this game earns its T rating.

Since you seem to be enjoying P4G I'll say keep an eye on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore going on sale sometime. This is a real hard one to sell to people because it is the most Japanese-ass JRPG I can fathom and it's hard to separate it from not being what people wanted when they heard about a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover (Persona is a spin-off of SMT)...but it has one of my top 3 turn-based battle systems ever and the Tokyo idol setting makes for a good change-of-pace game if you need a break from a more serious game. This is a really weird game to try to sell people on, especially as it's more of a idol-themed SMT spin-off with some familiar Fire Emblem names thrown in...but if you're enjoying P4G and you end up liking a certain character you'll be meeting soon there, you'll probably like this game.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a must. Tons of game there, too.

Unfortunately the Switch has not reversed the trend of Nintendo being the worst platform for sports games...but with the condition most sports games are in right now, you're really not missing much unless you're addicted to throwing money away on virtual card packs.

Reactions: tom_servo and LOGiK

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm def buying a switch for my kid, which of course I will use (fire emblem comes to mind and possibly hockey games), but I miss console's. Solely for hockey games, but my thing was NHL 2k and that is now defunct, which leaves me little reason to leave pc gaming... I also can't get into ea hockey, but I miss hockey games so much I may have to settle for ea brand hockey.

I've waited and waited and waited, but no other hockey game has ever seen the light of day outside of 2k/ea. Sucks man... not even Hitz anymore...

You really get humbled playing games online thats for sure. I always thought I was hot shit in the old ufc games by THQ (again, hate ea never played ufc ea) and when I was in the military at the barracks we'd all play everyone in a few games, ufc was one... i got obliterated by this guy... he just couldn't be beaten... and thats how I was playing with my friends... hmmm

Whats your record in online hockey?
You in a league?

I'm probably .500 right now. I rarely get smoked but it has happened. Not in a league. Yeah it's EA but I'm kind of a sucker for FIFA and Madden also. I have GamePass which now includes EA Access, meaning 10-hour trials for each game and extra discounts. I think I got NHL 21 at 50% off.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What's your kid interested in?

I mean...Persona 5 Strikers comes out today ;)

There are entirely too many games on Switch and the Switch eShop is useless in terms of figuring out if a game is good...always do a quick Google search for a game + Switch reviews to see if the Switch version is worth anything or not. Assumptions should be easier to make than they are here...some games run way better than they have any business doing even in handheld, while others were clearly not made with the Switch in mind and are just shoved out to fulfil a checkbox. Bethesda's Doom games run way better than they should (though obviously still not the best way to play them), but Obsidian's The Outer Worlds is a cruel joke on the Switch (if you ever played Wolfenstein 3D or Doom on the SNES...or can imagine what those games would be like on the SNES...it's kinda like that).

Are you expecting to play mostly docked (TV) or handheld? The regular Switch that can be bought in stores has a significantly better battery than they used to, even better than the Mini's, so that makes figuring out which model to buy much easier. Buying a used one is tricky because of this, but if the Switch box is mostly red it has the newer battery (the change happened long enough ago that stock would have sold through a while ago). Newer limited edition versions, such as the Animal Crossing one I have, also have the upgraded battery.

Joy-cons still drift and Nintendo is still shitty about it, but you can at least buy individual ones now so that you don't end up with 1 working left joy-con and 4 working right ones like I have. If you plan on playing it docked for any amount of time at all I'd consider a Switch Pro controller an absolute must.

Games...man, too many. Too damn many. The Switch has taken the role of multiple competing platforms of old and as such the games library is huge and varied...you have your weirdo T & M-rated Japanese-as-f*** games that would only make it across the ocean on the PSP or Vita before it, you get your mid-sized Nintendo handheld-ish games (which creates some real pricing headaches as Nintendo loves charging $60 for ports of old games that cost $40 years ago), you have your world-class indie games, your iPhone/Google Play-level trash indies made by one person in an afternoon, you have your Wii-esque shovelware (including re-releases of Wii shovelware), your big tent Nintendo AAA games, and multiplatform third party releases (which still weird me out seeing on a Nintendo platform, though these will likely get more rare as the hardware gap intensifies). There's a good amount of something for everyone on the Switch, basically.

I'm expecting/hoping for a glut of Atlus releases on the Switch moving forward, just in case there weren't enough massive time-sinks already on the platform as-is.

Hades was my GOTY among games I finished/wasn't a remake and comes with the highest of recommendations, even if you hate rogue-likes...actually especially if you hate those kinds of games. One of those games where every aspect of the studio was clicking at nearly every step...the story is interesting and doled out in a tantalizing way, the gameplay is satisfying even if you're a button-masher, the game balance is as good as I've ever played, the art is just insanely good, voice acting is ace...there was nothing about a rogue-like hack-n-slash game set in Greek mythology that should have appealed to me, and yet...just be warned that Greek mythology without going through the Disneyification sterilization means this game earns its T rating.

Since you seem to be enjoying P4G I'll say keep an eye on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore going on sale sometime. This is a real hard one to sell to people because it is the most Japanese-ass JRPG I can fathom and it's hard to separate it from not being what people wanted when they heard about a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover (Persona is a spin-off of SMT)...but it has one of my top 3 turn-based battle systems ever and the Tokyo idol setting makes for a good change-of-pace game if you need a break from a more serious game. This is a really weird game to try to sell people on, especially as it's more of a idol-themed SMT spin-off with some familiar Fire Emblem names thrown in...but if you're enjoying P4G and you end up liking a certain character you'll be meeting soon there, you'll probably like this game.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a must. Tons of game there, too.

Unfortunately the Switch has not reversed the trend of Nintendo being the worst platform for sports games...but with the condition most sports games are in right now, you're really not missing much unless you're addicted to throwing money away on virtual card packs.

Hot damn bigs... thats a post all right.

I dont have too much time so,

I saw that about the battery and the red box as opposed to white box - thanks
Drifting controls... hmmm... mostly tv for my daughter, who really loves the wii, so simple games like the wii sports stuff, but better graphics / more options for my kid
I just got hades yesterday actually, but for pc
I'm still on P4G before I move to another P game =] --- About P3 being much darker in story, that has me really interested... I like dark.
Since I'm in a huge jap game/anime push now, I wouldn't mind checking out other games... I used to love jap games on the PS1/PS2, before the american games craze started. (halo / gta-open worlds / shooters online)
Def be getting FE, I been wanting that for the longest time... you nubsy and who every else was talking about it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm probably .500 right now. I rarely get smoked but it has happened. Not in a league. Yeah it's EA but I'm kind of a sucker for FIFA and Madden also. I have GamePass which now includes EA Access, meaning 10-hour trials for each game and extra discounts. I think I got NHL 21 at 50% off.
Yeah I hear that is a must for gaming now-a-days.
FIFA is good though.... the only ea sports game where they don't half-ass the development. FIFA also has 100million futbol crazed fans that would go crazy if that game got half assed like NHL games.
They also have PES though... the 2k-like option to futbol...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hot damn bigs... thats a post all right.

I dont have too much time so,

I saw that about the battery and the red box as opposed to white box - thanks
Drifting controls... hmmm... mostly tv for my daughter, who really loves the wii, so simple games like the wii sports stuff, but better graphics / more options for my kid
I just got hades yesterday actually, but for pc
I'm still on P4G before I move to another P game =] --- About P3 being much darker in story, that has me really interested... I like dark.
Since I'm in a huge jap game/anime push now, I wouldn't mind checking out other games... I used to love jap games on the PS1/PS2, before the american games craze started. (halo / gta-open worlds / shooters online)
Def be getting FE, I been wanting that for the longest time... you nubsy and who every else was talking about it.

Definitely keep playing Persona that way. 3 is the darkest of the 'modern' trio. I know more than a few who consider it their favorite of the series. Personally I just recommend 3 before 5 because of the quality of life improvements added through the years after 3 (neither PS2 version lets you control your party members, for example, and there is way too much RNG when it comes to persona fusion for my liking). It's a great game and deserves to be played, but it is easy to see how much bigger and better the studio became as they gained experience and figured out what works best.
The only thing that would have me saying hold on there is that I'm hopeful that a Persona 3 remake/remaster is coming. The 'best' version of that game being on the PSP and the series exploding in popularity (relative terms) makes it a real pain in the ass unless you already have a working PSP or Vita. Atlus was doing the market research you'd expect to see from a move like that and the PC port of P4G was an overwhelming success, but who the hell knows.
5 was my favorite game of the decade and is my favorite game first played as an adult...so...I really hope you make it through all 3 :D

Awesome on the Hades get. Hope you enjoy it.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is frequently on sale and is an easy recommendation from me. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is a hidden gem from a few months ago. Most indies I'd recommend are on other platforms, too (Kentucky Route Zero, Spiritfarer, Into the Breach,

I'd recommend Trails of Cold Steel if the first 2 games of that series were on the Switch and I didn't already try to sell you on multiple 75+ hour games.

Throwback recommendation: Grandia HD Collection. The original is a sentimental favorite (one of my top 10 games) while 2 has probably my favorite turn-based battle system ever. The original had a terrible translation that has been re-translated and the sequel was only truly playable on the Dreamcast until this (the PS2 & original PC ports were legendarily bad).

Oh, and do not get FIFA on Switch. Do not get FIFA on Switch. That concludes this public service announcement.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Definitely keep playing Persona that way. 3 is the darkest of the 'modern' trio. I know more than a few who consider it their favorite of the series. Personally I just recommend 3 before 5 because of the quality of life improvements added through the years after 3 (neither PS2 version lets you control your party members, for example, and there is way too much RNG when it comes to persona fusion for my liking). It's a great game and deserves to be played, but it is easy to see how much bigger and better the studio became as they gained experience and figured out what works best.
The only thing that would have me saying hold on there is that I'm hopeful that a Persona 3 remake/remaster is coming. The 'best' version of that game being on the PSP and the series exploding in popularity (relative terms) makes it a real pain in the ass unless you already have a working PSP or Vita. Atlus was doing the market research you'd expect to see from a move like that and the PC port of P4G was an overwhelming success, but who the hell knows.
5 was my favorite game of the decade and is my favorite game first played as an adult...so...I really hope you make it through all 3 :D

Awesome on the Hades get. Hope you enjoy it.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is frequently on sale and is an easy recommendation from me. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is a hidden gem from a few months ago. Most indies I'd recommend are on other platforms, too (Kentucky Route Zero, Spiritfarer, Into the Breach,

I'd recommend Trails of Cold Steel if the first 2 games of that series were on the Switch and I didn't already try to sell you on multiple 75+ hour games.

Throwback recommendation: Grandia HD Collection. The original is a sentimental favorite (one of my top 10 games) while 2 has probably my favorite turn-based battle system ever. The original had a terrible translation that has been re-translated and the sequel was only truly playable on the Dreamcast until this (the PS2 & original PC ports were legendarily bad).

Oh, and do not get FIFA on Switch. Do not get FIFA on Switch. That concludes this public service announcement.

Ok sounds good.

Yeah I'll get to Hades, after P4G most likely.
Played and love Valk Chron... 4 you said... I think that is the one I played, but never got far into... but I loved it. Just busy with other games when I tried it.
Played K: route zero about a year or so ago, I was in the mines and I think the final episode wasn't out yet so I stopped so I could go through the whole thing at once. Interesting game.

Currently installed:
Factorio
P4G
Outer Wilds
Disco Elysium
Super Mega Baseball 3
Crusader Kings 3
Cloudpunk
Minecraft (for ma kid)

Really only playing SMB3, P4G atm... even though I been off about..... 16 days out of the last 23 days due to snow... I STILL haven't had time to sit and game.... I just love being with my kid too much, but I still need me time, which is when I roll p4g or smb3.

CK3 is great, I have such nasty stories to say from my game play... it really is the coolest sandbox game I ever played... but it's so complex and tiring it takes a bit to muster up the gusto to play it... I don't wanna screw up or start something that will destroy my time and effort. Really difficult game to learn the ins and outs of... after hundreds of hours I still have no idea how to actual master that game.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad