Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That outlook is hilarious - as is the one Lundqvist should just forego the last year of his mutually agreed upon contract because there's no market for him and/or retiring would help the team. Talk about what have you done for me lately.

Personally, Im not losing sleep on how this turns out. The Rangers aren't serious contenders next year, and I don't believe his cap hit for one more season will be a significant roadblock to bettering the team over that time. In other words, it doesn't sit right with me to kick a legend out of town just for some short-term cap flexibility. If this was 2-3 years from now, I'd probably feel differently.

There are some really flat out dopey and unrealistic takes out there about this. I mean, yeah, if he retired would that help Gorton sleep better at night in the off season knowing he's got more cash to work with? Sure. Is that a compelling reason for him to retire? Hell no. Some people around here would have you believe he's so done he couldn't play a pick up game of ball hockey in the neighborhood. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Still not awful numbers though.

Especially when you consider the numbers in context - the team in front of him, the spot starts in the last 2 months of the season, etc...

Even with all of that, he's one QS away from having identical numbers to Georgiev who people are peddling on here as a starter and deserves a 2nd round draft pick+

It's nonsense. It's making excuses why a guy should retire and we can go get a 2nd line center to fill a gap with the extra cap space.

Maybe signing Hayes and trading Kreider would've made more sense? IDK, I still don't love Hayes. At all. But, I'd take him over Strome.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
No matter what people think the king is still a quality keeper, even if hes not a top goalie anymore. His cap hit is what makes him hard to move.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Georgiev should be moved for the right price regardless, and Staal is the correct buyout.

Hank retiring is obviously the best scenario for the Rangers, but I would much rather if he played as an above average backup (on league minimum, if longer than this year) for as long as possible. I don't care what is slightly better in this case; I want the biggest sports idol I've ever had to lift the Stanley Cup above his head.

maris

Oct 20, 2005
We all wish Hank would retire to save big cap space for the team. But the likely truth is that Hank is not walking away from 8 million dollars. This is his last big pay check. No one walks away or at least its a rare bird that does . So I suggest everyone stop dreaming that Hank is going to retire.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The fact that he's 38, average-ish and carries the cap hit of an elite player is what makes him hard to justify. If we base our valuations of players based on the play-in round then it's hard to justify keeping about 15 other guys on the team.

i know he’s done along with Staal. I have more faith in the kids and future without Hank than with him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We all wish Hank would retire to save big cap space for the team. But the likely truth is that Hank is not walking away from 8 million dollars. This is his last big pay check. No one walks away or at least its a rare bird that does . So I suggest everyone stop dreaming that Hank is going to retire.
Your general point is correct that it's rare for players to walk away from big money, but he's owed $5.5M next season. $8.5M is the cap hit. Although his take-home pay is probably half that $5.5M.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
he’s going to be bought out and then what? He’s not playing here those are his options.

he’s not owed 8.5 miion. Think it’s 5 mil he’s still owed After escrow and the actual buyout is it worth it? Where he going? He can stay and live in NY and work for the organization if he wants to

He has a 1m signing bonus, and 4.5m base salary in his final year. I calculated his net pay of that 4.5m after taxes, escrow, agent fees etc and it is closer to 1.6m.

When Datsyuk retired from the NHL, he also walked away from 5.5m that was owed to him. Nobody brings that up

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Georgiev goes to the AHL, Hank starts the first game of the season and announces his retirement at a postgame presser where the retirement of his jersey number is also announced, Georgiev is back for game two and beyond. Everybody wins. Yay.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
If Hank doesn't retired the Rangers will probably release him. I think Hank is too proud to let that happen. My guess is they give him a job in the organization where he makes up the last year of his contract financially.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
When Datsyuk retired from the NHL, he also walked away from 5.5m that was owed to him. Nobody brings that up

Nobody mentions either that he won a couple of Cups and his family, who he wanted to be closer to, lived in Russia and was a big part of his decision to live there and play there.

Lundqvist's family lives and grew up in NY. The situations are different.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If Hank doesn't retired the Rangers will probably release him. I think Hank is too proud to let that happen. My guess is they give him a job in the organization where he makes up the last year of his contract financially.

The Rangers can't "release him" and then re-hire him - otherwise every team in the league would do it as soon as a player wasn't living up to their contract. Not an option.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers can't "release him" and then re-hire him - otherwise every team in the league would do it as soon as a player wasn't living up to their contract. Not an option.
I know this and I'm fully on board with not trying to circumvent the cap. I still often wonder if one of the other companies associated with MSG could keep him on the payroll for a year as a "brand ambassador" or something and ask him to do basically nothing.

I'm sure that could work, but if the arrangement came to light it would likely end with the Rangers facing severe punishment, far worse that NJD for Kovalchuk or anything. Even if we could make it work and seem legitimate, I'm sure the risk far outweighs the reward.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
He has a 1m signing bonus, and 4.5m base salary in his final year. I calculated his net pay of that 4.5m after taxes, escrow, agent fees etc and it is closer to 1.6m.

I didn't realize that. Excellent point. If he can receive his 1 million signing bonus and then retire, which would mean he is walking away with less than 2 million (net) it seems like a win for everyone. No one thinks the King is enamored with being a back-up anyway. And he would leave in an honorable way, helping the franchise enormously by freeing up so much cap space and helping Georgiev too, rather than hanging on to collect a relatively modest paycheck for someone with his wealth. If he chooses to stay in NY and raise his kids here he will be the greatest icon at MSG for decades, surpassing Gilbert, Messier, etc.

People with Henrik's class and wealth don't necessarily have to scrounge for every penny, like many of us do.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

To this point, I think there are a lot of compelling reasons for why Hank wouldn't retire... but I don't think the money he'd leave on the table is one of them.

Reactions: Leetch3

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I know this and I'm fully on board with not trying to circumvent the cap. I still often wonder if one of the other companies associated with MSG could keep him on the payroll for a year as a "brand ambassador" or something and ask him to do basically nothing.

I'm sure that could work, but if the arrangement came to light it would likely end with the Rangers facing severe punishment, far worse that NJD for Kovalchuk or anything. Even if we could make it work and seem legitimate, I'm sure the risk far outweighs the reward.

rehiring him is not circumventing the cap. Might have to wait for a year but there is nothing wrong with Hank obtaining employment with the Rangers being his contract expired.

This isn’t a player owned $20 million over multiple years who gets cut and the next day he’s offered a $20 million dollar internal position within the same org.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
rehiring him is not circumventing the cap. Might have to wait for a year but there is nothing wrong with Hank obtaining employment with the Rangers being his contract expired.

This isn’t a player owned $20 million over multiple years who gets cut and the next day he’s offered a $20 million dollar internal position within the same org.
Agreed - in fact given the Rangers history with past players it would be shocking if they didn't offer Hank a post playing career position. No one could creditably argue that it was cap circumvention unless they offered him the same salary.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Georgiev goes to the AHL, Hank starts the first game of the season and announces his retirement at a postgame presser where the retirement of his jersey number is also announced, Georgiev is back for game two and beyond. Everybody wins. Yay.

yes putting georgiev on waivers and losing him for nothing is a brilliant idea

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
When is hank due that signing bonus?

because that looks like a real legit part a possible agreement to retire instead of being bought out. NYR can agree to pay that bonus if he agrees to retirement

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When is hank due that signing bonus?

because that looks like a real legit part a possible agreement to retire instead of being bought out. NYR can agree to pay that bonus if he agrees to retirement

Although there has not been official confirmation, the new season starts Nov 1st, and that should be the day signing bonuses are paid out and no move clauses kick in.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Although there has not been official confirmation, the new season starts Nov 1st, and that should be the day signing bonuses are paid out and no move clauses kick in.

I thought they already paid out the signing bonuses?

NHL to pay out $300M in scheduled signing bonuses despite shortened season: report

The NHL has decided not to defer the more than $300 million in signing bonuses scheduled to be paid out on Wednesday despite the shortened season, reports say.

Reactions: Leetch3

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

“Releasing” him is. They can’t do that. They’re free to hire him in whatever capacity if he’s bought out or retires but he can’t be “released”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad