Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Henrik is the best goalie the Rangers have ever had and the only Ranger goalie that I consider the best goalie of his time during my hockey watching career, and I go back to Giacomin. Even though his contract may hurt the team now I have no regrets. He's more than earned it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As far as I'm concerned, Henrik is the best goalie the Rangers have ever had and the only Ranger goalie that I consider the best goalie of his time during my hockey watching career, and I go back to Giacomin. Even though his contract may hurt the team now I have no regrets. He's more than earned it.

How is his contract hurting the team? They're a helluva lot further then $8M away from competing, so we should all just be enjoying his ride into the sunset.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I've seen a lot of talk about how our goalies aren't really doing a good enough job while citing their respective Sv%, which aren't exactly in the top of the league. I just wanted to show everyone what happens when you use xG as the basis for goalie performance rather than just counted shots and goals.

Here are the top 30 goalies with 300+ minutes (total sample: 57 goalies) in terms of goals saved above expectation per game (all situations):

upload_2019-11-22_0-40-1.png

*When Natural Stat Trick lists GSAA/60 they do so only in terms of regular save %, which isn't the way Corsica did it with xG. I have here recalculated it with xG instead.

As @Mac n Gs pointed out in some other thread, we are giving our goalies an insanely difficult task and they are doing a very good job with it.

This is the goaltending stat that has had Hank as the best goalie in the league pretty much every year between 2007-08 and 2015-16 and on aggregate has him so far ahead of his peers they might as well play different sports.

Another note is that we can clearly see how the increase in scoring isn't coming from a higher degree of dangerous shots, but what looks like a general increase in shooting percentage. The xG algorithm is trained on historical data, where scoring was lower. If the increase was merely teams generating more dangerous chances, the goalies would perform "average" according to GSAA but only 16/57 goalies have managed to do that so far this year (and we it last year as well). So Georgiev's +0.04 is actually +0.35 compared to the average GSAA/60 among these 57 goalies (-0.31) and Hank's +0.2 is more akin to a +0.55.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The King now sits alone in 5th all time for wins on 455.
He turns 38 before the season ends, and has one more year on his current contract while needing 30 more wins to pass Belfour for 4th and 36 to pass Luongo.
Very unlikely he can get to Roy's 551, but I'm assuming the general consensus is that he'll retire 3rd all time?

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
LUNDQVIST PASSES JOSEPH FOR FIFTH PLACE ON ALL-TIME WINS LIST

Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist made 26 saves to earn his 455th career regular-season win and pass Curtis Joseph (454) for sole possession of fifth place on the NHL’s all-time list.

Lundqvist-5thWins_media-26122437.png

* Lundqvist appeared in his 871st career regular-season game – the 10th-highest total by a goaltender in NHL history and the sixth-most by any player in Rangers annals behind Harry Howell (1,160), Brian Leetch (1,129), Rod Gilbert (1,065), Ron Greschner (981) and Walt Tkaczuk (945).

* Of the four goaltenders ahead of Lundqvist on the all-time wins list, only two had more victories through their 871st career regular-season game: Martin Brodeur (483) and Patrick Roy (464). Roberto Luongo owned 404 regular-season wins through his 871st career appearance, while Ed Belfour had 443.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fleury isn’t far behind and playing on a better team. Unfortunately, I think he’ll retire with more W’s than Henrik.

Unfortunately, that's the downside of goalie milestones --- they can be very dependent on things that are out of a goalie's control.

In Fleury's case, he went from a stacked Pittsburgh team to a stacked Las Vegas team. There's not a huge sample size of what he'd look like playing on a poor team.

In Lundqvist's case, his decision to remain with the Rangers will probably end up costing him quite a few wins. He never enjoyed a scenario where the team around him made up the difference when he was no longer at his very best. If he does to a top team, that doesn't require him to have to be Superman, he's probably doing just fine.

At the end of the day, the top three goalies in wins will all be French-Canadian guys. And it will happen not because there's some kind of secret sauce, but because their careers happen happened to follow a most fortuitous path --- either be design, or simply by good fortune.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Unfortunately, that's the downside of goalie milestones --- they can be very dependent on things that are out of a goalie's control.

In Fleury's case, he went from a stacked Pittsburgh team to a stacked Las Vegas team. There's not a huge sample size of what he'd look like playing on a poor team.

In Lundqvist's case, his decision to remain with the Rangers will probably end up costing him quite a few wins. He never enjoyed a scenario where the team around him made up the difference when he was no longer at his very best. If he does to a top team, that doesn't require him to have to be Superman, he's probably doing just fine.

At the end of the day, the top three goalies in wins will all be French-Canadian guys. And it will happen not because there's some kind of secret sauce, but because their careers happen happened to follow a most fortuitous path --- either be design, or simply by good fortune.
Depending on how you define "top three". But, yes.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

MAF also had like a 3 year head start in the NHL.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i love the idea of a post hank tandem of georgiev & shesty but hank doesn't look like a guy that is ready to retire anytime soon...honestly would it surprise anyone to see hank sign another contract after the current one and finish his career as a tandem and eventually backup for 1 of those 2?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I want Henrik to play here as long as possible. Would hate to see MAF end up higher in wins because of the teams he played for. Lundqvist is the best goalie since he came in the league by far but has always been overshadowed by flashes in the pan who were never nearly as consistent.

Also LMAO Carey Price, I will never understand the media obsession with this guy.

Reactions: Harbour Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad