OT: HFPens Community Lounge: All Are Welcome (No, Not You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
ydnuooto8uj61.jpg
It's jokes like this that got me my fiancé. Never give up hope mate.

Reactions: LOGiK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Going to be brewing another beer today. I'm going for a Strong Ale. Should be around 7.5% when it's finished.

I hate when people call Crafton (my home town) part of the South Hills. For starters, it's nearly due west of the point. It's also next to the WEST END and WESTWOOD. And it doesn't have access to the T, which I pretty much count as a requirement to be considered part of the South Hills.
You better name it

Buttery Nubbs Strong Ale

Work: we want to invent the wheel
Me: well, it is already invented. This is the wheel, this is how it works, it rolls and is circular and stuff, reinventing it wont get us anywhere
Work: we are going to reinvent it
Work: this is the wheel, it rolls, and is circular and stuff
Me: no shit, idiots, nothing has changed, I already told you I figured out the best wheel already, f***
Work: well, just do more paperwork and show that the wheel is the wheel
Me: f*** off

My work likes to take my f***ing ideas (and from a lot of others) and then try to spin it off as if they came up with it. Well my boss, the VP. One of the blokes on the board knows this and has mentioned it to him several times "HOG actually proposed that a few months ago, via mail directly to me and a few of the other members of the board"...

So yeah my VP hates me. But I also don't care because he's an idea stealing wanker that has his timing coming to an end slowly and he knows it.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's because you'll be playing it more than they will mate. You know it.

I'm just worried because there is no updated wii sports simple title. She plays that more than anything.

If I decide to get zelda and fire emblem you bet I'll play it more... butttttttttt I am getting it for her, so I may hold off on the stuff for me for awhile heh...

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Odd. All signs point to my beer coming out around the right ABV. But I just took a measurement and it's indicating it's significantly low. This was supposed to be my birthday beer so I'm gonna be pissssssssed if it comes out wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Odd. All signs point to my beer coming out around the right ABV. But I just took a measurement and it's indicating it's significantly low. This was supposed to be my birthday beer so I'm gonna be pissssssssed if it comes out wrong.

I think that means you had some bad yeast. I haven't brewed stuff in a while, but that happened with one of my batches IIRC.

I need to start brewing stuff again now that I have the space for it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think that means you had some bad yeast. I haven't brewed stuff in a while, but that happened with one of my batches IIRC.

I need to start brewing stuff again now that I have the space for it.

This measurement was before I added the yeast -- the original gravity. Maybe I mixed it poorly and most of the water I added to get to 5 gallons was still sitting at the top?

I had 9 pounds of grains separated into 3 3 pound grain socks. All soaked for about 20 minutes. Then I added 3 pounds of liquid malt and 1 of dry malt and mixed that in thoroughly. Then a hop boil for 60 minutes.

No clue where all the sugar would've gone?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Throw some gin in there. Infuse that son'bitch.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This measurement was before I added the yeast -- the original gravity. Maybe I mixed it poorly and most of the water I added to get to 5 gallons was still sitting at the top?

I had 9 pounds of grains separated into 3 3 pound grain socks. All soaked for about 20 minutes. Then I added 3 pounds of liquid malt and 1 of dry malt and mixed that in thoroughly. Then a hop boil for 60 minutes.

No clue where all the sugar would've gone?

Yeah I think that's possible, too. Although I think it may be worth comparing your current gravity to the gravity stated in the instructions. It's possible your first measurement was just off and it's actually fine.

But if the first measurement was good, I'd guess it was just bad yeast.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah I think that's possible, too. Although I think it may be worth comparing your current gravity to the gravity stated in the instructions. It's possible your first measurement was just off and it's actually fine.

But if the first measurement was good, I'd guess it was just bad yeast.

After more research, it looks like I'm not supposed to sanitize the hydrometer and tube while getting my OG reading. Throws off the readings. Still, didn't feel like it had much sugar in it (compared to my past beers).

And this was an original recipe. I had the OG range open in a calculator, but closed that tab. Even then, the OG reading I got was like 1.012 which is barely above water. :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
After more research, it looks like I'm not supposed to sanitize the hydrometer and tube while getting my OG reading. Throws off the readings. Still, didn't feel like it had much sugar in it (compared to my past beers).

And this was an original recipe. I had the OG range open in a calculator, but closed that tab. Even then, the OG reading I got was like 1.012 which is barely above water. :laugh:
That seems weird, OG must have been off for sure? Like you say, "water". The hydrometer works by the mechanism of gravity, nothing else, and the sanitization of wort through tubes shouldn't materially affect measurement, and the surface area of the hydro is way too small to affect the wort How vigorously did your wort bubble in the first few days of fermentation? Maybe your yeast was bad, though I've never encountered that in a 100 brews. But I generally cheat with a yeast starter, getting a full agitated/bubbling yeast in an E-flask a couple of days before the brew. Can't recommend this step enough. Good luck. Sometimes it is just patience with this stuff, it may turn out, just not in time for your B'day. I've not had many bad brews, but shit happens, I guess.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That seems weird, OG must have been off for sure? Like you say, "water". The hydrometer works by the mechanism of gravity, nothing else, and the sanitization of wort through tubes shouldn't materially affect measurement, and the surface area of the hydro is way too small to affect the wort How vigorously did your wort bubble in the first few days of fermentation? Maybe your yeast was bad, though I've never encountered that in a 100 brews. But I generally cheat with a yeast starter, getting a full agitated/bubbling yeast in an E-flask a couple of days before the brew. Can't recommend this step enough. Good luck. Sometimes it is just patience with this stuff, it may turn out, just not in time for your B'day. I've not had many bad brews, but shit happens, I guess.

Right now (10AM EST) isn't even 24 hours since I chilled to 70°F, added my water to get to 5 gallons, and then took my OG reading.

Recipe and anticipated stats:

ZxAIJGh.png

I dropped the DME down to just 1 pound which changed the ABV to 8.2% and equivalent OG and FG.

tenor.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok, so I'm avoiding the board because I am still watching last nights game, 2-2 in the 2nd.... and I'm trying to avoid spoilers but wanted to come to say I got the switch!

Man.... after a decade of the wii control, never playing the wiiu, having to learn new wii-ish controls is weird.

I bought the base system and two kiddo games (nothing for me yet) and found out the official nintendo joy cons cost 90 dollars !? dafrig is that about!? Anyone know if any off-brands are near the same quality or just stick with the nintendo brand?

I never knew the switch was touch screen too.... have no idea how I didnt know that... I always figured it wasn't. So thats a cool surprise.

and damn... 3-2 isles right as I go to hit reply.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok, so I'm avoiding the board because I am still watching last nights game, 2-2 in the 2nd.... and I'm trying to avoid spoilers but wanted to come to say I got the switch!

Man.... after a decade of the wii control, never playing the wiiu, having to learn new wii-ish controls is weird.

I bought the base system and two kiddo games (nothing for me yet) and found out the official nintendo joy cons cost 90 dollars !? dafrig is that about!? Anyone know if any off-brands are near the same quality or just stick with the nintendo brand?

I never knew the switch was touch screen too.... have no idea how I didnt know that... I always figured it wasn't. So thats a cool surprise.

yeah the controllers are way too expensive these days. I don't know of any decent off brands.

Also, I have a switch and I totally forgot it had a touch screen too. Even when I use it as a portable, I usually hold the controllers separately and set the base up with the kickstand.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
yeah the controllers are way too expensive these days. I don't know of any decent off brands.

Also, I have a switch and I totally forgot it had a touch screen too. Even when I use it as a portable, I usually hold the controllers separately and set the base up with the kickstand.

Yeah, it also says the battery life is 6-10 hours or whatever of the console... but how about the joy cons? How long you get out of those when it's in dock mode... I really don't trust a soon-to-be 8 year old carrying around a switch just yet. Got her the new nintendo dsi and told her not to drop it, since she had it... roughly 4-5 months it's been dropped probably 50 times.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

The joy-cons are a sick joke...they're so expensive because they're filled with technology that never get used and the sticks are cheaply held on their axis in a way that inevitably results in drift after extended or hard use. As with pretty much every system I can't suggest going third party controllers, but Hori is probably as good as it is going to get for third party controllers (Hori is at least better than most third party brands of yore as they're licensed). The Pro Controller is an absolute must IMO.

The screen being touch-capable is really a nice bonus, but rarely gets mentioned because you need to be playing it handheld to get the benefit of it and few games really take advantage of it. It's a nice luxury in handheld mode, though.

Which games did you get the kiddo?

Yeah, it also says the battery life is 6-10 hours or whatever of the console... but how about the joy cons? How long you get out of those when it's in dock mode... I really don't trust a soon-to-be 8 year old carrying around a switch just yet. Got her the new nintendo dsi and told her not to drop it, since she had it... roughly 4-5 months it's been dropped probably 50 times.

Wasn't the DSi the last Nintendo-made system known for being practically indestructible? The 3DS certainly wasn't and the Switch is borderline fragile. Times have changed...though a well-built Switch is inherently heavier and more expensive.

The joycon batteries...I honestly don't even know the answer to that. I've never had mine off of the Switch for long enough to come close to needing to charge them (if my Switch is docked I'm playing with the Pro controller). Those things are just too small for even my tiny hands...probably perfect for a soon-to-be 8 year-old, though.

edit: I should say the Switch itself isn't borderline fragile, just the joycons themselves...but if you have a Switch Mini they're one and the same. The Switch itself is perfectly sturdy...if you do something to smash the screen you will smash the screen, but I've dropped it a few times on hardwood floors and not had so much as a scratch appear. Given your use-case I'd suggest picking up a <$10 screen protector, just to be safe though.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The joy-cons are a sick joke...they're so expensive because they're filled with technology that never get used and the sticks are cheaply held on their axis in a way that inevitably results in drift after extended or hard use. As with pretty much every system I can't suggest going third party controllers, but Hori is probably as good as it is going to get for third party controllers (Hori is at least better than most third party brands of yore). The Pro Controller is an absolute must IMO.

The screen being touch-capable is really a nice bonus, but rarely gets mentioned because you need to be playing it handheld to get the benefit of it and few games really take advantage of it. It's a nice luxury in handheld mode, though.

Which games did you get the kiddo?

Yeah touch screen is super nice for my kid, she is a big touch screener. I guess in todays tech world it would be kind of weird to not have a portable screen that doesnt have touch features.

Well... I got minecraft (marks the 4th time I bought the game over 10 years now (java, windows 10 (for ray tracing) new dsi, switch =O) and trying to find a suitable replacement for wii-sports I bought mario/sonic 2020 olympics. Games are friggin outrageously expensive, which is why I may mod simply because I have to try 20 or so games to find one the kid will really take to.

Like I said before, she's not realy a 'gamer' gamer... she just likes to fiddle around in wii sports playing simple motion games of tennis... bowling... etc. As she gets older she'll appreciate the switch more, but I told wifey, it's not like wii sports is gone... it's one input change away on the tv.... plus all the new games on the switch and minecraft on the go.

But we can't really play anything two players until I fork out nearly 200 dollars for 2 more control sets.... crickey...

I am going to the used game store to pick up more games, we went late last night so the used shop was closed by the time we bought the switch. Pick up maybe mario party or new mario brothers side scroller title and possibly mario party for the joy con friendly mini games. Oh and snipper clips too... I refuse to pay full price for games... especially since nintendo games are sd cards, used games can't possibly be scratched as if they were disc's.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad